aliens

Author Topic: Upgrading to the nightly  (Read 83635 times)

Offline Ishmaeel

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading to the nightly
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 03:20:44 pm »
sure, stress testing would be appreciated at this point

Well, it didn't go as well as I hoped it would. As of now, UFO and TFTD subfolders are hardcoded, correct?
https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/blob/ff7f14193030922124bdc981e4b98de0d3ab302f/src/Engine/Options.cpp#L290

I was hoping to override those with the -data switch or at least by editing the respective metadata.yml files to be able to use an in-place Steam-based installation.

Oh well, I'll just duplicate the XCOM folder as UFO for now.

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 05:08:42 pm »
I'll update the second post documentation according to recent commits.

Warboy updated the yaml->yml change, and I just added in some clarification around sprite limits:
the sprite limit is now *per mod*, not *per ruleset*.  this means that you can split your ruleset into multiple files and sprites declared in one can be used in the others.  The sprite limit is still 1000 for regular mods, but is effectively infinite for masters.  Masters can use as many sprite numbers as they want.  Any mods that declare a master, though, must only use numbers higher than what the master uses to ensure no collisions.  So, for example, if a master uses ids for sprites up to 4350, maybe all mods for that master could start their ids at 6000 or so.  Even if there is id overlap *between mods*, the engine will keep them straight and each mod will refer correctly to its own sprites.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 05:30:43 pm by myk002 »

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 05:35:32 pm »
Well, it didn't go as well as I hoped it would. As of now, UFO and TFTD subfolders are hardcoded, correct?

I was hoping to override those with the -data switch or at least by editing the respective metadata.yml files to be able to use an in-place Steam-based installation.
Well, the *detection* of UFO and TFTD is hard coded, but the actual loading of data files is not.  If you want to get around having a copy of the data, you can point the -data parameter to one level up from the steam XCOM folder, add a file named TERRAIN/UFO1.PCK to the UFO directory (it can be an empty file, it just has to exist), and change the loadResources line in xcom1's metadata.yml file to read XCOM instead of UFO.  I haven't tested this, but it should work.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 05:38:31 pm by myk002 »

Offline Ishmaeel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 05:52:00 pm »
...add a file named TERRAIN/UFO1.PCK to the UFO directory (it can be an empty file, it just has to exist), and change the loadResources line in xcom1's metadata.yml file to read XCOM instead of UFO.

I tested it. It does work. Thanks.

Edit: Didn't even have to specify the -data argument. Creating UFO directory right within Steam game folder was sufficient.

This hadn't even occurred to me. I thought there would be a more involved process after the initial detection because the error page complains about GEODATA/PALETTES.DAT being not found. :o
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 05:54:39 pm by Ishmaeel »

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 08:22:17 pm »
Since we have to re-install OpenXcom, reinstall mods, and re-enable said mods, will this force a restart of campaigns? I'm hesitant to upgrade right this second due to fear of having to start all over again.

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 08:38:51 pm »
THX FOR THE WORK.

waiting the tftd thx

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 08:39:30 pm »
Since we have to re-install OpenXcom, reinstall mods, and re-enable said mods, will this force a restart of campaigns? I'm hesitant to upgrade right this second due to fear of having to start all over again.
Step by Step Guide for Upgrading:
  • Copy your original UFO data files somewhere safe
  • Uninstall OpenXcom and remove any files left behind in the "data" directory
  • Install OpenXcom
  • Copy your original UFO data files into the UFO directory
  • Start OpenXcom to make sure it loads ok
  • Extract any mods you want to install into the "mods" directory, beneath where your savegames are located.  Ensure each mod is extracted into a separate directory under the mods directory.  See the example below.
  • Start OpenXcom, go to Options -> Mods, and enable mods you want to use.
  • Your old savegames will work just fine as long as the same mods you had loaded before are still loaded.
Keep a backup of the old openxcom folder in case you mess it up.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 08:49:51 pm »
Oh. Shit.  :-[ My am dumb

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 09:23:46 pm »
Awesome. This will help greatly with keeping all of that terrain stuff in order. Question. Is there a way to enable or disable individual rulesets within a mod like say if a mod had an alternate ruleset? It appears as though that selecting a mod by default enables all rulesets at once within the mod folder.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 09:54:28 pm »
It appears as though that selecting a mod by default enables all rulesets at once within the mod folder.

correct, but you CAN have mods reference data in other folders, so you could make it "modular" in that sense

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 10:08:56 pm »
Why? Why? Why? We're doomed! We're all doomed! Great work! :D

I'll see if I can upgrade today the Terrain Pack to the newest nightly (which should also help distracting me from home improvement hell).

Awesome. This will help greatly with keeping all of that terrain stuff in order.

One thing I noticed is that there has been also a change to make alien itemLevels less restrictive, so ideally modders won't have to create their own Terrain Pack rulesets because of different itemlevels.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:19:14 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 10:16:34 pm »
at the translation site Spanish (latam) is 100% translated but Latest Nightly have untranslated strings!
on the other hand.... awesome job!

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2015, 10:25:35 pm »
the transifex issues will be sorted out over the weekend with any luck

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 12:38:45 am »
Good God thank you so much for the step-by-step process on how to get this mofo running. My face probably looked like I was pushing out a growler waiting to see if I got it working correctly. Just a quick question, the default, un-modded music seems different now (like there's more to it). Did something change with that or am I just losing my mind?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:50:52 am by Phoenix7786 »

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2015, 01:01:11 am »
Did something change with that or am I just losing my mind?
It's always /possible/ that the code changes are unintentionally causing different files to get picked up, but I still suspect the latter option...
If anyone else notices anything, please speak up.