aliens

Author Topic: [REMOVED] [DONE] [Suggestion] Add Execution Advanced Option  (Read 22537 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Add Execution Advanced Option
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 05:40:14 pm »
@wsmithjr: Well, that's part of the challenge of the game. Never leave stunned chryssalids/calcinites/lobstermen/ethereals unattended behind your lines.

@yrizoud: I believe that option is already available in OpenXCom Extended. If you hit a tile with an unconscious unit, it will get damage. It may even be that hitting a tile with items will damage them too, I can't remember.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 11:21:09 pm »
@yrizoud: I believe that option is already available in OpenXCom Extended. If you hit a tile with an unconscious unit, it will get damage. It may even be that hitting a tile with items will damage them too, I can't remember.
Only units can be hit on ground. Items can be hit only by explosions.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 06:00:59 am »
easy execution

prime grenade  to say 2 turns

drop it on the ground on top of the stunned body

you're good to go leave lobsterman stunned body behind

aka EZ

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 06:39:54 am »
Not that ez because you have to relocate all the loot (or I have to carry the alien's fat ass away). Again, it's stupidly microintensive and time consuming; there's no reason I shouldn't be able to just straight up merc an unconscious alien.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:48:42 am by Surrealistik »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 03:51:19 pm »
(I really wonder how many times you'd have to stomp on a lobsterman to actually kill him...)

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 04:15:51 pm »
Are you wearing very heavy boots?

Offline DrkPaladin

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 03:10:26 am »
Maybe a mod that would allow us to 'prime' unconscious aliens, and then throw them across the map so that they can explode in a dramatic (but pointless) explosion.  Have it do damage based on the throwing soldier's strength and do extra damage to terrain :)

Oh, or maybe a 'kill' command for the attack dog that does damage to the tile it is standing on.

Ooh, or maybe a mod for a weapon that can be loaded with unconscious or dead aliens and then catapulted across the map.

Oooh, it doesn't even need to be a weapon, it could just be a giant wood chipper, meat grinder, or furnace that one of your soldiers carries on their back and gets loaded.  Then they get the option to 'turn the crank'.... which doesn't do anything except make some satisfying noise and get rid of whats inside.

Sorry, I've been playing alot of Piratez, so this is what came to mind.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:22:34 pm by Surrealistik »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2015, 05:11:30 pm »
i actually knocked this up a few years ago...

I like the "break neck" option proposed by Warboy on the previous page.

Small question: what do you think how much TUs should that cost?
a/ 50%
b/ 75%
c/ 25%
d/ 10 TU
e/ 20 TU
f/ other ?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2015, 06:25:41 pm »
a: 50%.  Shouldn't be free, and should include a check by the soldier just to be sure.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2015, 11:49:08 am »
What if the enemy doesn't have any neck? :) Or if it's obvious that your soldier can't do squat with his bare hands? It's actually not that easy to murder a human with your bare hands, less so say, a Muton :) (japanese wartime documents support that view - they concluded that it's terribly inefficient and prisoners should be killed with knives instead).

Also, OXCE already allows shooting at unconscious enemies.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2015, 12:19:07 pm »
What if the enemy doesn't have any neck? :) Or if it's obvious that your soldier can't do squat with his bare hands? It's actually not that easy to murder a human with your bare hands, less so say, a Muton :) (japanese wartime documents support that view - they concluded that it's terribly inefficient and prisoners should be killed with knives instead).

Also, OXCE already allows shooting at unconscious enemies.

I expected this :)

What about I check first, if you have a weapon with STR_DAMAGE_MELEE damage type in the second hand (first hand is holding the alien) and only then allow execution ("Cut Throat" instead of "Break Neck", with fixed TU cost = 10)... I think OXCE doesn't allow killing enemies this way... and shooting at them is... well, awkward/unpractical in OXC. And you cannot choose who to shoot at if there are multiple on the same tile.

And yes, not everyone has a neck/throat... I could make a ruleset property for this... default being "yes". I just don't like to make such changes, so first iteration would be without it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:21:50 pm by Meridian »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2015, 01:05:33 pm »
Hmmm... so maybe just a 'coup de grace' option to attack a unit you're standing on?

Summary: needs a melee weapon (gun with melee is a no-no w/o changing the UI, as its' 5 use options already barely fit the screen), uses that melee weapon's stats, but always hits and always inflicts max damage, at double TU cost? Might be the best compromise between simplicity and realism. Could be used to spam stun damage, though, this is somewhat a downside.

Option to hit people with bare hands should also appear at some point... :)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2015, 01:59:51 pm »
Hmmm... so maybe just a 'coup de grace' option to attack a unit you're standing on?

Summary: needs a melee weapon (gun with melee is a no-no w/o changing the UI, as its' 5 use options already barely fit the screen), uses that melee weapon's stats, but always hits and always inflicts max damage, at double TU cost? Might be the best compromise between simplicity and realism. Could be used to spam stun damage, though, this is somewhat a downside.

Option to hit people with bare hands should also appear at some point... :)

That's problematic, because you can stand on 10 units at once.

The idea (as illustrated) was that you have to select a specific unit (by picking it up from the ground to one hand) and then the action would be triggered by clicking on the alien, not on the weapon. Also, no problem with UI because currently you have only one action on aliens (Throw), so two will still fit nicely.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2015, 02:23:18 pm »
Yeah that makes sense. And eliminates the need to double the TU cost on attack, too, since you'll be using up TUs to pick the enemy up anyway.