Author Topic: Any word on openTFTD's progress?  (Read 44506 times)

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Any word on openTFTD's progress?
« on: April 18, 2015, 09:49:16 pm »
Heya all. Loving the OpenXcom project. The mods and options are loads of fun to an already fun game. Even purist vanilla mode with bugs fixed is still incredibly fun. I saw an old thread from 2014 about openTFTD 1.0 but I was warned the thread had been dead for a long time and long story short I did not want to necro a dead thread. That being said, is openTFTD still in development? I'm eager to play through it after I finish my rerun of the original UFO Defense. I'm hesitant though unless openTFTD is still years away.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: Any word on openTFTD's progress?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 09:55:24 pm »
Yes, it is in progress.  Its the current goal of development.  Steady progress is being made, but its not ready for testing yet.  There is no estimate of when it will be done at this time, but generally speaking, I believe the goal is this year. :)

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 10:14:01 pm »
Excellent news! I can find other stuff to keep me occupied until it's ready. Thanks for the prompt response too. If only customer service reps had the initiative this forum does.

Any general idea what kinds of bugs/fixes/tweaks might be included? I'd just love to see Coelacanth's and torpedo launchers to be usable above water. I can't' but help that restriction was just designed to torture us, unless it applies to enemies as well.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 10:20:15 pm »
Excellent news! I can find other stuff to keep me occupied until it's ready. Thanks for the prompt response too. If only customer service reps had the initiative this forum does.

Any general idea what kinds of bugs/fixes/tweaks might be included? I'd just love to see Coelacanth's and torpedo launchers to be usable above water. I can't' but help that restriction was just designed to torture us, unless it applies to enemies as well.

I'm pretty sure that they will make it as close to vanilla as possible, minus obvious things like bugged research.  With the new engine however, I believe that it will be easy to mod the usability of weapons so that they wouldn't be restricted to solely one environment (ie Surface vs Underwater). 

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 11:38:13 pm »
Oh yuck I can well imagine how aggravating bugged research must have been. I also get why they made torpedoes unusable above water, since not all underwater munitions function out of water. However, if we know it's a terror mission above the surface of the water, why don't we have more conventional RPG weaponry? I get that the Coelacanth's weaponry is too different to be modified on the fly, but there's no reason why an Aquanaut can't simply grab an old rocket launcher.

I also had a gripe that naval base terror missions featured unarmed sailors. FFS it's a naval base don't they have guns too? I know they didn't want to make it easy on us but I would have loved to see something like the sailors fight back even if they were just using pistols. Look at how Apocalypse gave us Megapol, or the Enemy Within DLC added Security Personnel, or Xenonauts added in friendly NPC allies like local police and military forces. I wonder if it was just a limitation to the engine at the time?

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm just bitching here I love the X-com series but those gripes have always stuck with me.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 12:24:23 am »
it was a limitation of the engine at the time. it was severely limited in the number of items it would allow in any given battlescape (80 per side). this limit was never implemented in openxcom, so you will see literally every equippable item in your base during the initial equip screen.

as for a progress report... we're getting there.
the main hurdles at this stage are:
resource management
metadata for mods
mission scripting
depth/altitude for geoscape
the research table
and a host of other little things too boring to mention.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 03:43:11 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline Mackus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 08:33:54 pm »
I am sure people would not ask as often if they got some screenshots or/and gameplay videos once on a while ;)

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
  • Emissary of the Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 11:24:36 pm »
you can see progress notes on development changes under Downloads>Nightlies on the openxcom website https://openxcom.org/git-builds/ or you can look at the same stuff on GitHub where they keep all the programming https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/commits/master. Although the git-build downloads only work with x-com, the change notes commonly specify TFTD.

Most of the rest is probably for TFTD also. For example these are the notes for the latest nightly auto-build:
Warboy1982, Mon Apr 27 12:56:24 2015
correct constness

Warboy1982, Sun Apr 26 07:06:44 2015
add horizontal drift to particles

Warboy1982, Sat Apr 25 18:51:36 2015
fix notation for depth ranges on terrain/deployments

Warboy1982, Sat Apr 25 18:49:33 2015
add unseeded function to RNG

for specific use only.

Warboy1982, Sat Apr 25 18:48:10 2015
add func to pick random mission region

Warboy1982, Sat Apr 25 16:03:42 2015
randomize deployment type for missionSites

also refactor mission site code into a function

Horizontal drift in particles is probably TFTD underwater smoke, "depth ranges" is obviously TFTD, and I think TFTD randomized the USOs sent on an alien missions, the rest is just regular programming stuff. So Warboy was working on TFTD over the weekend.

As always, thanks for your hard work Warboy!

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 03:00:53 am »

As always, thanks for your hard work Warboy!

+1 that, and thanks to all the devs for making this awesome game... and I haven't even played TFTD :)

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 09:03:36 am »
Seriously I had a friend who was practically in tears because he had always dreamed of a fixed or more user-friendly version of X-com, or even a version that WORKS on modern systems. Thanks so much. I just wish I knew how to program, to try to help out in some way.

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 03:56:36 pm »
Seriously I had a friend who was practically in tears because he had always dreamed of a fixed or more user-friendly version of X-com, or even a version that WORKS on modern systems. Thanks so much. I just wish I knew how to program, to try to help out in some way.

Modding is easy does not require much prior knowledge, and modders are always looking for help with testing, art, lore, feedback, etc. Feel free to help out in the ways you are able!

Offline Mackus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 08:48:06 pm »
you can see progress notes on development changes under Downloads>Nightlies[...]

Yeah. I got that page bookmarked :D

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 03:26:08 pm »
It probably means nothing, but it has been 11 months since 1.0 was first released.  So y'know, there's a chance that in June... maybe?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 03:39:57 pm »
It probably means nothing, but it has been 11 months since 1.0 was first released.  So y'know, there's a chance that in June... maybe?

I'd guess that with the amount of work still to be done, it might be a bit further off than that, though I may be wrong.

Offline CthuluIsSpy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 08:39:06 pm »
Will OpenTFTD implement changes from TFTDExtender?
As in, will gauss coelcanths be usable?