Author Topic: How can I get to the folders installing from Steam? (Mac build)  (Read 4987 times)

Offline prbalbontin

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Hi,

This is all the information I've found to install openxcom on a Mac.

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Installing_(OpenXcom)

I just purchased my Steam copy of XCOM: UFO Defense. The problem is that I don't know how to get to the folders that I have to put in the Openscom data folder, since Steam doesn't let me download the file.

Thank you!

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: How can I get to the folders installing from Steam? (Mac build)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 11:00:33 pm »
Wait, I'm confused -- when you buy xcom on steam on OSX, it doesn't download the xcom files to your hard drive?  I'm on OSX too, but I don't have steam.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 11:23:42 pm »
I never used a Mac, but from what I heard of bundles and googling around, you should be able to locate the "UFO defense" application in SteamApps/common.
Use the contextual menu "Show Package Contents" on it, and a new Finder window should open, letting you browse all the individual files and directories.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 11:25:54 pm »
Try
~/Documents/Steam Content
or
"~/Library/Application Support/Steam"

as per google result: https://superuser.com/questions/141219/where-does-steam-download-apps-to-on-mac-whats-the-save-path

Offline prbalbontin

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 02:31:35 am »
Unfortunately looking for the files on my Mac doesn't work  :-[ I located the folder where the game should be, but it doesn't appear there. The reason, I guess, is that the version that I bought in Steam is Windows only, so it doesn't let me install it on my Mac (therefore, the precious game data won't appear there).

So I guess at this point there are just two options:

1) Is there a Mac version of UFO: Enemy Unknown that I can buy?

2) If you are a Mac user: how did you do it?

Thanks for your help, people.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 12:03:30 pm »
if you can bootcamp into windows you can install it via steam that way, and if you own a product license i believe it's legal for you to download it from "other" sources (no public links please)
if you choose to go the latter route, just be careful not to get a version that comes with xcomutil pre-attached, as it will cause further problems.

disclaimer:
this may, of course, be dependant on local laws. i must stress that i am NOT a lawyer or any kind of authority on this matter, and this is all purely conjecture on my behalf.