Author Topic: OLD MODS ON POST 7TH MAY SET UP  (Read 5288 times)

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
OLD MODS ON POST 7TH MAY SET UP
« on: July 07, 2015, 12:39:21 am »
Was just wondering, if and when I ever finish my run through of Piratez, do I need to add a metadata.yml file to any older mod that was created long before the installation changes. For example if using the latest nightly and the mod attached would I need a metadata.yml file as follows:

name: WeaponBreachingCharge
version: 1.2
author: Civilian
description: "This mod adds a small piece of equipment to OpenXcom that can break through UFO hulls: The Breaching Charge."
master: ""

Also and I can't mind where but recently I read on article on the forum saying that "" will suffice for the master instead of xcom1 etc. Thanks in advance.

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: OLD MODS ON POST 7TH MAY SET UP
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 06:00:33 am »
Old mods don't need a metadata.yml to work.  Just decompress them into a subdir of mods/ and they'll work fine.

and yeah, a blank for master just uses the default: "xcom1"

see https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3617.0.html for details, especially the "Additional info for mod authors" section.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 06:19:36 am »
Thanks and I can also see from the link you provided about having the master as "*" will make the mod available across all masters.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 05:27:32 pm »
For myself and anyone else using older mods, I would recommend this tool.

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 12:00:03 am »
For myself and anyone else using older mods, I would recommend this tool.
what is it and what does it do?  if you post an opaque exe in a public forum without explanation, only really naive people will download and execute it : )

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 12:21:26 am »
Sorry I should have given a better explaination so here it is. It works like the new mod structure for older mods and pre 7th May nightlies. Simply extract JSGME into the old DATA folder and when adding mods simply put them into the newly created MODS folder so the previous example of Breaching Charge would be:

MODS\BREACHING CHARGE\RESOURCES
MODS\BREACHING CHARGE\RULESET

I've used this before and as long as you stick to the above structure it's just a simple matter of copying your chosen mod. In the pictures attached I've just extracted JSGME onto my desktop but obviously you would put it in the data folder. The whole reason I've mentioned this is that my current playthrough of Piratez is off nightly Soldier Diaries Legacy 2015 04 30 0620+win32. I hope this explains a bit better. It's just there may be other people still using pre 7th May nightlies and in a sense this is "like" the new mod structure. See also this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmEaK3E2Acg

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 09:04:53 pm »
I see, so it copies mods into the data folder on demand for older openxcom builds, mimicking the new mods folder structure.  It will still suffer from the old problem of file overwrites (if two mods have the same filename or if a vanilla file is overwritten, removing that mod after installing it will break the game), but I can definitely see how the tool can be useful in this transition period.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 03:29:07 pm »
Perhaps we need a "mod orphanage" thread, where people could post updated versions of mods which are no longer developed by their original authors...
That's how Dwarf Fortress community works anyway. (Well, one generous user does it and it stuck.)

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 04:28:58 pm »
That sounds a very good idea as I was looking through all the mods I have downloaded and the oldest is "CULT" (attached) from 17th February 2014.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 10:57:58 pm »
I have made a updated Version of Lukes Expanded Terror,
i only added a metadata.yml and updated the Mapscript so it will work on newer Version.

I attached it here

And made a comment with the link to the forum thread in the Modportal commentary section.