Author Topic: [COMPLETED] Let's play X-PirateZ (182 episodes)  (Read 146369 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Let's play X-PirateZ [#05] Panzerfaust
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2015, 05:27:55 pm »
Aye, Hammers and HE-packs can kill pretty much everything, the only problem is delivery - people using just these have reliable tools, but they will always fight an uphill battle tactics-wise. And Hammer Heroes... it's nice to be a hero, really is, I just think I can be more useful alive :)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play X-PirateZ [#04] Pogrom
« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2015, 08:47:02 pm »
Think RUNTS. And keeping your soldiers alive is always important. What you can afford, is more wounded, not more dead, so armors like Warrior make more sense.

For sure, I very much favour armor even over weapons research. You can deal with most enemies with starting weapons between the blunderbuss and the boarding gun, cutlass/hammer/axe and explosives. Some rifles with high 20s, low 30s damage are quite worth it as well for killing dangerous squishies and taking reaction potshots that sometimes do miracle (hence why I wanted Max to be a midrange gal!)

BlackMarch SMG, Hunting/Scoped rifle, battle rifle are all good for the "midfield" gal. Dioxine's split of 1/3 melee, 1/3 midrange (rifle + some thrown/instant explosives) and 1/3 long range (~2 hunting/scoped/sniper rifles for accuracy, ~2 HMGs for damage) works well. Snipers can easily carry an RPG once they get a bit strong, while midrange get the heavy/auto cannons or blunderbuss/boarding guns for now.

Armor for the frontline gals is very important, and metal armor is a great, quick one to get (if you meet traders, I haven't seem many early in my game). Otherwise tactical armor is a really good armor, with little loss of most stats (except TUs, but if you keep the gals alive long enough, they will get a lot of TUs, and armor will help a lot to keep them alive, more than the initial TUs lost would have). Even very basic armor could have made a fair bit of difference in the injuries we have seen so far in the pogrom.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 10:43:31 pm by Arthanor »

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2015, 09:41:30 pm »
The tactic that got me through the first months was to loot guns in battle. Throw black powber bomb, pick up weapon, shoot.

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2015, 11:51:59 pm »
The tactic that got me through the first months was to loot guns in battle. Throw black powber bomb, pick up weapon, shoot.

Bingo. Use flintlock pistols to train firing accuracy while you get within range to throw bomb, throw bomb, pull up melee to kill if target not dead, drop pistol, grab new weapon, and repeat.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2015, 12:04:26 am »
... and then we meet a Tank and wake up ;-)

JK, I'll be scavenging too in the next 2 episodes... you've probably noticed we ran out of explosives...

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2015, 12:08:35 am »
... and then we meet a Tank and wake up ;-)

JK, I'll be scavenging too in the next 2 episodes... you've probably noticed we ran out of explosives...

Hint: Check manufacture screen to see what explosives you can make. ;)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2015, 12:14:26 am »
Hint: Check manufacture screen to see what explosives you can make. ;)

I meant we ran out of explosives in the mission... next 2 episodes will still be the same pogrom and we'll have to use our imagination instead.

When (if) we get back, I will for sure buy 5 panzerfausts, 30 HE packs and 100+ grenades :)

PS: btw. I can manufacture only Molotovs... so not sure what you meant by your comment... I can't manufacture jack squat yet
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 12:16:13 am by Meridian »

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2015, 12:34:02 am »
I meant we ran out of explosives in the mission... next 2 episodes will still be the same pogrom and we'll have to use our imagination instead.

When (if) we get back, I will for sure buy 5 panzerfausts, 30 HE packs and 100+ grenades :)

PS: btw. I can manufacture only Molotovs... so not sure what you meant by your comment... I can't manufacture jack squat yet

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
You should be able to craft Black Powder Bombs at start which are very useful.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2015, 12:35:16 am »
You will probably need to research FlintLocks & Bombs to get the Black Powders going.  ;)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2015, 01:24:13 am »
Ya, "Flintlocks and Bombs" for making your own black powder is really useful, this will save you a lot of money compared to grenades (and I think they are more powerful too). And it's a pre-req for many a gun research (like all the ammo manufacturing).

Similarly, once you get dynamite, you can start to really have fun with thrown explosives, HE Packs are too expensive. Oh, and get an HMG instead of spending thousands on explosives. That gun kills stuff dead too (as you know from the FMP).

I would buy HE Packs and RPGs before Panzerfaust. If you look at the cost per damage, those weapons are not really worth it. An RPG with a few shots is better imho, and if you need something heavier, HE Packs are still cheaper (and easier to use in heavy terrain).

Of course, my experience comes from the 3rd difficulty, not the last one, but I don't think things change that much, except for the number of enemies getting to crazy levels (the reason why I play at my current difficulty).

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play X-PirateZ [#06] That's not fair...
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2015, 10:24:44 am »
It gets emotional from here... please forgive me, I'm just a human being too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3LkJ6jN_CY

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2015, 12:12:18 pm »
Bad luck with melee, but both tanks destroyed (lucky spawn, there should be 3 :). Luck seems to be mostly on your side in this mission, though. Just a handful of enemies left... But bad things tend to happen with these last enemies... Hope you keep composed and not rush things... These enemies on the platforms will be a problem (I really need to add stairs there! Sorry Hobbes!), probably need to grab Scorpions or whatever guns and kill them really carefully, throwing knives should work too (they have a range of 8 I think, enough). The last (?) ghoul faces 2 hammers, he should not be a problem unless his buddies intervene... Now let's hope everyone survives the last part... RIP Ivana and Simone, you had a good going, especially Simone, at least she wasn't gutted by a Hell Hound...
Looks like you're going to defeat your first pogrom, it was intended that an average player will fail it, congratulations :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 12:19:03 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2015, 12:20:54 pm »
Spoiler for tomorrow's episode as answer to Dioxine's comment above. Do not read if you want to sleep well today!

Spoiler:
There are 3 tanks :(
There's still 10+ enemies left :((
Bad things will happen
Buddies will intervene
There will be more losses
I will lose my nerves
I don't know if I will win or fail... I didn't finish the pogrom yet... I stopped in total agony after 50 minutes and will continue playing on Saturday

Offline Ownager

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2015, 05:29:36 am »
Spoiler for tomorrow's episode as answer to Dioxine's comment above. Do not read if you want to sleep well today!

Spoiler:
There are 3 tanks :(
There's still 10+ enemies left :((
Bad things will happen
Buddies will intervene
There will be more losses
I will lose my nerves
I don't know if I will win or fail... I didn't finish the pogrom yet... I stopped in total agony after 50 minutes and will continue playing on Saturday

So, the storm of doom has only yet begun? Hopefully, it won't be a biblical flood of doom...

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile