aliens

Author Topic: Let's Play PirateZ! (0.9j) Finished:Incomplete (52 episodes)  (Read 130540 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play PirateZ! (0.9a) Now Playing!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 10:31:55 am »
Man, it's probably the best let's play I've ever seen. :) I like your style.

Could you share some specifics/details about what you like... give others an opportunity to improve/take inspiration from Incredible Ivan? ;-)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 11:30:56 am »
Could you share some specifics/details about what you like... give others an opportunity to improve/take inspiration from Incredible Ivan? ;-)

It's not boring, it's well narrated, it's just entertaining. Can't really find better words.

Damn, I knew it'd be awkward. :P Of course it doesn't mean that your LP is bad, or anyone else's! I just think Ivan's work is the most professional.

Offline NeptunesNookGames

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 11:41:28 am »
I just think Ivan's work is the most professional.

This is why I enjoy his videos so much, you can tell he puts a ton of work into them and does a great job of making every episode entertaining.  (I hope we're not giving him too big of an ego  :P  )

And again, no offense to anyone elses LP's, this is just what stands out with Ivan's videos to me.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 12:06:39 pm »
Thanks guys. It's definitely not awkward or offensive... I watch Ivan since the very beginning (I knew him even before he started making videos from a different community). We grew together (on YT) and helped each other a lot. I was just wondering if it's something specific or his overall performance... and it's confirmed now... it's how everything fits so well together! It will be a sad day when he'll leave the scene.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2015, 01:44:48 pm »
I'll chime in as well.

First, I agree what's been said so far about Ivan's LP style.

Also, he doesn't take him self so "seriously" and has a sense of humor about himself that adds to the entertainment value.  He also a knack for funny phrases, and I like how he talks to his on screen characters like they're real people.  Of course, I've mentioned before, that his post production for music, audio quality, and putting the pieces together is top notch.

EDIT:  Probably should mention, Meridian - I thoroughly enjoy your OXC LP's as well.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:14:20 pm by jgatkinsn »

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
  • 100% Un-Professional XCOM Lets Player
    • View Profile
    • FINAL MOD PACK LP OUT SOON NOW RECRUITING! SIGN UP TODAY!
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2015, 08:24:03 pm »
 :'(

Na JK. I am lazy. I do no editing and record my videos with a crappy free player called Microsoft Screen Capture 4. Its old, it problably gets 15 FPS. The encoder/editor is garbage. One of these days I should upgrade to bandit or something... learn video editing. You know those cool things that people doing videos already know.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:25:59 pm by Jstank »

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2015, 08:36:06 pm »
:'(

Sheesh, can't give anyone praise without offending someone :)  Yours have been great too.  If there is one constructive criticism I would have to give is that your voice is still a little "muffled" in the output.  The game sound affects tend to be louder than you, so when I crank up the volume to hear you, I get blasted by guns and dying aliens in my earbones :)  I really am enjoying all the LP's.  It's also quite fascinating to see the different tactic styles.  I think Meridian is ruining me when I watch other people, because I cringe when I see someone "doing it wrong" tactics-wise whatever that means!

Okay.. enough threadjacking :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2015, 08:36:20 pm »

One thing I've noticed with Ivan is the tone and rhythm of his voice, which can be quite varied. I used to work in giving presentations and one thing we're trained to do would be vary your voice when presenting a topic: nothing bores more someone who is listening by talking in the same tone. One should laugh, make weird noises, switch between a high and low tone, etc.

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2015, 09:28:44 pm »
Thanks for being a critic JG. I will most certainly play with my volume sliders and get it right! 8)

Also Ivan does a good pirate voice. I would love for the accent to carry through the whole episode! (at least for one episode)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 04:10:12 pm »
Thanks all for the feedback and discussion!  I love the thread jack! ;)

I do feel like the discussion is a productive one, and its helpful for those of us that do LPs. :)   There are certainly ways we can all improve.

