aliens

Author Topic: TFTD Draft Publishing Plan  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
TFTD Draft Publishing Plan
« on: March 12, 2015, 08:05:29 pm »
I just came up upon this file on Strategycore.co.uk. It details the early conception of TFTD, which sounds a lot better actually than the final product. T'Leth was actually going to have 6 separate stages and you'd need to raid 4 Artifact Sites before you could develop Mollecular Control tech.

Here's the link: https://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/tftd-draft-publishing-plan/

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: TFTD Draft Publishing Plan
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 08:44:48 pm »
Lots of interesting info in this! The Triscene was intended to be a manta ray and stun its victims with an electrical discharge. MC was supposed to be used by the aliens to create water elementals, which XCom could try to take control of. No psionics otherwise!

Fun fact: They also considered doing a wild-west shoot out game! :D

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 09:17:28 pm »
fun fact: They also considered doing a wild-west shoot out game! :D

Is that on the draft?

There are some parts bordering on the absurd/hilarious:

"There will be one worldwide title: X-COM: Terror From The Deep. It had originally been thought that there would be two titles: the above in the US and X-COM: Terror from the Deep in Europe" WTF? What's the difference between the 2 titles?

"The new UFOPedia is more structured and features a clearer and more concise database" - if you ignore that some pics (like Deep Ones carrying DPLs) are completely incorrect and the info for some aliens is almost useless.

Lobstermen would be invisible (yikes!)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 09:25:16 pm »
Yeah, it's in the FAQ thing about "How was the deep-sea concept chosen for Terror" They had 30 concepts of what to do with the XCom:EU engine, including TftD, and named the western one as an example of other projects.

Apparently, for them, having "Terror From the Deep" and "Terror from the Deep" means having two titles? Honestly, I prefer the one which has lowercase for both "from" and "the", why does from need to be capitalized? And they can't seem to chose which title to use through the document any ways, there are almost as many "from" as "From"...

I missed the invisible Lobster Men. "Invisible and virtually invulnerable" that sounds like a plan for an alien..! Maybe invisible comes from hiding in closets? ;)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 09:32:39 pm »
Yeah, it's in the FAQ thing about "How was the deep-sea concept chosen for Terror" They had 30 concepts of what to do with the XCom:EU engine, including TftD, and named the western one as an example of other projects.

Yeah, got it. I have a suspicion that is was the beginning of the process which lead to those great X-COM titles named Interceptor and Enforcer...

I missed the invisible Lobster Men. "Invisible and virtually invulnerable" that sounds like a plan for an alien..! Maybe invisible comes from hiding in closets? ;)

LOL :D

Just noticed a mention to an "X-COM Bible" - this is something I'd love to see.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 02:37:48 am »
lobsterman was supposed to be invisible

edit: i'm actually working on an invisible alien race called stalker so is not far from original game intentions
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 02:43:38 am by tollworkout »

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 07:42:09 pm »

I am pretty sure it was meant to be invinsible as in indistructible.

What I found hilarius in this was their pricing policy: "Second the title is really more of the same and other than graphics changes there is little justifying the price above that of Enemy unknown"

Tell about some honesty here :D

EDIT: Awwwww. The porting referencing Amiga, just brought a tear in my eye  :'(

EDIT2: And those References to Dune2, C&C and The Dig....Half my childhood is in there...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 07:53:39 pm by pilot00 »