aliens

Author Topic: Bug report: Crash to desktop when loading vanilla TFTD save  (Read 7283 times)

Offline harre

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Bug report: Crash to desktop when loading vanilla TFTD save
« on: November 24, 2015, 03:34:46 am »
Hello,

I was testing your Terror from the deep support and it works nice.

However I was hoping to be able to continue my old struggle from a few years back now in OpenXcom.

I'm running this version of OpenXcom
https://openxcom.org/git_builds/openxcom_git_master_2015_11_22_2238.zip

and when I try to load any of my old saves I just get crashed to desktop.

No error message or anything.

I have some battlescape saves but they seem to be not supported, but that's okay.

Test for example GAME_1 in the attached zip.

Keep up the good work guys!

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Bug report: Crash to desktop when loading vanilla TFTD save
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 07:20:32 am »
Yes there definitely error. I'll try to see on it today.

Offline harre

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 09:49:49 am »
Yes there definitely error. I'll try to see on it today.

Thanks, is there any error logging that can be enabled? I'm case i stumble upon any other bug it is easier to Google it if I have a specific error message.

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 05:50:50 pm »
Well, I checked saves, and I got question: it is unusual XCOM? One of your Skyranger have weapon slots. Is there XcomUtils used before?

OpenXcom has debug string in options.cfg, but in your case this is useless - game didn't expect fatal errors in your saves, so there no verbose information. It cannot handle corrupted/malformed data from legacy saves, so it fails with generic throwing exeption.

Offline harre

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 02:25:15 am »
Well, I checked saves, and I got question: it is unusual XCOM? One of your Skyranger have weapon slots. Is there XcomUtils used before?

OpenXcom has debug string in options.cfg, but in your case this is useless - game didn't expect fatal errors in your saves, so there no verbose information. It cannot handle corrupted/malformed data from legacy saves, so it fails with generic throwing exeption.

Thanks for looking into it. I have used xcomutil, but only activated the bugfixes and soldier sorting. It's a tftd-save, as there is no skyranger. But perhaps the game treats the barracuda as skyranger?

Here is a link to my tftd folder with xcomutil config.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3mBIMkQuHa9TkZ0Smo4LVV4amc

As you can see it's the steam version.

Please let me know if you find anything or need more info.

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 04:18:19 am »
Well, TFTD legacy saves are not supported yet, sorry (heh, I skipped that part of your post and thought that is XCOM1 save :)).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 04:20:00 am by winterheart »

Offline harre

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 12:25:00 pm »
Aha, that explains it. I hoped it to work as it displayed my saves with it name and dates correctly. I know it's a bit rude to ask for any ETAs on free software, but do you have any idea when it's ready?

Also, what's left now on TFTD support? I'm more than happy to help out and bugtest.

I'm a programmer too and can probably help out if you have any small isolated issues. I'm mostly working with C# nowdays and it been a couple years since i touched C++ but then again, if-statements and junk are all the same

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 09:32:19 am »
Legacy saves support done by SupSuper, so better to ask him. As I can see, TFTD support is fairly easy task since UFO share same (usually) data structures. Difference is low-level format of saves.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:20:51 am by SupSuper »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 05:27:13 am »
TFTD legacy saves should be working now.

Offline harre

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 12:17:27 am »
TFTD legacy saves should be working now.

Yep, it's indeed working now. Awesome work! It will be fun to continue my old game ;)

Can I excpect anything that is not yet implemented, or are there just bugs left to fix for TFTD?

I was looking for any roadmap or any docs for the progress but I was unable to find any.

When I get the time I'm going to setup a build and try to compile OpenXcom myself.

Do you have any bugtracker or anything in case I get it up and running and want to find anything to work on?

Offline harre

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 01:35:09 am »
I have updated to the latest OpenXCOM now and tried to load my old save. It seems though that some things was converted incorrectly.

All my aquanauts had plastic aqua armor in vanilla TFTH but it seems that after conversion most got no armour at all, and one got ion armour that I didn't even have researched.

All bases had some research about living aliens, even when lacking both alien containment and researchers

Also some bases had some manufacture orders that didn't exist in vanilla TFTD.

Just poke me if you need more information.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 07:01:33 pm »
Yep, it's indeed working now. Awesome work! It will be fun to continue my old game ;)

Can I excpect anything that is not yet implemented, or are there just bugs left to fix for TFTD?
It's mostly just fixing bugs and polish at this point.

I was looking for any roadmap or any docs for the progress but I was unable to find any.

When I get the time I'm going to setup a build and try to compile OpenXcom myself.

Do you have any bugtracker or anything in case I get it up and running and want to find anything to work on?
We're not very good at documenting. :P But we have this bug tracker if you want: https://openxcom.org/bugs/openxcom/issues/open

I have updated to the latest OpenXCOM now and tried to load my old save. It seems though that some things was converted incorrectly.

All my aquanauts had plastic aqua armor in vanilla TFTH but it seems that after conversion most got no armour at all, and one got ion armour that I didn't even have researched.

All bases had some research about living aliens, even when lacking both alien containment and researchers

Also some bases had some manufacture orders that didn't exist in vanilla TFTD.

Just poke me if you need more information.
Thanks, I fixed all the bugs now, let me know how it works.

Offline harre

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 12:47:12 am »
cool, it seems to work now. Good work man!