Author Topic: Any way to limit the amount of blaster launchers in a craft?  (Read 11422 times)

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to limit the amount of blaster launchers in a craft?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 10:30:07 pm »
You can justify it in a number of ways.

My point was that you can more easily control the availability and value of blaster bombs if you have to craft them.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 05:22:45 am »
Maybe the excuse could be that the alien blaster launcher requierd some spesial kind of psionic skills not availible to humans, for guiding the missile. And then our scientists could find a way around this problem, making our own version of the weapon.

Some aliens do not even have psionic skills to begin with.

I would actually welcome a lmitation of the waypoints to 9, as it was in the Dos Version. This to some degree limits the use of the Blaster Launchers.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 12:05:28 pm »
I would actually welcome a lmitation of the waypoints to 9, as it was in the Dos Version. This to some degree limits the use of the Blaster Launchers.

Yep, you could no longer print a line of 150 waypoints one next to another.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 03:39:40 pm »

Well at the moment you can in closed quarters like X-Com or Alien Bases let your Blaster dude sit at the spawnpoint,
and fire across the entire Map, since you are not limited in setting waypoints.

In the Dos Version you had to carefully plan when using Blaster Launchers, since you only had a limited number of waypoints, so you had
to keep your Blasterdudes in a central position behind your troops no matter what.
At the current moment you can just let them sit at the spawning point.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 04:45:47 pm »
And with just 9 waypoints, you needed to actually leave some space between waypoints, so there was an actual risk of hitting an obstacle when operating in tight quarters. Now the weapon's accuracy is irrelevant (ie. is dependant not on soldier's skill, but on tedium of setting dozens of waypoints).

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 05:42:23 am »
I'm all for adding a waypoint limit. It would be awesome if the number of waypoints could be defined in the ruleset. That way a blaster launcher limited to 9 waypoints can only be mostly game breaking instead of completely game breaking. :)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 07:40:33 am »
And with just 9 waypoints, you needed to actually leave some space between waypoints, so there was an actual risk of hitting an obstacle when operating in tight quarters. Now the weapon's accuracy is irrelevant (ie. is dependant not on soldier's skill, but on tedium of setting dozens of waypoints).

My thoughts excactly. (uhhh i am agreeing with Dioxine on something, thats a new one :D)

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 01:36:32 am »
Is it possible to limit the flight distance of the blaster bomb? Have it detonate a little bit beyond visual range, so the operator needs to be at the frontline. Aliens won't have a problem with that as they only fire at stuff they can see.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 01:41:55 am »
Right now in extended you can nerf damage if you fly too far.

Offline Firestorm

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2015, 04:59:01 am »

Do people actually do that?  I don't even release a NORMAL weapon unless I have at least a very strong suspicion that there's a target in the impact area, let along a high-value one like a blaster bomb.  If I have a weapon that capable of mass destruction, I want to make sure I use every gram of that "mass" I can, like for those BIG kills, either one or two very serious threats, or a dozen smaller ones....

Offline DeltaEpsilon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 08:44:12 pm »
Is it possible to limit the flight distance of the blaster bomb? Have it detonate a little bit beyond visual range, so the operator needs to be at the frontline. Aliens won't have a problem with that as they only fire at stuff they can see.
Seems incorrect. Aliens can fire at any of your soldiers if any alien sees at least one of them.