@JG. I agree. Meridian has "ruined" me too.  His play is so good, I'm often thinking "doh! Meridian wouldn't have done that!"  ... Though he has taught me a ton and greatly improved my own play, I have quickly come to the conclusion that he is an ideal that I can only strive to attain.  I also realize that I'm guaranteed enough "Ivan Moments" that I'll have things to laugh about. ;)   When it comes to watching others like Necroscope and BattleBunny who have a much more casual approach and favor uniform weapons on the squads and zerg rush tactics, I have to reset my mentallity to not expect perfect play like Meridian's  ;) 

Hm.. some scattered LP thoughts and philosophy. 
-Before I ever considered doing LPs I did some analysis on what I find appealing in watch LPs.  Quill18 is a perfect example, and I have been a huge fan of his for years.  I think what I love most about quill (aside from the fact that he plays strategy games in genres I really enjoy) is his enthusiasm.  He really enjoys what he is doing and it comes across.  That is my fundamental rule for LPs.  Play something you Like, and have Fun with it!  Your fun will be contagious, and your audience will have fun too!
- "Make the best product you can" - my friend Rendog, gives this advice regularly.  Audio cleanup was probably the biggest jump for me.  Baergo told my the background whine and hiss on my first Terror from the Deep vids was very distracting and to try Audacity for noise removal.  I checked yt vids on the subject and figured out how to separate my vocal track.  I clean it and sweeten it (EG settings to boost the bass a bit) for every vid.  I also started mixing all the background music in those series.  Its very time consuming, but I loved the result.  During playback, I'd often raise the volume in spots just to hear the music behind my commentary. ;)  Its also a tricky balance to keep the music down enough so its not distracting and the commentary needs center stage any way.  Thumbnails are important too, as they brand your series and show  you are series about making a decent product.
- Stock intros and Outros.  Viewers come to expect them and our sub concious brain automatically synchs up with them when we start to watch.  It also gives viewers a chance to adjust volume, screen size etc.
- Beg borrow and steal! If  you see something you like in another LP, try it out in yours.  I loved the way Meridian would talk to his soldiers "Ravski?  Can you come help us over here?"  I hear his voice in my head when I type that. :)  I started doing that in my TftD series after binging on his TftD series.  (Which is amazing BTW. Well worth the watch if you haven't seen it already).
- Spread the love.  I like to give shoutouts to others I enjoy watching, and telling my viewers about other cool series, etc.   Of course viewers love shoutouts too, so that is really cool if you can incorporate that in.

Anyway. Enough Jibber Jabber!   Episode three will be out in about 1.5 hours. I'll have one M, W, F.  I'm itching to get to episode Seven (I've recorded up to 6) but I have a heavy school load this week, so I'm trying to stave it off. ;)

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 04:41:03 pm »
- About the soundtrack - I'm not sure the original music sits well with the mod (haven't noticed this since after hundreds of hours playing XCOM I'm always playing with the music turned off)... maybe you could play a custom one in the background? Could be as simple as using Deus Ex music, or even UFO Playstation music mods available on this site... It's always, like, you know: ugh, Ivan's awesome into music is over, now we get to same old boring vanilla XCom soundtrack :)

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 06:06:32 pm »
Annnd the Super Friends!

Did I miss anyone?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 07:12:32 pm »
- About the soundtrack - I'm not sure the original music sits well with the mod (haven't noticed this since after hundreds of hours playing XCOM I'm always playing with the music turned off)... maybe you could play a custom one in the background? Could be as simple as using Deus Ex music, or even UFO Playstation music mods available on this site... It's always, like, you know: ugh, Ivan's awesome into music is over, now we get to same old boring vanilla XCom soundtrack :)

Yeah... the biggest issue with Background music is digital rights and claims against music in LPs that can cause your vid to be pulled from YT.  :(  soo... unless I knew that the music (ie Deus Ex, which I've never played btw) was basically free for open use, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable using it.  In  episodes 5&6 I switch it up to the MT32 Roland version of the original which is surprisingly more rich.   I'm not above trying out the PSX version either, as I have never heard it, nor beyond using Cydonia's Fall.   I'd love feed back for those. :)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom PirateZ! Ep #003: Crackin Heads!!
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 07:15:12 pm »
Let's Play OpenXcom PirateZ! Ep #003: Crackin Heads!!

Pipe to the Cranium Therapy!

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 08:50:23 pm »
Annnd the Super Friends!

Did I miss anyone?