Author Topic: Important: Upgrading Saves Between Versions  (Read 136693 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Important: Upgrading Saves Between Versions
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2021, 08:45:23 pm »
L10 adds customized versions of Secret Bases for every faction. This feature will only work normally when starting a new game.
Don't despair, however: you can effectively enable it in existing campaign by deleting "alien strategy" section from your save. This will not affect already existing bases.

Offline Barleyman

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2021, 11:47:53 pm »
Don't despair, however: you can effectively enable it in existing campaign by deleting "alien strategy" section from your save. This will not affect already existing bases.

Nooby question .. This means everything including the "alienStrategy:" line all the way up to the line before "deadSoldiers:"?

Offline hitthat

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2021, 11:05:14 am »
Nooby question .. This means everything including the "alienStrategy:" line all the way up to the line before "deadSoldiers:"?

For L10, actually what has to be deleted is all stuff right below the alienStrategy: string, that is to say all its content (what is below the line)  till the missionLocations: one  8)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2021, 11:48:32 am »
The alienStrategy section doesn't necessarily have to be in one particular place inside the save. Just delete the entire alienStrategy section, including the header.

Offline Barleyman

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2021, 04:39:12 pm »
For L10, actually what has to be deleted is all stuff right below the alienStrategy: string, that is to say all its content (what is below the line)  till the missionLocations: one  8)

The alienStrategy section doesn't necessarily have to be in one particular place inside the save. Just delete the entire alienStrategy section, including the header.

Hmh. It's not clear what is the alienStrategy section as there are no closing tags. I went with the assumption that everything after alienStrategy which is indented is subsidiary to alienStrategy and thus should be deleted. alienStrategy has no indent and per usual programming practices anything after that which is indented belongs to it. deadSoldiers was the next tag without indent so I left that alone.

So let's see.. Regions, possibleMissions, missionLocations and missions Run, all those were zapped.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2021, 04:56:34 pm »
Tags have levels, denoted by indentation. A tag ends when another of the same level begins.
Alienstrategy: is a first level tag, as it has no spaces before it. Simply delete from start of it's line, till the start of the next line with no starting space or tab.
In the case of the savefile I looked into, that would indeed be until the start of deadsoldiers:

The tags you listed are all the second level subtags of alienstrategy: in my savefile, so you probably did it correctly.

Offline Milthfphche

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2021, 02:47:40 am »
I jump in and out of the game every few months. My most recent update was L6 (Bag of Tricks), do I really have no choice but to start a new game if I want to slingshot myself past M1? I'm a few years in, in-game and irl, so if it's just that a few new things might not be in my file I am willing to make that sacrifice to keep my progress.
Also great and holy Dioxine I want you to know that I love what you do here

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2021, 02:16:20 pm »
Probably nothing will break, it will be just a mess and weird experience.

Offline Milthfphche

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2021, 01:10:18 am »
Considering that the mess and the weird experience are part of what keeps me coming back every few months, I guess I shouldn't worry then lol. I've updated probably 3 or 4 times total since I started in 2017 so it's always messy, and I've learned to... Prepare. I think I'm gonna wait at least one more in-game month

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2021, 12:05:13 pm »
I still recommend doing the steps above, like deleting the alienStrategy section.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2023, 01:25:35 pm »
Updating to N4: be sure to get rid of all Looted Cyberdiscs before updating. You can edit in cyberdisc wrecks in their place.

Offline Ruberto

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2023, 11:25:30 am »
Updating available missions:
Would it work if i create new game on the same difficulty, then replace alienstrategy section in the old save with one  copied from the new one?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2023, 02:07:27 pm »
Alien strategy won't have any impact on available missions afaik; any missions which it commands are very old. However, other (most) available missions update on each new month.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2023, 04:10:10 pm »
Before updating to N5, sell all unnamed dogs and bloodhounds.

Offline frenchfries

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2023, 02:20:51 am »
Hello, sorry for being an annoying newbie but ain't quite clear on how i should be updating my save for this new version, the alien strategy section of my save file is quite big and am wary of deleting/overwriting/adding things in the wrong fashion.

For reference I am updating from N.5.2.1 to N6.07.

What exactly do i do? I see another dude mentioning problems with the red codex, which is path i also went so bracing myself for some mishap on that front.