aliens

Author Topic: Wrong mission zones in TftD?  (Read 3816 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Wrong mission zones in TftD?
« on: August 07, 2015, 06:44:08 am »
I'm no expert in regions and especially not missions with the new scripting stuff, but I decided to try TftD and noticed this.

My base is in the North Atlantic, but for some reason the aliens decided to launch their alien probe mission in the South Atlantic?

In fact, now that I look at it, my globe is a bit wonky, but that might be because it's a TftD globe and I haven't seen one in a long time.. Just seems odd that Free China is roughly in the Philippines, the Asian Coalition in India, and New Mexico in the water west of Mexico.

I've attached a save for the base/mission stuff.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong mission zones in TftD?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 01:39:33 pm »
hit ctrl+d on the geoscape (after setting debug: true in your config) to see the region zone outlines and have your mouse pointer coordinates displayed at the top of the screen

it should look something like this:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/images/archive/b/bd/20090713225549!WorldMap_RegionalZones_TFTD.png

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 04:42:48 pm »
uhuh.. So the "South Atlantic" extends north past Florida. That's a bit unexpected. Best way to miss out on all the fun: Put your base at the northern edge of the South Atlantic, well within the North Atlantic. Maybe the pole shifted between XCom and TftD.

Good news is, regions in game look just like the picture. I should have looked on the ufopaedia first I guess.

Thanks!

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 04:22:06 pm »
Best way to miss out on all the fun: Put your base at the northern edge of the South Atlantic, well within the North Atlantic. Maybe the pole shifted between XCom and TftD.

I'd say the opposite: if you place your base at the frontier between both regions then you have a chance of detecting missions in both.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 05:07:06 pm »
Well, my first month was a terror somewhere and one very small USO on its way south. I suspect USOs are mostly active in the real south part of the South Atlantic. They can get there from other places than the North Atlantic too, so I didn't see them at all.

With a longer range sonar that might work, and in general (or in UFO) I agree that covering multiple regions is good (one reason many people start in the Middle East in UFO), but for a first base in TftD it made for the most boring January ever.