Author Topic: [MAPS] New Terror Mission Map Blocks  (Read 116565 times)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: New Terror Mission Map Blocks
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2012, 12:27:09 pm »
easy, the first and topmost square. See example of a spawnpoint where big units can spawn
Notice how the spawnpoints stay one square away from the walls in the south/east and stick to the wall in north/west
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:29:05 pm by Daiky »

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2012, 11:11:18 am »
Good news luke, I can load your custom maps, with custom tilesets and all in openxcom - only by modifying rulesets.
You only probably need to check your spawnpoints - I did see a cyberdisc spawn on a place where he was split in half by a fence.

If i understand correctly, this allows to create new maps and tilesets? Instead of replacing them? So this was not possible in original engine? If so, maybe those screens could be posted on main page with nice information? ;)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2012, 11:14:31 am »
I understand your enthusiasm but can we hold off until the rule sets to use these are made public ( only Dev team can do it at the moment) and until i fine tune these maps. Then i will upload them for everyone.

New Tileset can be added/created  by "MCDADD" Written by BombBloke - You can create NEW sets OR expand existing sets ( that's what i did)
Dashiva is working on a OpenX version of Mapview as there is a few bugs in it currently ( i hope he doesn't mind me posting that publicly)

Yes its a pretty cool step, i HOPE that alot more Modders will start taking openX seriously after these go public. I was talking to Hobbes a few weeks back and mentioned what i was doing and he was surprised OpenX has come so far already :P

What i still want to see in the rule sets is custom size map blocks, i still have a few designs i would like to bring into these , for example map blocks 30x10 for long rows of units ( kind of expired from  "Hobbes" new map block set). https://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/UFO-Terrain-Mod-t9389.html
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:13:51 pm by luke83 »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2012, 01:32:41 pm »
I never really highlighted this "modding" aspect because I figured most people are only interested in fancy things like 32-bit graphics, brand new resource formats, etc, which are far far away. If you don't mind sticking to the X-Com formats though, the engine is as flexible as you want it to be.

And you can specify custom block size in rulesets, this will all be exposed pretty soon. ;)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2012, 11:36:40 am »
Who needs fancy graphics  :-\

I would like to see the resolution increased as shown here : https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,183.0.html    OR scalers incorporated : https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,118.msg706.html#msg706
Adding both of these into openX would handle most peoples graphic requirement.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:03:53 pm by luke83 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2012, 06:00:16 pm »
OK since the IT department at my workplace are lazy ( most likely too busy :P ) i need to immerse myself in excel so i can do a major spreadsheet for work :-[   ( Any excel masters want to offer some advice PM me , i am starting from scratch)

ANYWAY , this means i wont be so active for a week or 2 so just in case i miss the rule sets update to allow my city fight maps to work , please test them for me hopefully i will be back in time.

*Spawn points SHOULD be fixed
*IF you are graphically talented and FIX some of my images ( Disco Tiles suck and park benches are only ok ) please send me the image back also so i can update my game :P
* any problems on a map block let me know and i will fix it - if you fixed it , send me a update

https://www.mediafire.com/?t368t64yv91avp6

I wont be gone for long , i have to much work to do for my version of openxcom

TAKEN FROM MY MAPS AND CITY SCAPE THREAD
1: Human helpers on earth  ( My Red Coat gang) To be use in Upper level of Alien base defence and Special Terrorist missions .   : DONE
2: Civilian sprites that can hold weapons : DONE
3: Training Room for xcom agents using simular rules to X-com apocalypse
4: Sectoid human hybrids ( enemy version and x-com version): To HArd to get the right look - on HOLD
5: Alien reproduction item , that can be recovered in mission ( can be used to quickly heal you units when returning to base OR breed our own Sectoid/human hybrid) :Started
6: Egg sacks for Snakeman to lay ( use as Spawn point during special missions) HOLD
7: New ufo layouts for variety : still planning WHAT i am going to do -- See my UFO thread in Mod section
8: New Terrain versions of existing types for more variety ( New expanded Urban maps almost finished V1.0 )
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 02:06:05 pm by luke83 »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2012, 03:25:21 am »
Just a heads up, terrain data (and probably more) has been moved to the external ruleset, so this is your chance to let me know how horribly broken it probably is! :P (although with Daiky out for a week I probably can't field all the questions)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2012, 01:46:48 pm »
Its official , you can now TEST my maps in game , you just need to mod the openxcom Ruleset and load in my Maps,Routes&frniture set.

