Author Topic: Sometimes a loss is very satisfying!  (Read 2510 times)

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
Sometimes a loss is very satisfying!
« on: May 25, 2015, 07:41:32 am »
Just an FYI,  I haven't played OXC in weeks.  Been too busy between life and working on auto update script.

So, I start up a Final Mod Pack at SuperHuman difficulty for the first time.  I promptly shoot down a large scout full of sectoids with my starting crew.  I can't recall ever seeing so many sectoids close to my skyranger (like 5 I think).  Even with smoke put down in the first turn, I'm losing soldiers left and right trying to get off the skyranger and patch up unconscious soldiers.   I slowly clear the LZ at heavy losses (grenades were my salvation), and by the time I get things cleared to the UFO door, I'm down to 3 brave rookies ready to breach.  My first soldier goes into the door, and finds a sectoid with his back to him.  Bang, Bang, it goes down.  The rest slowly clear the UFO and realize that there is at least more outside and it's close to turn 20.  I decide to hunker down inside the craft and wait for them to come to me.  At about turn 22, the final sectoid enters the one of the doors (I'm covering two doors).  Unfortunately, I had two soldiers covering the wrong door, so the other goes down after getting one shot on the sucker.  I try to get the last two remaining soldiers into position, but their reactions just aren't good enough as they go down one by one.

It was a tough loss, but extremely fun :)

Offline NuclearStudent

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Sometimes a loss is very satisfying!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 08:11:53 am »
Ah, yeah. I experienced my first full squad wipe ever in almost the same circumstance. I remember hopping into a fresh game with this mod pack I had never tried before. It was also Superhuman and I was creeping through a Mayan junglescape with my starting crew. As soon as I got off the Skyranger, I took heavy losses. Before the Final Mod Pack, I named my enemies Tangos, or Gellies, or Fat Charlie. Whimsical stuff that made me laugh. I took floaters more seriously after Gary Hardin, Hanni Fallis, and Jesper Falks were the only soldiers left. They blew out our brains as I marched through the jungle with only pistols and light rifles to bring to bear. It's funny how you forget how much you use every single soldier in your crew until you only have eight rookies to work with.

Oh, but the others weren't all dead before I got to the UFO. A quick handed soldier with a pistol and a slow, heavy hitter that expended four or five grenades were still there, and I prepped the breach. Unlike you, my breacher went down as soon as I stepped in. It was a poor decision jumping in like that. Gary went down, unconscious on a mission without medkits-the alien had shot him when I moved him in after the breacher. They got the grenade slugger the turn after-rat bastard of a floater just walked right out and shot her. I walked in with my three and covered a single door.

The following turn, I popped the door rather than wait for reactions to bail me out. Hanni went down hard. She hit her shot, but with a crappy pistol it wasn't enough. Private Jesper killed the alien bugger, and proceeded to draw reaction fire from another floater behind him. Incredibly enough, he survived, but took four fatal wounds in the process. Gary Hardin took his shot and missed. The bullets passed through the armpits and cape of that damned back floater.

Hardin ran for it. Jesper was shot behind him. To this day I still don't know if the floater that burst out and killed him was the same one that killed Jesper Falks.