Author Topic: Define the kind of Music that plays in each menu?  (Read 4246 times)

Offline Liquid Snake

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Define the kind of Music that plays in each menu?
« on: March 18, 2015, 03:09:27 pm »
I'm trying to add/change music, so that it does not replace the current music in the SOUND directory, but I ran into a problem. I cannot change specific music without replacing it, which I don't want to do. The game crashes if I delete GMSTORY from the ruleset, which I figured was hardcoded.

What I want is to define what music will play in the rulesets, instead of it being hardcoded. Is it possible to add this kind of thing into OXC?

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
Re: Define the kind of Music that plays in each menu?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 03:21:10 pm »
Not yet.

x60mmx

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 11:30:32 pm »
Having music change between menus and stuff is jarring to players.  Music is supposed to add atmosphere and background, not really supposed to switch up on you when not expected.  Especially for something like menus where you won't spend much time.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 11:33:32 pm »
Still, it'd be nice to have various musical themes for different terrains (not my idea, but I forgot who the original author was).

x60mmx

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 11:45:56 pm »
That could be cool, assuming the music was up to par with the quality of the original compositions and also fit with the style.

Offline Liquid Snake

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 11:42:05 pm »
Having music change between menus and stuff is jarring to players.  Music is supposed to add atmosphere and background, not really supposed to switch up on you when not expected.  Especially for something like menus where you won't spend much time.
I should of been more clearer. That's what I get for rushing to post my suggestion before I left.  ::) What I wanted was to define what music plays in the main menu, Geoscape, UFO interception, and what tactical music plays on certain missions. I can change the briefing music though.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 01:46:13 pm »
i'm pretty sure missions/maps/alien deployment can have custom music

but menu music can't be changed

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 07:39:30 pm »
I should of been more clearer. That's what I get for rushing to post my suggestion before I left.  ::) What I wanted was to define what music plays in the main menu, Geoscape, UFO interception, and what tactical music plays on certain missions. I can change the briefing music though.

You can define the music that plays in the main menu (GMSTORY), define Geoscape tracks (up to 99 of them), UFO interceptions, and Tactical tracks, but not what plays on which mission.  It will randomly chose from the files given for Geoscape, Tactical, and Interception tracks. 

You do, however, have to rename your files and or overwrite the originals to make this happen.

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Audio_Options_(OpenXcom)#Custom_Music

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 02:29:56 am »
actually, you can totally define what plays in which mission, either by deployment or terrain.