Author Topic: Region labels  (Read 5871 times)

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
Region labels
« on: May 31, 2015, 02:49:49 pm »
Any chance of adding label support for regions in the same format as countries labelling?

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Region labels
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 03:34:51 pm »
Including borders of the regions, would be nice, indeed.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 07:01:22 pm »
you can add borders with more polylines but they are indistinguishable from country borders (only one color) and for the current regions they are frequently in water

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 03:12:56 pm »
Still think that labels for regions would be very useful for modders as any new regions added to the globe are very hard to find, especially if your using graphs to track alien activities!

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 03:23:03 pm »
you can add borders with more polylines but they are indistinguishable from country borders (only one color) and for the current regions they are frequently in water
One possibility would be, to make them switchable, like the country borders, but with another switch, independend from country. So you could have one of them, or both, or none. Would that be possible, from an engine point of view?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 03:59:49 pm »
Frankly I can't see the need; it's not like people don't know where Pacific Ocean is.

Oh wait, what about the Mars project? :)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 04:01:15 pm »
Everybody knows, where Terra Meridianis borders are. :P

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 09:16:27 pm »
Frankly I can't see the need; it's not like people don't know where Pacific Ocean is.

Oh wait, what about the Mars project? :)

;)

I didn't think about it all until after finishing the regions and looking at the graphs and thinking, nice that works then... but hold on... where the bloody hells Arabia terra??? lol

Really need labels for anywhere but earth i think, landmasses are all well and good if you know the planet  :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 09:50:06 pm »
;)

I didn't think about it all until after finishing the regions and looking at the graphs and thinking, nice that works then... but hold on... where the bloody hells Arabia terra??? lol

Really need labels for anywhere but earth i think, landmasses are all well and good if you know the planet  :)

For the time being you can try to have both regions and countries with the same borders, with the country labels having the region names instead. Afterwards you can use the cities to help players find the country, so if you have Marsec as a country you could name its cities as Marsec HQ, etc. But this depends on the country system you want to implement.

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 10:15:26 pm »
For the time being you can try to have both regions and countries with the same borders, with the country labels having the region names instead. Afterwards you can use the cities to help players find the country, so if you have Marsec as a country you could name its cities as Marsec HQ, etc. But this depends on the country system you want to implement.

Think this is what will need to be done for now, or each region has its own city regardless of countries or allegiance.