Author Topic: OpenXcom 1.0 on Linux: Can play only ADLIB sound files [SOLVED]  (Read 6679 times)

Offline Entity5636

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Hi there.
Everything else works perfectly but sound. I cannot get to work MIDI or OGG sound files even when I set it up in the options to prefer them. It still plays the old ADLIB. So I tried to remove the ADLIB .CAT files entirely from the SOUND folder and leave there only the MIDI and OGG files..then OpenXcom will not lauch and tells me there is SAMPLE.CAT is missing..WTF!? OpenXcom should be able to use them. I use ZorinOS as my OS on an Acer TravelMate 113B netbook.  :-[
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:02:44 pm by Durabys »

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom 1.0 on Linux: Can play only ADLIB sound files.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 09:37:09 am »
just to check, do you have a midi server running that openxcom (well, SDL) can connect to?  Timidity++ with a nice soundfont loaded usually does the trick.

Offline Entity5636

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 01:13:40 pm »
just to check, do you have a midi server running that openxcom (well, SDL) can connect to?  Timidity++ with a nice soundfont loaded usually does the trick.
Okay. Now MIDI finally works..but OGG format, in which is the HD soundtrack from Cydonia's Fall, will still not work.  :'(

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 01:21:28 am »
libVorbis?

Offline Entity5636

• Squaddie
    • View Profile

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 02:33:59 pm »
idk, i'm no linux tech, but apparently sdl supports ogg playback through libVorbis. try updating to the latest git revision of openxcom and see if that sorts it out? maybe some of the linux guys would care to weigh in?

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 03:24:27 pm »
yeah, you have to ensure libvorbis is installed. I have version 1.3.4 (on Gentoo Linux).  You also need libogg, but libvorbis depends on libogg, so if you install one, your package manager will pull in the other as well.  You also have to ensure that SDL is compiled with ogg/vorbis support (not sure how ZorinOS works, but it's the "vorbis" USE flag in Gentoo).

Offline Entity5636

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 06:12:12 pm »
idk, i'm no linux tech, but apparently sdl supports ogg playback through libVorbis. try updating to the latest git revision of openxcom and see if that sorts it out? maybe some of the linux guys would care to weigh in?
yeah, you have to ensure libvorbis is installed. I have version 1.3.4 (on Gentoo Linux).  You also need libogg, but libvorbis depends on libogg, so if you install one, your package manager will pull in the other as well.  You also have to ensure that SDL is compiled with ogg/vorbis support (not sure how ZorinOS works, but it's the "vorbis" USE flag in Gentoo).
The issue at hand is that I HAVE and HAD libVorbis since beginning of the ZorinOS installation..and haven't helped me. Btw, I think Nightlies cannot work on Linux, only on Windows and Mac.

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 07:21:18 pm »
Btw, I think Nightlies cannot work on Linux
if your library setup is significantly different from the build system, that could be true.  Have you tried compiling it yourself?  Instructions here

Offline Entity5636

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 03:37:22 pm »
if your library setup is significantly different from the build system, that could be true.  Have you tried compiling it yourself?  Instructions here
Can you or someone else at least tell me that the Cydonia's Fall .ogg soundtrack pack works on Ubuntu 14.04.1 or other Linux's please?

Offline AndO3131

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 06:16:39 pm »
I'm currently on Ubuntu 14.04 and I confirm this Cydonia's Fall .ogg soundtrack works. I unpacked it to SOUND subfolder, renamed all filenames to uppercase, and selected ogg in the 'Audio' options screen, although i must say i compiled Openxcom sources myself. I have package libvorbis-dev installed, although i think libvorbis0a could be enough.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 06:18:36 pm by AndO3131 »

Offline Entity5636

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 07:00:32 pm »
I'm currently on Ubuntu 14.04 and I confirm this Cydonia's Fall .ogg soundtrack works. I unpacked it to SOUND subfolder, renamed all filenames to uppercase, and selected ogg in the 'Audio' options screen, although i must say i compiled Openxcom sources myself. I have package libvorbis-dev installed, although i think libvorbis0a could be enough.
IT WORKS!!! This finally got it to work! You just won an internet from me.

For added emphasis:
-renamed all .ogg filenames to uppercase
-package libvorbis-dev

+1 Internet to AndO3131