aliens

Author Topic: OS X 10.11 and CPU usage  (Read 12010 times)

Offline darklord42

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: OS X 10.11 and CPU usage
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 06:48:28 pm »
Wait, for clarification, you had the font issue in 10.10?!  When I used it then, it worked fine... I was certain it was a 10.11 issue.

Offline hansimmer

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 12:46:38 am »
I think they are both getting cooked, CPU and GPU. Please look at the screenshot I posted below (same as yesterday, Intel Power Gadget). The strange thing is, that the CPU frequency stays very low in fullscreen mode - even lower than in windowed mode, although the CPU consumes 3x the energy and heats up quickly. I have no idea how this is possible and why. At the same time, in fullscreen mode, the GPU frequency is as high as it can be (it is the green GT graph). The difference here between windowed and fullscreen mode does not seem a lot, but the GPU is clearly running at 100% in fullscreen mode all the time.

I also attached two screenshots of Macs Fan Control - one before and one after a few seconds of fullscreen mode (main menu, just looking at the buttons again and not doing anything). The CPU increase is about 40 C° and the GPU is 37 C°. Even the SSD gets a little hotter, but that might be due to the whole system heating up. 

Offline darklord42

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 06:37:12 am »
Wow, tosty... That ain't right, something has to be wrong there.  It is strange, if it were a Driver issue, you would think other games would be suffering the same thing?  I really don't know.

Offline darklord42

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2015, 04:34:08 pm »
On the RedEclipse thread, they are claiming it will be a long while for Apple to fix their bug and are hoping it is fixed in the latest SDL 2 release which OpenXcom doesn't use.  Thing is, I haven't noticed any font issues in any other SDL1 apps so it may be unrelated.

Offline hansimmer

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2015, 05:43:52 pm »
Ok. I actually don't care so much for the font, because the game is still playable. However, the heating problem concerns me. I don't want to kill my laptop. My iMac already died a few months back soon after the system reported a broken gpu diode sensor. I will not play OpenXcom in fullscreen until I know what is going on. There must be other Mac users here. Did anyone else notice heating problems?

Offline darklord42

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2016, 06:36:00 pm »
These really are bad bugs that can't be ignored.  They basically make the project unusable for modern OSX.  Please, please look into it. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:38:29 pm by darklord42 »