I only had a quick go ( as i am already running late for bed) but please give them a go. There was a few issues that i am hopping are related to the OpenXcom and not my maps ( as its less work for me then  :P)

SupSUper can you confirm the MAP CODES within the rule sets , i thought i had it set right for roads and landing zones untill i landed my skyranger within a house ::)

NOW i can test these maps , i will go through each map again this weekend looking for errors ( Like missing floors) and release the next version.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 02:19:33 pm by luke83 »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2012, 04:38:38 pm »
SupSUper can you confirm the MAP CODES within the rule sets , i thought i had it set right for roads and landing zones untill i landed my skyranger within a house ::)

From MapBlock.cpp:

Code: [Select]
enum MapBlockType
{ MT_DEFAULT = 0,
  MT_LANDINGZONE = 1,
  MT_EWROAD = 2,
  MT_NSROAD = 3,
  MT_CROSSING = 4,
  MT_DIRT = 5,
  MT_XCOMSPAWN = 6,
  MT_UBASECOMM = 7,
  MT_FINALCOMM = 8 };

We will document this kind of stuff on the wiki when it becomes official.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2012, 08:54:29 am »
{ MT_DEFAULT = 0,
  MT_LANDINGZONE = 1,
  MT_EWROAD = 2,
  MT_NSROAD = 3,
  MT_CROSSING = 4,
  MT_DIRT = 5,
  MT_XCOMSPAWN = 6,
  MT_UBASECOMM = 7,
  MT_FINALCOMM = 8 };

What is DIRT used for?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2012, 03:33:42 pm »
Filling the empty spaces in X-Com bases.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2012, 03:06:45 pm »
OK  so i spent a few hours fixing some issues that i could see in the map files and  playing a few terror missions just to try them out , must say i really enjoyed myself ;D

as such City Fight V1.1 v1.2 is ready for download, package includes both the maps and routes file, the enlarged furniture terrain file plus a updated ruleset to suit build https://openxcom.ninex.info/git_builds/openxcom_git_master_2012_03_29_0140.zip (this should make it idiot proof for anyone to test these maps)

Still to be done , i need to fix my disco floor tile with something that looks good OR just switch it to a different floor tile and be done with it (not sure what to do yet) but apart from that i am hoping the map set is complete. i will most likely add a few more maps blocks in the future as well as add some new PCk as some objects are not in use in any map block but i want to start working on my other 2 projects ( sailors sprites and new ufo layouts).

Currently map set consists of 37 map blocks , i hope you all enjoy them.

https://www.mediafire.com/?tlk727a0v0h53aa CF_VERSION 1.2

It feels so good after 2 months to see these working in game. I want to thank everyone who helped me bring my terror site dreams to life, you know who you are ;)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 02:10:32 pm by luke83 »

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2012, 05:49:33 pm »
Nice one Luke!

I can't test them now, but I must congratulate you for a job well done.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2012, 03:03:28 am »
Any Feedback on these map to the entire 5 people that have tried them  :P

Things you like , things you don't like, things i must fix ( EG Stupid disco tiles)

Just wanting some feedback

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2012, 02:44:18 pm »
luke83, I like the disco tiles :p Animated tiles make the map more alive.

I would also like to return a question of feedback - since you are currently an openxcom map and objects creator/modder. How was it modding for openxcom, are there many limitations giving you problems?