Author Topic: Installing from the collector's edition?  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Installing from the collector's edition?
« on: April 16, 2015, 02:46:57 am »
Heya all. I have the collector's edition of all 3 of the original X-coms. Unfortunately though there are not the whole bevy of sub-folders like the originals had. I just have 2 sub-folders of SOUND and MISDATA. I assume MISDATA is miscellaneous data. I can see a crap-load of .DAT files inside. I assume this was done to condense folder clutter. Unfortunately in this case it appears I must sift through these files. However, I don't know which data belongs to which sub-folder. I tried using the Windows Installer and it was not able to detect the files properly. Would anyone be willing to help me with the arduous task of sorting out which folders openXcom looks for and which DAT files need to be in each?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Installing from the collector's edition?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 03:48:05 am »
sounds to me like some kind of compressed installer. try running the installer under dosbox and it should extract and rename everything for you (you may have to install windows 3.1 on your dosbox first).

failing that, you can pick it up for cheap on steam, and even further beyond that, i think it's legal for you to download if you already own a physical copy. (don't quote me on this, i'm not a lawyer) don't be too surprised if the data has been tampered with, however. xcomutil is everywhere. also make sure that you apply the 1.4 patch if it doesn't already have it.

personally i recommend steam if you can't manage to get the data from your copy, as it is pre-patched to 1.4, and 0% modified.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:55:09 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 05:31:51 am »
Ah yes that fixed it. I went back to the disc itself and rooted out the files I needed. I had some sort of custom-made batch file that started the game. Once I manually sifted through my disc I found the files I was looking for and got it running. Got chills :)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 04:26:19 pm »
While you still have a clean install, I suggest you make a zip of those files and store it somewhere. This will come handy if you want to re-install openxcom later, or revert changes of a mod that modifies maps/ufos.