aliens

Author Topic: [COMPLETED] Let's play X-PirateZ (182 episodes)  (Read 143973 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: Let's play X-PirateZ [#09] Bow Master
« Reply #180 on: November 26, 2015, 01:27:14 am »
This is probably not proper but I'd suggest checking out my videos on YouTube if you can't catch my live stream, <snip>

Can you post your channel in : https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/board,15.0.html  the playthroughs board? :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #181 on: November 26, 2015, 01:29:10 am »
like you said, it's dumb that it consumes the user's morale with minimal range

Sorry, I'm too dumb to change that :P

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 26, 2015, 01:30:07 am »
Yeah, I really have nothing to add, Arthanor may know more about the practical side of Piratez than myself :) Well, one thing: the battle flag doesn't restore Morale expended on use, that'd be rather exploitable. The wielder will probably panic, unless very high Bravery (like 90 or 100?) allows her to get above 50 Morale within one turn, thus avoiding Bravery check. But anyone who retreated to the Flag should be refilled. The radius is for now bugged at flat 2 tiles, but it will be repaired in the next version.
Well, that's high praise! Thank you :D

I thought it could restore some morale, with the idea that you lose some for waving it, but gain some for being in the area, so you remain about the same, whereas other gals gain morale. If it panics the user, then I'd have to agree with Draco. I haven't tried the flag myself (wasn't in my starting inventory, don't think I can make another one!? didn't care to cheat one into my save) as I make enough kill/turns to not worry.

I agree with most of what Draco said. I also don't use the rope, it seems a lot more useful to just stand by a target with a cattle prod (don't restun with fistycuffs, you're likely to kill the target. Happened to me too many times :'(). There are a few enemies that you can't stun with a cattleprod though, so for those it might be worth it? Hopefully we get an equivalent to the tranquilizer mod for Piratez that takes care of baby sitting prisoners. It is not a very interesting part of gameplay to me.

I wouldn't build Stills on new outposts, that's a big investment and to me building more outposts is more valuable than 10 runts making alcool. If I build a still, it is on a base with at least 1 workshop where it can produce a decent amount.

I also think the HK is worth it even early on. It's not super expensive and it's faster than a pigeon, but it does use nuclear fuel so it's not for patrolling as much as for following. I also use mine to quickly check what a newly found shipping is, before getting a decoder (some shippings are not worth following because they don't land/you can't take them on in the air or on land). It gets to shippings faster than the Bonny and using less fuel. And pigeons have pretty much no hopes of catching up, they're for patrols only.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #183 on: November 26, 2015, 01:45:07 am »
I thought it could restore some morale, with the idea that you lose some for waving it, but gain some for being in the area, so you remain about the same, whereas other gals gain morale. If it panics the user, then I'd have to agree with Draco. I haven't tried the flag myself (wasn't in my starting inventory, don't think I can make another one!? didn't care to cheat one into my save) as I make enough kill/turns to not worry.

The idea is that only high-Bravery (80 is almost 100% safe, as I calculated) gals are good for waving the flag as intended, the rest can be train-abused by it if you really want, but will be ill-fitted to any proper use of the flag, as not only they will produce little effect, they will panic (too cowardly to be worthy of using this sacred artifact!). Also, using the flag needs to cost something, something valuable (Nothing Is For Free, remember it), and Energy & Stun are too easy to refill with beer. You cannot however refill Morale that easily.

Yes you will be able to build more, & there is an improved (hard to get) version.

As for usefulness, it can be really useful for large, long sieges. Seeing how Meridian plays, he won't ever need that thing :) But some players will like it a lot, I think.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 26, 2015, 02:06:11 am »
I guess it makes sense for a brave gal to be really inspiring, and a cowardly one to fail at inspiring others (and then panic because it's all going to hell!). Fair enough!

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #185 on: November 26, 2015, 02:27:26 am »
Well, that's high praise! Thank you :D

I wouldn't build Stills on new outposts, that's a big investment and to me building more outposts is more valuable than 10 runts making alcool. If I build a still, it is on a base with at least 1 workshop where it can produce a decent amount.

