aliens

Author Topic: Game crashes every time I do a terror mission.  (Read 6127 times)

Offline AdSin15

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Game crashes every time I do a terror mission.
« on: June 06, 2015, 01:04:55 am »
I recently downloaded OpenXcom and it has revitalized my love of this game.  My regular computer is broken and I'm using an old machine that doesn't play modern games.  Discovering Openxcom is wonderful because it fixes the majority of problems with the original game! 

Then I discovered mods...the weapons mods and others are fantastic!  I have the Final Mod Pack, Sectopod HWPs, Shotguns, etc etc as well. 

Now after downloading some mods, my game now crashes when I attempt to do a terror mission.  When I click "Yes" on landing for the terror mission the game stalls for about 15 seconds and then crashes to desktop.  Every time.  I tried skipping the first mission and I get the same mission again next month (same city) and again it crashes if I click Yes on the mission.  I dont even get to the pre-mission inventory screen. 

Any thoughts?

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
Re: Game crashes every time I do a terror mission.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 01:52:59 am »
I recently downloaded OpenXcom and it has revitalized my love of this game.  My regular computer is broken and I'm using an old machine that doesn't play modern games.  Discovering Openxcom is wonderful because it fixes the majority of problems with the original game! 

Then I discovered mods...the weapons mods and others are fantastic!  I have the Final Mod Pack, Sectopod HWPs, Shotguns, etc etc as well. 

Now after downloading some mods, my game now crashes when I attempt to do a terror mission.  When I click "Yes" on landing for the terror mission the game stalls for about 15 seconds and then crashes to desktop.  Every time.  I tried skipping the first mission and I get the same mission again next month (same city) and again it crashes if I click Yes on the mission.  I dont even get to the pre-mission inventory screen. 

Any thoughts?

I Would try as a first to dissable all the mods except the FMP. If you have the FMP they are redundant since those are included in it. After you do this and the problem is persisting activate savescumming, and try again a number of times to see if its a map problem.

Can you list a specific mod list you are using?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 03:23:48 am »
i'd suggest the opposite, disable fmp.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 03:56:59 am »
i'd suggest the opposite, disable fmp.

Wouldnt the result be the same though? My bet is one of those mods is interfering with FMPs weapons on some variable or graphic. Probably even code of some short if it happens one of them to be outdated (speculation). If the game runs ok with the FMP, then it would be a matter of checking the mods one by one to see which causes the confict. If that is the case to begin with.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 04:03:32 am by pilot00 »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 08:35:17 am »
no, it wouldnt.
the difference is that if it occurs without the FMP, then i'll debug it and try to figure out a fix. otherwise it falls into the category of "someone else's problem"

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 05:12:31 pm »
no, it wouldnt.
the difference is that if it occurs without the FMP, then i'll debug it and try to figure out a fix. otherwise it falls into the category of "someone else's problem"

You are trying to find out if the problem is on the source game i.e. openxcom/the nightly itself. Ok I understand that. But I dont think thats the case because we would have had more reports about similar behaviour correct? Thats why I said to check the mods first.

Anyway it was just a suggestion on my part.

Op hows it going, any news?

Offline AdSin15

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 06:45:55 pm »
Oh hey sorry for not responding.  I actually fixed it rather quickly by turning off the Terrain Pack. 

I read that others had a similar, but different, issue with certain creatures movements causing the game to lock up during terror missions, which was fixed by disabling the terrain mod. 

I tried doing that and it worked immediately.  So far no relapses of the issue after 5 terror missions and 5 months of gameplay. 

Thanks for the responses!  I love this website!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 04:09:19 pm »
There was probably an error loading some map block; I know some of them are faulty and are waiting until Hobbes fixes them.

If I'm right, turning the FMP on and off resetted the terrain generation seed, so the faulty block was not chosen this time.