Author Topic: Looking for a co-op squad level combat board game like X-COM? Galaxy Defenders  (Read 6457 times)

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
Just picked up a copy of Galaxy Defenders and played it last night.  Awesome game! I bring it to your attention, because it reminds me of X-COM in a board game format.  Now, I know there is a now an board game called "X-COM: The board game", but I hear it greatly abstracts away the tactical combat side of X-COM.  It should probably be called "X-COM: The Geoscape simulator board game".  When I think of X-COM, I think of squad level combat.  Galaxy Defenders does this in an awesome way.  You can pick your agents with differing abilities.  You can pick your equipment and upgrade your equipment over time.  You can improve agent's skills and abilities.  The alien A.I. is pretty slick for a cooperative game (there are rules on the website for a player controlling all aliens).  It comes with 12 missions that can be played in a campaign format, so agents carry their improved abilities over to the next mission.  Also, more missions are available for download on the website.

There will be expansions later this year that will continue the story and add cooler weapons and tougher aliens.

Here's a site with some reviews: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/138431/galaxy-defenders
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 04:30:52 am by jgatkinsn »

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
I don't really have much of anyone to play board games with, but it does look quite interesting. It reads like a board game hybrid of the original X-com and X-com 2012.

(By the way, your first link is broken. It should be "www.galaxy-defenders.com" with a hyphen, not "www.galaxydefenders.com.")

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
I don't really have much of anyone to play board games with, but it does look quite interesting. It reads like a board game hybrid of the original X-com and X-com 2012.

(By the way, your first link is broken. It should be "www.galaxy-defenders.com" with a hyphen, not "www.galaxydefenders.com.")

Thanks, I fixed the link.   You can still play it solo, because it says one to five players on the box :)

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Board games are for losers.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Board games are for losers.

Sorry you feel that way. My son and I are having a blast together :)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
I love board games too. Thanks for sharing this one.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
I love board games too. Thanks for sharing this one.

No problem.   My son and I had a blast playing through the campaign over vacation.   I will warn you that missions involving all 5 agents (soldiers) can take a while to go through (like 3 hrs).

We're looking forward to trying it again with the harder alien pack that we also got with the base game.

I think my favorite agents are the sniper (especially when you get him paired up with alien tech), and the biotech who gets to use drones in combat.