Author Topic: Medikits being able to restore HP without fatal wounds?  (Read 5992 times)

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Medikits being able to restore HP without fatal wounds?
« on: April 25, 2015, 09:37:19 pm »
Heya. Have not had a situation yet where a soldier has lived a shot yet. I remember in Vanilla a medkit could ONLY heal HP if the soldier was suffering from a fatal wound. I have no clue if it's been tweaked already (I didn't see it listed in the openXcom vs vanilla differences wiki page) so I figured I'll ask. Is it planned or in the pipeline or no? I always get a bit miffed when I have a soldier wounded that cannot actually be healed through the medikit who now has to spend many days in the infirmary. Or does recovery-time factor in the lowest hp you sank to during a mission rather than existing HP (similar to X-com'12) at mission's conclusion?

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Medikits being able to restore HP without fatal wounds?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 09:52:19 pm »
Don't expect such changes in Openxcom itself, because there is simply not one common "rule" that would fit every player's (or modder's) preference.
AFAIK, the recovery time counts the HP in final round, so if you're lucky enough to quickly heal a soldier who had several fatal wounds but little HP lost, the hospital time can be greatly reduced.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 09:59:05 pm »
Sure sure np I know that some things will never make it while others *might* slide in as an option under advanced or as a mod.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 10:07:04 pm »
Don't expect such changes in Openxcom itself, because there is simply not one common "rule" that would fit every player's (or modder's) preference.
AFAIK, the recovery time counts the HP in final round, so if you're lucky enough to quickly heal a soldier who had several fatal wounds but little HP lost, the hospital time can be greatly reduced.

Actually its a rule of the game itself not to heal more hp, than the hp you get back by healing the wound. That was intended, you save the soldier using whatever tech the medkit is supposed to be from bleeding to death, but full recuperation requires time in the sick bay dependent on the wounds.
The point that this is working as intended can be traced to the fact all three of the X-Coms (UFO,TFTD,Apocalypse) used exactly the same principle.

So I can be 100% sure to say that this wont be changed in the open version. A mod however can be made at anytime :)

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 10:32:57 pm »
Alright then if it's a core mechanic than and specifically WAI then I'll just grin and bear it.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 10:44:52 pm »
Alright then if it's a core mechanic than and specifically WAI then I'll just grin and bear it.

I am sure somebody can and will mod it, since it is a suggestion. I would build it for you myself if I knew how to mod :D

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 11:25:54 pm »
The game mechanic requires a fatal wound to do healing. Healing specifically removes one fatal wound and also gives back a number of HP, which you can set using mods. There are several mods that introduce different healing items, that heal from 0 HP (so just removes fatal wounds to stop bleeding) to lots of HP.

In theory, you can create a medikit that restores 200 HP per fatal wound and that would be similar to healing not requiring fatal wounds. It wouldn't allow quite the same gameplay (you heal all in one go instead of by repeatedly allying small heals) but it would allow you to heal up a soldier.

That's kinda weird though. A field medic can bring you back to shape mid-battle over what is at most a few hours for the whole battle, but if you are wounded when you get back at the base it takes 3 weeks to heal up? I think the current system which forces some recovery time makes more sense, albeit with a place for improved medikits that heal more HP per fatal wound (at the cost of research, manufacturing materials and/or TUs).

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 01:12:16 pm »
With the OpenXcom Extended exe you can add weapons (medi-gas etc) that ADD health/tu/etc.

Offline KiethSomataw99

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 09:18:58 am »
One thing that Medkits could use is boost: which provides the target temporary hit points up to the maximum which last until the battle is over. Partial statistical loss is recovered as well. Of course, this does not affect the time needed to recover from wounds.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 03:24:37 pm »
One thing that Medkits could use is boost: which provides the target temporary hit points up to the maximum which last until the battle is over. Partial statistical loss is recovered as well. Of course, this does not affect the time needed to recover from wounds.

Do you want more tediousness in the game? Because that's how you get more tediousness in the game.

Essentially, this would be an incentive to finding a safe spot and only getting into action after the boost is administered to every single soldier. Every mission.

Sure, you don't have to do that, but let's face it, either you do it or you're lazy. That's not how game design should be.