aliens

Author Topic: [COMPLETED] Let's play X-PirateZ (182 episodes)  (Read 146578 times)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play X-PirateZ [#13] Cyberdiscs
« Reply #225 on: December 02, 2015, 07:44:02 pm »
and if anyone wonders, they're NOT toughened at all compared to vanilla

Comparing Rocket Launchers with Spears and Bows? I can't even use my precious Hammer on these bastards, 'cos they go boom...

EDIT: btw. if I stun civilians on Pogroms, do they count as saved or killed?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:46:11 pm by Meridian »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Let's play X-PirateZ [#13] Cyberdiscs
« Reply #226 on: December 02, 2015, 07:56:30 pm »
I don't know about the civilians, I think once Warboy threatened that they will count as killed (by YOU), but I don't think the hammer blows Cyberdiscs up, since it's basically HE damage (afaik it is safe to attack a Cyberdisc with stun, fire and HE damage). Back to the civilians, I've noticed that they can be finally healed now (not sure if thanks to Warboy or Yankes), so you can always revive stunned ones. And patch up the bleeding ones, some of these mutant civilians don't go down that easily.

Also you've used a vanilla weapon (HE pack) against that cyberdisc, which should've taken it out - I'm just saying I had nothing to do with the failure of the HE pack :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:58:13 pm by Dioxine »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play X-PirateZ [#14] More Cyberdiscs
« Reply #227 on: December 03, 2015, 10:16:38 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p945MVO_2VY

Don't speak too early Boltgun, there are still 3 of these infernal machines left... (and if anyone wonders, they're NOT toughened at all compared to vanilla) and also tons of well-armored Drones and other enemies, most of them packing lasers that easily go through the armor our gals have. But this might not be a problem for Meridian as he doesn't rely on armor - which, in this Pogrom, is a good thing (just like it was a bad thing in the previous one) :).

Ehm, I counted at least 5 more...  :-\

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #228 on: December 03, 2015, 11:30:45 am »
Whoops, wrong deployment. Then there should be
Spoiler:
total.

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #229 on: December 03, 2015, 04:16:15 pm »
That was some unlucky shots. But hey, you still have means to bring them down.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 03, 2015, 04:32:49 pm »
That was some unlucky shots. But hey, you still have means to bring them down.

Yeah, but I will need to return to Bonny for more explosives and also switch to better rifles (sniper/boarding gun) as Ivan said. Not sure if the Combat Stress won't cripple me in the meantime.

Also, turn 20 is near.
I am seriously considering aborting... not sure if the booty I can get here is worth it.

Anyway, this is as far as I got last week... continuation on Saturday... let me know if I should continue or better abort... I can't decide.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 03, 2015, 07:13:08 pm »
Not bad, not bad!

For a pogrom against a much more difficult faction, you seem to be doing pretty well. But the cyberdiscs are going to be a problem since you're getting lower on explosives than they are getting in numbers :/ Flamethrowers, if you can get them in range (yes, that's a big if for the short range), can work really well against cyberdiscs due to ignoring armor and them being a big target (so taking up to 4x damage).

You actually get ok loot potential (lots of laser weapons) from this pogrom, but it is not really needed in the short term. There will be other pogroms.. ;)

Keeping the gals alive should be a priority. Once all the mutants are dead (and they must be getting close to all dead), it only makes sense to fight if you can gain more than you lose, which I don't really think is the case unless you play very carefully (and slowly, which isn't the best for a LP). For the long term, it would be much worst to come back with a only handful of gals after winning than with most gals (and their armors, armors are destroyed on death) after barely losing.

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #232 on: December 03, 2015, 07:14:10 pm »
There is nothing wrong in aborting a mission. Looting the dead on the way back is also a way to get some booty.

niculinux

« Reply #233 on: December 03, 2015, 08:21:12 pm »
There is nothing wrong in aborting a mission. Looting the dead on the way back is also a way to get some booty.

I did it sometimes, and it's a mission in the mission!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #234 on: December 04, 2015, 01:30:49 am »
I have replied in length on YT, here I can add some very obvious I think advice to what the others said:
- Molotovs cause Cyberdisc to burn, damaging them slowly but surely, and are relatively safe to use.
- Laser weapons can be picked up from fallen enemies. They out-tech anything you have by 2-3 classes. Even pistols are sometimes better than almost all your guns.
- Smoke grenades can be used to help with the Flamethrower approach.
- Hammer works, but you have to get the enemy isolated and out of Reactions, so this is a very risky venture. You'd also need several hits.
And less obvious (but you know vanilla Cyberdiscs):
Spoiler:
- This particular faction has generally higher resistances to AP and HE than Laser or Acid.

EDIT:
And last but not least... You're NOT a champion. You start as a challenger. Becoming a champion is the goal, not your birthright. But don't take me too harshly. I know you're a warrior and you won't back out of a good challenge! I'm trying it to be hard but fair.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 01:49:18 am by Dioxine »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play X-PirateZ [#15] Tactical Retreat
« Reply #235 on: December 04, 2015, 09:36:02 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Az7wOf7NU

I have replied in length on YT...

Thanks, much appreciated!

EDIT: And last but not least... You're NOT a champion. You start as a challenger. Becoming a champion is the goal, not your birthright. But don't take me too harshly. I know you're a warrior and you won't back out of a good challenge! I'm trying it to be hard but fair.

I fell in love with this mod already, no worries. I enjoy a good challenge, this time however I decided it was a bit too much for the gals (something tells me I need to keep them alive... it's not xcom, where you can defeat cydonia with ten (psi strong) rookies in jump suits with rocket launchers). We retreated tactically (already last weekend, just didn't want to spoil) and will definitely return for them Cyberdiscs later ... sweet revenge!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:37:51 am by Meridian »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #236 on: December 04, 2015, 07:01:50 pm »
A-ha! Thanks for the praise! My only regret is that you've replaced the big font, as it was making everything less vanilla, but I can understand you hate any kind of distractions :)

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #237 on: December 06, 2015, 01:49:23 am »
Probably not the place to link this but watching Meridian try to fire a mortar round was a hilarious.

I don't even know what happened there but I enjoyed it.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 06, 2015, 10:16:51 am »
Never let an officer do a soldier's job I guess ;-) They'll screw up.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play X-PirateZ [#16] Brain Power
« Reply #239 on: December 07, 2015, 01:30:57 pm »
Let's get the research started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_baHDKHSBg