aliens

Author Topic: Manufacturing for profit..?  (Read 7649 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Manufacturing for profit..?
« on: November 10, 2015, 04:23:40 am »
Hi guys! I'm looking for some advice and was thinking of maybe getting some info down for the wiki as well.. I have a base with no still, but some runts there mainly to keep it supplied with ammo and new weapons/armors. But when there's nothing needed, I want them to make some extra money on the side. What do you use then?

So far the gals have had an interest in launching a swimsuit line. It has no required material so that keeps logistics easy, and it does make a profit. I've also been looking at craft weapons (but I can't make many..) as they seem to be quite worth it. Anything else I'm missing?

I'm thinking, maybe we come up with a "Top 5 for X facility", something like:

No special facility:
1 - Swimsuit
2 - Gym suit
3 - Stun bombs (requires chemicals)
4 - Stick bomb (requires chemicals)

Still:
1 - Chateau de la Mort
2 - Rhum
3 - X-Grog
4 - ?
5 - ?

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
Re: Manufacturing for profit..?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 04:36:41 am »
Attached is my Profitability spreadsheet but it needs to be updated to 0.93C.

It doesn't list for special facilities as there's really only Industrial Printer/Still/Surgery Room/Mint and the items that require Industrial Printer/Surgery Room aren't profitable (especially trying to track them as they generally require other crafted items in order to craft).

It should list everything else though but the Lookup chart will need to be updated as well to reflect accurate costs/profits.

If you have any questions, lemme know!

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 04:52:19 pm »
Holy cats dude! And I thought my spreadsheets were overkill!

So.. am I reading this right that heavy flamer tanks are the overall best ever thing to manufacture for profit? That seems weird.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 07:07:50 pm »
Not anymore, this has been changed in 0.95b or c.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 07:25:53 pm »
Ah! well well.. Maybe I'll need to dedicate a brainer to market analysis! Or I'll just do the work myself in a google spreadsheet, then we can keep it up to date and know how to make some money!

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 09:11:28 pm »
Holy cats dude! And I thought my spreadsheets were overkill!

So.. am I reading this right that heavy flamer tanks are the overall best ever thing to manufacture for profit? That seems weird.

Yeah, they used to be until I bug reported it. :P Sorry everyone! But like I said, it needs to be updated to current version 0.95C.

Ah! well well.. Maybe I'll need to dedicate a brainer to market analysis! Or I'll just do the work myself in a google spreadsheet, then we can keep it up to date and know how to make some money!

Well, there's two ways you can update it: play the game like normally and just cross-reference the values (and update as necessary, spreadsheet does the math for you) or you can just do some ruleset delving to update it faster.

Afterwards, yeah, just a simply copy & paste to a GoogleDoc if you want it online!

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 09:14:25 pm »
I do all my spreadsheet work on google docs, it's easier to share that way. I'll build one probably tonight with the stuff I have, but I can't build one from the ruleset as I want to avoid spoilers!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Do mints make sense?
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 06:52:49 pm »
I've been trying to do some number crunching.    Has anyone done the analysis on Counterfeiting?   My rough first blush shows it not as profitable as grog even.  Are there compounding profits that I'm missing?

I guess I'm kinda also asking if anyone has done a more comprehensive sheet in google docs, than the aged excel sheet that draco posted earlier in the thread (.93C).

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 07:16:42 pm »
I don't know, if I'm counting correctly, you get $150 profit per man-hour on counterfeiting, which is an order of magintude more than you make on Grog...

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 07:31:29 pm »
Yeah, I'm getting a range of $13, 20, & 54 / hour on the various counterfeit items, before calculating facility costs or engineer salaries.  I must be doing something wrong. XD

I'm taking most of my data from Here:  (I haven't verified these values in depth from the rulesets)
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Manufacturing_(Piratez)#Merchandise

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 08:21:04 pm »
For the lowest ring of the ladder, I came up with:
- total sales: 20k (100x$200 chip)
cost:
- cash: $4k
- salaries+maintenance (circa $10 per hour, 280 hrs): 2.8 k
- resources: 1x$1000 chip: 1k
- total cost: 7.8k

- net profit: 20k - 7.8k = 12.2k
- profit per manhour: 12.2 k / 280 = circa $43

Actual profit will be considerably bigger, as you get fractional profits from manufacturing $1000 and $2000 chips as well, if you start with a $5000 silver as a solid, metal capital base for your market manipulation.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:23:42 pm by Dioxine »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 08:36:34 pm »
Ok, that makes a bit more sense.  Red is the end product that should be sold.  $43 per hour is closer to what I was expecting ( I didn't do the salaries/maintenance math). 

I guess then that the $150/hr figure comes then from working Silver>Purple>Blue>Red.

As far as maintenance goes:  are you calculating mint only? or mint & workshop? Then monthly maintenance / (#hours/mo)? (I know there are a ton of variables here, I'm just trying to wrap my brain around a baseline).