Author Topic: Download failed: resolving hostname <almost solved>  (Read 6532 times)

Offline SenniTrebor

• Captain
    • View Profile
Download failed: resolving hostname <almost solved>
« on: November 01, 2015, 09:03:25 pm »
Tried installing using the windows installer, but the install stopped with this message: Download failed: resolving hostname
What does this mean? An openxcom folder has been created, but I am unsure as how to proceed!
I am on a Asus x53e, running Windows 7.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Edit: Tried running the game and it failed with the following message
OpenXcom.exe  - Bad Image
C:\Program Files\OpenXcon\SDL_image.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error ...

Action taken:
downloaded 64bit archive
unzipped to desktop folder
copied everything into the OpenXcom directory merging and overwriting everything.
Run the game and now it works. (At least it starts up the initial graphics) Had to run as administrator though.
Now I will try the OpenXcom Universal patch and installing the nightly.

Unzipped universal patch to Data folder, overwriting and merging everything >starts ok.  (as administrator)
downloaded openxcom_git_master_2015_11_01_1648.zip
unzipped to folder
contains a .md file I cannot read, plus a tftd folder I do not need, but have. (Bit unsure as how to proceed here)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 10:59:18 pm by SenniTrebor »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Download failed: resolving hostname <almost solved>
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 03:29:44 pm »
Tried installing using the windows installer, but the install stopped with this message: Download failed: resolving hostname
What does this mean? An openxcom folder has been created, but I am unsure as how to proceed!
I am on a Asus x53e, running Windows 7.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Edit: Tried running the game and it failed with the following message
OpenXcom.exe  - Bad Image
C:\Program Files\OpenXcon\SDL_image.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error ...
What installation options did you check? This means one of the downloads failed, I'll check if all the extra downloads are still functional.

Action taken:
downloaded 64bit archive
unzipped to desktop folder
copied everything into the OpenXcom directory merging and overwriting everything.
Run the game and now it works. (At least it starts up the initial graphics) Had to run as administrator though.
Now I will try the OpenXcom Universal patch and installing the nightly.

Unzipped universal patch to Data folder, overwriting and merging everything >starts ok.  (as administrator)
downloaded openxcom_git_master_2015_11_01_1648.zip
unzipped to folder
contains a .md file I cannot read, plus a tftd folder I do not need, but have. (Bit unsure as how to proceed here)
You can open the README.md in any text editor.

You should install the latest nightly separately from 1.0 as the folder structure is different, but the process is the same (extract ZIP, copy original X-Com data to respective folders, patch data and run).