aliens

Author Topic: Feedback from OpenXCOM TFTD  (Read 9839 times)

Offline grrussel

• Captain
    • View Profile
Feedback from OpenXCOM TFTD
« on: August 11, 2015, 11:39:00 pm »
So far, so good: loving it;

Gods, it got difficult quick. I tried veteran, and the only missions I seemed to get were terror sites... with rookies and starter weapons, eek!

Started again on 'beginner'

So far, all terror missions occur at night, without exception; should they? In the original, the targetting bug let you delay until dawn, but not OpenXCOM, afaict!

The highlight so far was being hit (well, near misses, but same results!) by 4 disrupter pulse missiles, killing 11 of the 14 strong squad, most still in the sub, (the one that ran got shot subsequently, the lone survivor went beserk and shot his sole other remaining comrade, before eventually regaining control and bailing with the sub. I guess it wasn't a great idea to land a triton right next to the intact medium sub.

Other highlight was the lobsterman that climbed up on the triton roof and kept killing any trooper who came out for a shot; its supposed to be my sniper vantage for the initial deployment

Its July, and I have no surviving aquanauts from January. I know of one base I need to deal with, I am still only with plastic aqua armor, have researched all alien non-melee weapons.

Still alive!

The dots on the geoscope for Alien base / terror site seem small relative to Xcom bases, quite hard to see,

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:41:28 pm by grrussel »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback from OpenXCOM TFTD
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 11:42:27 pm »
So far, all terror missions occur at night, without exception; should they? In the original, the targetting bug let you delay until dawn, but not OpenXCOM, afaict!

This bug has been retained in OpenXCom: a site will be active as long as you have a craft targeting it.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 11:53:10 pm »
it's more of a concession than a bug - it's deliberately coded that way.

Offline tifa77

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 10:43:06 pm »
Hello. Great job with the project. so far everything seems great and playing without that annoying lag is such a better experience.

One thing that is glaringly different however is the aliens are now super aggressive and will now charge towards your starting location. This isn't necessarily bad, just different. I guess you fixed the pathing or something? During ship missions I no longer have to search every nook and cranny since they are so aggressive. Recently lost an artefact mission when I got totally swarmed. It's refreshing and makes things easier in a way but eliminates the search and destroy aspect a little.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 11:49:55 pm »
thanks! and yeah, that's mostly due to the pathing. aliens got "stuck" a lot in the original for various reasons.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 04:05:47 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline tifa77

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 03:40:28 am »
A question. I notice there is an option to turn the damage level to 50-150% like in tftd. On default this is normal x-com levels rather than tftd levels. I changed it in options to 50-150 so am I playing the original tftd experience?

On a side note alien colony and artefact missions are now insane, INSANE! flying tentacle monsters with great pathing and multiple blaster launchers! Oh my.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 05:10:48 am »
I changed it in options to 50-150 so am I playing the original tftd experience?
Yes.

niculinux

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 11:41:17 am »
it's more of a concession than a bug - it's deliberately coded that way.

Please may we have the original behaviour! In xcom i progressedmquitw far in the game, but in tftd i early got stuck fairly early, since it is (and imdind) much more more harder thna its predecessor, plus battling a night i find it'nearly impossible to do ; (

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 12:12:31 pm »
Please may we have the original behaviour! In xcom i progressedmquitw far in the game, but in tftd i early got stuck fairly early, since it is (and imdind) much more more harder thna its predecessor, plus battling a night i find it'nearly impossible to do ; (

The night terror missions is the original behaviour... it was the same before.

Just target the site with another craft until it's day, if you don't want to play at night.

niculinux

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 03:25:16 pm »
The night terror missions is the original behaviour... it was the same before.

Just target the site with another craft until it's day, if you don't want to play at night.

ah thanks, cannot remember since did not play that game since 2005!! (I own the xcom: collector's edition; a 2 CD relase that includes xcom/ufo; tfdt - win versions - and xcom:apocslipse!!! Yummy)  :) sry for the aforetyped typos...

Offline tifa77

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 11:37:02 pm »
aliens always seem to be here. may be stuck due to pathing. seen it many many times

Offline DarkGam3r

• Squaddie
  • Frying Lobstermen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 05:49:59 pm »
That's weird. I've recently played some day time terror missions on both Island Attacks and regular beachside ones.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 04:30:01 am »
aliens always seem to be here. may be stuck due to pathing. seen it many many times

yeah, they'll tend to camp the engine rooms a bit, that's fairly intended i would assume.

That's weird. I've recently played some day time terror missions on both Island Attacks and regular beachside ones.

that's not unusual.

Offline tifa77

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 04:01:45 am »
I have encounter many crashes during artefact missions. In one case, the game crashes every time I finish the artefact mission. Also crashes randomly during the mission itself. I got pissed so just went to the final mission. Completed the first phase and it crashed again upon loading the second level. Reloading in all cases will not change the outcome.

I was able to complete my first artefact mission after failing the first (besides random crashes) however the next one suffered the crashing on completion problem.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 05:44:28 am »
i'll need a lot more information than that if i'm to make a fix. could you at least upload a save or something?