I also think the HK is worth it even early on. It's not super expensive and it's faster than a pigeon, but it does use nuclear fuel so it's not for patrolling as much as for following. I also use mine to quickly check what a newly found shipping is, before getting a decoder (some shippings are not worth following because they don't land/you can't take them on in the air or on land). It gets to shippings faster than the Bonny and using less fuel. And pigeons have pretty much no hopes of catching up, they're for patrols only.

Flag has a somewhat very odd material to make. And the upgrade will probably be 99% never seen due to the research requirements.

Stills are great as 10 runts earns 32k a month on X-Grog, then you just slowly expand into Large Barracks / Workshop. 40 Runts jumps profitability to 294k a month. However, there is nothing wrong with having an early mobile radar hideout (Zeppelin Hideout) instead, like you are suggesting.

Bonnie should be used to identify vessels early game (so as to already be able to intercept if they land rather than trying to find them/taking off right before Bonaventura arrives), and Hunter-Killer's speed and toughness is rather low. However, the next interceptor (Predator) has a good amount of toughness, dodge, and speed that it can be used throughout the entire game. And if you are unlucky as I have been, ship engines were extremely rare for awhile. And I would never suggest Pigeon to intercept or chase... it is merely meant to be set on a country/continent that has shipping activity and detect shippings (like a base). Decoders can be tricky as well, depending on if you get the right faction and capture.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 26, 2015, 04:31:51 am »
My HK has served me well, and outfitted with long range stuff, should be able to add a bit of power to interception later as well. In general though, I feel like interception are less needed in Piratez, since many things land. What you need is to be able to find and follow shippings until they land. Often, what doesn't land are nasty ships with nasty crew, but occasionally they are really valuable ships. Oh well.. depends on the situation/money/playstyle ;)

If you intend to eventually build up a base into a money making booze factory, then building a still there early makes sense, yes. But generally, the costs are:

Initial costs:
- Building the still: 900k
- Building the outpost: 150k
- 10 Runts: 50k
= 950k initial investment

Recurring costs/benefits:
- Still + outpost maintenance: 15k
- Runts salary: 25k
- 5,399 profit per grog barrel
- 30.5 days/month * 24 hours/day * 10 runts / 240 Runt-hours per barrels = 30 barrels/month
= 165k - 40k = 125k profit/month

That's 7.6 months for the 10 runts to repay the initial investment. Not trivial, and there are a lot of things to spend a million on early in Piratez. Building/expanding a booze factory is a great thing to do for leftover money (when you have enough for next month's Income - Maintenance and a safety cushion), as eventually it will just "make money out of nothing", but the initial investment is steep.

Even with a workshop + 1/4 large living quarter, you get:
Initial costs: 800k+375k=1,175k
Profit/month: 495k grog profit - 75k salary - 82.5k maintenance/salary = ~340k/month
~3.5 months to repay the investment.

Since you start with a Still and a workshop already built at your first base, I usually prefer to expand on that. The initial cost is barely higher (even if you build two barracks, as you probably would to get extra hands + runts early on), you repay it faster and make a lot more money from it later and benefit from increased manufacturing power in the main base for when you need new craft/weapons/armors instead of spreading that to another base. Finally, if a small outpost gets a retaliation, it's likely dead unless you (ab)use baby nukes, your main base you should be able to save.

Later, well.. later the world is your oyster :D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 04:09:49 pm by Arthanor »

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 26, 2015, 05:18:35 pm »
Really enjoying the lp atm, if and when you get down the list of players to me again can I have the same character resurrected, same name, same hairdo but I think if she has high strength and decent throwing I would like her to run around with a hammer and lots of explosives, a bottle of vodka is a must as well.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play X-PirateZ [#10] Tactical Vests
« Reply #189 on: November 27, 2015, 05:04:00 pm »
Nicely done again Capt'n!

One "trick", one hint and one response:

1 - When storming those UFOs, I found it very convenient to have a gal with a flamethrower cook all the enemies inside. Flames don't break stuff, so you don't have to worry about loot like you would with explosives, and the AI doesn't like standing in it, so some tend to come out, but in a more scattered way (since they need to walk in the fire to get out), which means it is a bit safer to approach. If they don't come out, apply more fire :D Eventually, because of the combination of smoke and burns and running around/out, the enemy will be weak enough you can storm what's left.

