Author Topic: French Canadian Translation  (Read 9129 times)

Offline DragonsLover

• Squaddie
  • Mrawr!
    • View Profile
French Canadian Translation
« on: April 26, 2015, 11:21:02 am »
Hello everyone, I'm new here!

I'd be interested to translate Open XCom to French Canadian, with the help of the original French language and the new French language. I have registered to Transifex and would like to have the language added so that I could start translating. If possible, I would also like to proofread. I'm already a proofreader of a few projects on CrowdIn and I always make sure the translations are correct.

Thanks!

Offline DragonsLover

• Squaddie
  • Mrawr!
    • View Profile
Re: French Canadian Translation
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 09:07:40 am »
Hey everyone, I'm back! ;D

It's just to say that I have finished translating all the stings on Transifex for the French (Canada) for several days of hard work. However, there are still many things for me to fix before to make everything correct.

I've noticed though that compared to the already existing YML files, there are some strings missing, like the terrain types or the "Audio Sample Rate" option, or not in the same orders and in other cases, I have extra lines that don't exist in other languages, and to this I wanna ask: where is the absolute latest version of the original texts file (en_US I assume)? Does Transifex has all the strings to use in the game? And how do I submit the completed version of my translations?

Also, where can I define the "Québécois" string in the languages menu in-game?

And I have also translated the strings for the installer, but the "Français (Canada)" language isn't in the installer. Why is that?

Is there a way to be able to see every single texts and UI in the game for easy translation testing?

Thanks for the answers!

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 03:13:17 pm »
Hello.

Translation comes to nightly with some delay. Builder gathers fresh portion when is there new commits in git repository. So your translations will be in place tonight or tomorrow.

Installer translations is intended only for official versioned OpenXcom (like 1.0 or future 2.0).

Offline DragonsLover

• Squaddie
  • Mrawr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 06:39:37 am »
Thanks for the info!

Now, I'm facing a problem on TFTD translations. The term "sub" is okay in English, it's the short word for "submarine", but when it comes in French, it becomes troublesome because there's not really any short words for "sous-marin" and if often ends up having the text too long for many strings used in the game. I was thinking to use some kind of new acronym: SMA (for Sous-Marin Alien) the same way it goes with UFOs, but would that be intuitive (the term would be mentioned in the UFOpedia though)? Would it be okay if I use some kind of mix between the acronym and the normal text (for instance, "Le SMA n'est pas récupéré" vs "Le sous-marin alien est récupéré")? Should I keep the term "sub" but for a synonym of "sous-marin" which is "submersible"?

Ideally, having a larger area for the texts would be neat, but if it's not possible, I'd like to get any advice about that, because translating this game can become annoying.

Thanks!

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 08:12:55 am »
Apparently, USO means "Unidentified Submarine Object", like the UFO for "Unidentified Flying Object". It thus seems sensible to translate it to OSNI for "Object Sous-marin Non-Identifié", to go with the "Object Volant Non-Identifié" of OVNI.

Although the acronym isn't common (or doesn't exist at all..), seeing it in a XCom game and in context, it should seem pretty obvious.

Offline DragonsLover

• Squaddie
  • Mrawr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 02:20:42 am »
Nice idea, thanks for that. I even wonder why I didn't think about that earlier.

But is the term "USO" commonly used in TFTD?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 02:29:31 am »
For some reason, I was convinced it was.. but I can't find a single instance of it in the en-US file. Weird.. I guess it isn't used.. But I would still suggest it as a translation for the tftd strings corresponding to where XCom:EU uses UFO in English and OVNI in French.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 02:43:48 am »
For some reason, I was convinced it was.. but I can't find a single instance of it in the en-US file. Weird.. I guess it isn't used.. But I would still suggest it as a translation for the tftd strings corresponding to where XCom:EU uses UFO in English and OVNI in French.

Yeah, I agree here.  Its pretty standard TftD terminology, even if its not traceable in the en-US file.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 11:39:55 am »
It's not used in vanilla TFTD but it's pretty popular with translators facing the same issue, so feel free to use it. :P English will always be vanilla but translators are free to use more appropriate terminology, it doesn't have to be a 1:1 match.

Offline DragonsLover

• Squaddie
  • Mrawr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 08:30:40 am »
Well, good news! The French Canadian language is completed. I haven't tested every single string, but I'd say that 99% have been checked by myself and should be fine. So, yay! ;D