Author Topic: iPad Port  (Read 11554 times)

Offline bubblecannon

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
iPad Port
« on: January 16, 2012, 05:54:16 am »
Bit of a brain fart, but I was wondering if anyone had ever done a feasibility analysis for a free (no ad crap) ipad xcom version?

Specifically:
* how we'd get around the art work / music legal limitations? (i.e. can we get the user to copy/download an art pack file into an app sandbox? distribute with stock open source imagery and allow a new skin?)
* memory / cpu intensity? still haven't had a look at just how much cpu xcom consumes - wouldn't have though too much (especially if we use OpenGL ES for a 3D sphere)
* save games / etc?
* UI modifications from mouse to multi-touch gesture?
* etc

I picked up a huge bit of sunburn on the weekend and so spent about a day on my ass unable to do much so just began doing a bit of reading - will post as I read more - but seems fairly doable.  I'm not sure if there would be a brick wall when it comes to publishing via app store but that other xcom clone got through.

(note, specifically ipad focused - imho iphone/touch doesn't have the viewable screen size - not resolution - to pull it off)

(I have to do some ios projects for work this year and this might tie in pretty well in little spare time.  Basically remain open source, look for others keen to do same thing as a learning project.  The renderer would have to change to make the most out of the ipad but hopefully retain the core engine.  Really just doing a time, space and feasibility estimation at this point)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 05:57:22 am by bubblecannon »

Offline bubblecannon

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: iPad Port
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 02:51:53 am »
Micro update - I've been progressing this as a bit of a side project.  I'll set up a proper git fork when it's in a reasonable state but essentially is a renderer conversion to use 3D with the entire back end driven by openxcom.  It may end up easier to replace the geoscape completely but I'm going to minimise battle scape changes at this point.

I'm doing a couple of graphics subjects this semester for my masters and using this as a fun side project to apply some of the study.  At this point most it is simple proof on concept seperate apps for each bit.  I've converted the geoscape into a simple 3D model with lighting as a proof of concept - works well.  I'm new to opengl lighting so I'm playing with an idea to make a 3d battlescape but there's heaps of corner cases to keep it true to the original so may turn into complete fail and return to 2D.

Using the real UFO graphics is a bit of a muck around to keep it legal and free.  Basically, it supports files through itunes so it works like this currently:
* use my java tool to reprocess your original ufo data into a data blob file
* copy that blob through itunes into the apps folder
* bammo the app can legally use the original artwork

Finally, this is something I'm keen on doing but is a hobby - family/work/study come first but I'm finding about 10 hrs/week free.  A lot more during semester breaks.  If apple let me release a tech demo I'll put one up soon demonstrating the globe.  (It's free, no ads, but manage expectations - literally a first step tech feasibility test - I'm new to opengl and ios)

Volutar

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 05:36:31 am »
bubblecannon, it would be nice if you post some screenshots from your WIP of ipad branch of oxc. I'd like to look on geoscape :)
Concerning 3d battlescape - it way too hard to implement comparing to simple opengl sprites. Not saying about making whole new models/textures. This subject was discussed number of times on forum and on IRC.

Offline bubblecannon

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 06:29:15 am »
will do vol. I've mapped out a few feasibility ideas but if it's a path to failure I'd be keen to learn from others expertise.  Have a good link for the posts?

Volutar

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 06:39:19 am »

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 09:52:08 am »
You also might check out an existing XCom iPad port:
https://www.aliensvshumansapp.com/