2 - Many guns are not worth selling for money. The runts aren't great at building precision parts to make fancy cool guns, but eventually they will be able to scavenge parts from multiple guns to build a fancier version. It's worth holding on to "random guns" (anything you can't buy on the black market) even if you don't think you will use them in battle. Also, sometimes the brainerz discover new things that old guns can shoot.

3 - You asked for advice on what to do next. My take on it is: Build an extra workshop and a living quarter to house runts and also more gals. We need many gals to ensure the Bonny is fully crewed with the kind of injury rate we have. And fully man the existing workshop if it's not done yet.

Piratez is a money game. You pay a lot for maintenance and you need to invest to build, which in turn increases your maintenance. Looting is great for getting initial investment money, but booze-making is central to making a sustainable enterprise. Some months can by too hot (only shipping you don't want to take on) or completely dry (shipping in regions you can't see), you need to be able to balance the budget any ways. If you build up your booze adventure enough, it can be a "runaway money train", since more production = more money = more investment = even more production = even more money and so on.

Of course, some of that more money should be invested elsewhere once the budget looks good: moar brainerz! And maybe a pigeon hideout to remote scouting, but both are longer term. Getting the money train started and Bonny crewed are more important.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 27, 2015, 05:11:28 pm »
The problem is, I will probably drink all that alcohol myself ;-) Maybe I can post a few gals guarding the booze day and night...

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 27, 2015, 05:25:08 pm »
haha! The best way to success is not the easiest ;) Maybe a big after-mission party could satisfy drinking needs and then the rest of the production goes for sales? Those grog barrels are pretty big!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #192 on: November 28, 2015, 02:47:03 am »
Well, since you said VIPs will be ressurected at some point in the future, I'll let you know what I want in advance. Dead should stay dead, so new name: Paradox Girl, looks 12 (redhead), preferably high Reactions, prefered weapons - shotgun-types & grenades, unless can't handle, pistol + stunner/machete then.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 28, 2015, 08:30:52 am »
Well, since you said VIPs will be ressurected at some point in the future, I'll let you know what I want in advance. Dead should stay dead, so new name: Paradox Girl, looks 12 (redhead), preferably high Reactions, prefered weapons - shotgun-types & grenades, unless can't handle, pistol + stunner/machete then.

I was afraid you'd say that :( I really don't know what to do with shotguns. They are inaccurate and weak. From 5+ tiles you can't hit even a very big UFO, so you have to come closer... and if you can run to 5 tiles away from the enemy, then you can also go the whole way and hack and slash them face to face with (much more powerful) melee weapons. If you recall, I gave you a blunderbuss in the first mission, but your first shot (from 4-5 tiles distance) was a partial miss and probably did zero damage anyway, the second shot was a complete miss. That's why I gave you a hammer in the next mission, I wanted you to actually kill something. I will of course give you a shotgun, if you'll have the strength for it, but expect that I don't know how to use them and you may end up just running around like a headless chicken.

Now, on paper, this is the weakest Pogrom faction one could face.

I just finished watching Draco's first episode.
His Pogrom had only pureblood-looking guys in brown and blue clothes, pretty squishy as far as I can say... and NO terror units. (Not counting the fact that there were only 22 of them instead of 47 due to difficulty level)
How was my Pogrom easier on paper??
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:38:22 am by Meridian »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #194 on: November 28, 2015, 10:40:03 am »
They had much better guns (also accuracy and reactions) than your enemies, simple as that (no armored cars though). They also had grenades. You'd fare better against them, as they had much fewer shotguns, but so Draco would fare better against Bandits than you did, IMO - he'd just mow them down. Also, Draco is playing on Blackbeard and he had to fight like, half or even less of what you'd face on Jack Sparrow.

As for shotguns, target selection is important. Don't try to kill armored people unless with good ammo. Otherwise, the shotgun is much like a hammer, but you shoot from 4-10 (later more) tiles away and can always bail out. The main difference is, the user usually survives :) I think the Bandits have shown you how to use shotguns in a rather picturesque manner :) Shotgun wielders have to carry something with good range and armor penetration, too - like bombs or grenades. However the armor penetration issue is less pressing once you get good solid slugs for shotguns, they usually out-damage rifles.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 10:43:33 am by Dioxine »