aliens

Author Topic: Important: Upgrading Saves Between Versions  (Read 136773 times)

Offline 2much

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Important: Upgrading Saves Between Versions
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2018, 01:45:07 am »
Thanks Rinbce! Do you remember what line of research led to !Monster Hunt? I found these lines in my save:

missions: ~
    - region: REGION_MONSTER_HUNT_BLOOD_DOG
    - region: REGION_MONSTER_HUNT_CHUPACABRA
    - region: REGION_MONSTER_HUNT_GIANTSPIDER
    - region: REGION_MONSTER_HUNT_MEGASCORPION
    - region: REGION_MONSTER_HUNT_SHAMBLER

And save attached. Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 08:40:26 am by 2much »

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2018, 10:17:29 pm »
Just use the techtree viewer with middle click on a tech. Then search.

Offline Mrekalis

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2018, 06:14:10 pm »
Hello, I downloaded version 99j1, played for a bit, then took a break because I figured like most mods that development was going to proceed at a snail's pace. What I didn't count on was Dioxine's excellent turnover time, and now I'm multiple updates behind. I figure getting into the minutae of each update at this point would just be a giant headache for everyone involved so, to simplify, would it be a better idea to track down all of the legacy versions and Upgrade->Open Save->Save Game->Upgrade->Etc or should I be reasonably fine just jumping to the latest version?

For the record, all I'm concerned with is bugs that will either crash the game or bug the research tree and otherwise make the game impossible to complete. A few items transforming or going missing is always something I can recover from. My tech tree progress is 18%, if that matters.

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
  • Lisbeth ;p My Engrish is easy bad, Csaba is dead!
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2018, 07:52:47 pm »
Hello, I downloaded version 99j1, played for a bit, then took a break because I figured like most mods that development was going to proceed at a snail's pace. What I didn't count on was Dioxine's excellent turnover time, and now I'm multiple updates behind. I figure getting into the minutae of each update at this point would just be a giant headache for everyone involved so, to simplify, would it be a better idea to track down all of the legacy versions and Upgrade->Open Save->Save Game->Upgrade->Etc or should I be reasonably fine just jumping to the latest version?

For the record, all I'm concerned with is bugs that will either crash the game or bug the research tree and otherwise make the game impossible to complete. A few items transforming or going missing is always something I can recover from. My tech tree progress is 18%, if that matters.

18 % techTree progres ?
anyway, you can always start from new beginning,

begin, start with a new game, why dont

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2018, 09:23:47 pm »

You should be fine, just save at the very end of the month before upgrading. Finding out what has changed... lol. Study the changelogs in the opening post or readme, but they don't detail all the hundreds of minute changes.

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2018, 12:01:08 pm »
My tech tree progress is 18%, if that matters.
The wise option is to start from the beginning. That's going to be a completely different game with all the changes given

Offline Mrekalis

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2018, 05:08:21 pm »
The wise option is to start from the beginning. That's going to be a completely different game with all the changes given

Would you consider it as radical as the change between the very old version of Piratez where you started with the Bonaventura right off and the current edition? Otherwise, like a lot of overly sentimental XCOM players I've gotten attached to the few veterans that have managed to survive. Additionally, the game feels like it just opened up for me.

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2018, 02:24:04 am »
I've gotten attached to the few veterans that have managed to survive.
Sure! I think that the game's brilliant is the early game (0-30% progress, and especially the first year). It is a lot more about tactics and equipment, sudden events and opportunities. Also, my opinion that it is a mistake getting attached to the soldiers. You are the manager, that's your project. Boost it. Also, try Iron Man, that's makes it completely immersive. But it takes a lot more micromanagement.

Offline ivansanchez

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2018, 09:43:48 pm »
For those wanting to upgrade to 0.99J9:

Be aware that the flak turrets don't have built-in crew quarters anymore. If you're depending on that to host people in your base, consider building an extra normal barracks before upgrading. Failure to do so might prevent you from transferring crew or ships between bases until more barracks are built.

Offline thevideogameraptorboggle

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2019, 01:22:45 am »
Will anything break upgrading from J10 to J11?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2019, 10:43:33 am »
Will anything break upgrading from J10 to J11?

No, otherwise there would be a post here.

Offline Jimboman

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2019, 06:09:01 pm »
No, otherwise there would be a post here.

Nothing broke with Piratez, but the 'experimental' openxcom exe bundled with J11 didn't work on my win7 32bit, so I replaced it with the lastest exe from xcomfiles and it works ok.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2019, 06:42:39 pm »
Nothing broke with Piratez, but the 'experimental' openxcom exe bundled with J11 didn't work on my win7 32bit, so I replaced it with the lastest exe from xcomfiles and it works ok.

As mentioned elsewhere: XCF is using the experimental exe as well, from 16.01.2019.
Maybe it's a 32bit issue only?

Offline Kharim

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2019, 08:57:05 pm »
After upgrading to new version:
-I can't purchase Chinese Dragon anymore (although I have chosen red codex)
-I can't hire Hands (I know it is supposed to be mutually exclusive with slave soldiers now but it seems to default to slaves once you have it researched)

Offline Jimboman

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2019, 09:20:42 pm »
As mentioned elsewhere: XCF is using the experimental exe as well, from 16.01.2019.
Maybe it's a 32bit issue only?

It must be.  I DL'd the latest 32bit openxcom exe (2019-01-23) from the openxcomex thread and it's working fine.  The one bundled with J11 must be a 64bit exe.