Author Topic: Ok, I'm getting mind--busted- by Ethereals!  (Read 5887 times)

Offline RedSarge

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Ok, I'm getting mind--busted- by Ethereals!
« on: September 20, 2015, 03:44:11 am »
So, I'm playing my first play through of UFO:Defense, currently in the month of August.

I have two Skyranger capable bases with teams, Power suits, Blaster Launchers, Mind Probes and Firestorms... but I wonder if the game is supposed to throw so many damn Ethereals at me!

I have recently shot down 2 large UFO's and one small one in central Africa. I have base in Southern Africa and Iraq/Syria. [it was a good spot]
I'm getting a bit angry that the game is lasting so long and I want them to attack a base.

I seem to only be running into large UFO's with TONS of Ethereals on board, that immediately proceed to mind r*pe my troops as soon as I get into LOS.
Leading me to rely on Heavy Weapon Platforms, solely.

This one crash site had 23! Ethereals.... it was really impossible. Playing on veteran difficulty, and like a challenge and did very well in Xcom 2012 [I didn't lose Firaxis!]
"That's X-Com baby!" So I am expecting a challenge.

The next mission after this one was crashed Terror ship with Ethereals and Sectopods, so the game is mixing it up a bit.

TLDR: I'm just wondering if the game is stuck spamming Ethereals?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 03:49:15 am by RedSarge »

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, I'm getting mind--busted- by Ethereals!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 09:19:23 pm »
If you run into cruisers and supply ships then of course you will find tons of aliens in higher difficulty.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 09:40:36 pm »
That's a supply ship, so presumably you have an ethereal base somewhere (or they are establishing one). Plus it seems like you got an ethereal terror mission going on too. Lucky you! ;)

The good news is that the Terror mission will eventually finish. The bad news is that the base won't go away by itself (but you don't really have to blow it up to win the game) and will keep scoring points for the aliens and getting resupplied. I would probably ignore the base until I have a LOT of blaster launchers and bombs, then send a HWP scouting and blast the crap out of everything it sees, if you want to get rid of the base. Of course, make sure you develop your own psi-program, and screen your soldiers properly, that way they are much MUCH less likely to get mind controlled.

Lastly, you may want to not shoot down too many ethereal ships, because that might spawn ethereal retaliation missions. And if you don't like facing ethereals and sectopods in terror ships, imagine in your base... ;)

Keep up the good fight! Humanity depends on you!

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 11:22:49 am »
I love Ethereals. Let me at them.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 01:48:09 pm »
Well, as said above: When you get spamed with Ethereal supply ships, it's probably a corresponding base nearby. My advice: Look where they land. Don't immediately land at that spot but patrol just next to it (zoom in max and point next to the landing spot). You will find the base at the exact same spot as the supply ship has landed a few minutes later. Then go ahead. You will find Ethereal bases quite challenging but it you want your points ration being not lowered by constant missions from that base, you might consider going in with a lot of HWPs. But in principle, Ethereal missions have one major advantage: You can take one alive! That will give you the psi tech tree. Psi will significantly boost your ability to cope with psi attacking races but the others as well. Some say, that's what breaks the game, as it will be too easy with vanilla psi mechanics, once you have soldiers strong enough. But without you will have to much casualties on the long run. I tend to immediately sack soldiers with psi strength lower than 60. That means, you'd have to hire by a factor of 2.5 more soldiers, as 59% of just hired soldiers will be sacked the moment you see their psi strength. But it's worth it. Also a psi strong soldier won't be attacked any more with psi, once he has sufficiently psi strength. No more panicking, no more friendly fire by alien controlled soldiers.

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 04:08:47 pm »
Im pretty sure its more safer to just go in a sectoid base and get a commander or leader to research psi.But then again with ethereal bases you can just take one alive and leave.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 04:13:51 pm »
But then again with ethereal bases you can just take one alive and leave.
Exactly. That's why I like having a Ethereal mission with small scout. =)