aliens

Author Topic: Flanking gameplay mechanic  (Read 23765 times)

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
  • 100% Un-Professional XCOM Lets Player
    • View Profile
    • FINAL MOD PACK LP OUT SOON NOW RECRUITING! SIGN UP TODAY!
Re: Flanking gameplay mechanic
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 07:28:23 pm »
How about flanking shots do morale damage regardless of weather they hit or not?

Kind of like in UFO 2000 when shots fired around a soldier does morale damage.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 07:30:41 pm »
How about flanking shots do morale damage regardless of weather they hit or not?

Kind of like in UFO 2000 when shots fired around a soldier does morale damage.

That's way too simplistic. It'd require some Xenonauts-style suppression mechanics.

x60mmx

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 08:09:04 pm »
Totally unnecessary in X-Com, as others have pointed out there is rear/side armor and the fact that they can't see/shoot you.  Flanking worked the way it did in Mass EffeXcom because the combat was very simplistic and lined the opposing sides up like football teams.  Without their flanking system, it would be pretty blatant how 2d the combat really was.

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 08:20:47 pm »
In the new one, there is no Alien Morale. This is a shame as they don't panic berserk or anything. Stupid really  :'(

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2015, 03:45:16 pm »
Totally unnecessary in X-Com, as others have pointed out there is rear/side armor and the fact that they can't see/shoot you.  Flanking worked the way it did in Mass EffeXcom because the combat was very simplistic and lined the opposing sides up like football teams.  Without their flanking system, it would be pretty blatant how 2d the combat really was.

Ah mass effect...What a great game it would have been IF they would put some more work hours into it...Reminds me of Apocalypse in so many ways.

In the new one, there is no Alien Morale. This is a shame as they don't panic berserk or anything. Stupid really  :'(

Been several months since I last played but I think they do get panicked.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 03:47:06 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2015, 12:09:02 am »
I'm going through the android version of XCom 2012 and I can definitely say that they panic. You can hear your soldiers say something like "Enemy is retreating" when it happens. They don't shoot around or drop their weapons like in the old XCom, but they fall back instead of engaging.

Panicking aliens dropping their weapons and becoming useless, or worse firing their explosive weapon up close and getting hit by the blast, is a pretty bad mechanic of the old XCom.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2015, 12:56:00 am »
i think the desktop version doesn't do that. the feature is probably there but is so rare than in all my years of playing i have never experienced happening it naturally not ever once. i can only make them panic by using psi or flamethrower. in fact even at 1 hp with everyone else dead they simply retreat and go in overwatch mode and keep their cool. in the mobile version they probably tweak that feature making it more common.

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2015, 06:21:01 am »
I'm going through the android version of XCom 2012 and I can definitely say that they panic. You can hear your soldiers say something like "Enemy is retreating" when it happens. They don't shoot around or drop their weapons like in the old XCom, but they fall back instead of engaging.

Panicking aliens dropping their weapons and becoming useless, or worse firing their explosive weapon up close and getting hit by the blast, is a pretty bad mechanic of the old XCom.

I don't think a mechanic is bad when it is so satisfying. And the fact that it can happen to you is even better. With the EU thing. I don't believe that YOUR troops panic at any point. Is there a morale system that is visible from your end. I don't know I haven't played it too much.

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 11:39:58 am »
Actually, the Troops do panic in NuXcom, to such an extent that getting even one soldier killed can set off a panic/berserk chain reaction that will kill the rest of the squad on the very same turn (or at least in the early versions) as spoofed in the Nerf Now! strip below.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:44:52 am by shinr »

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 03:16:49 pm »
Ah man you got me all excited that there was a euxcom mod called nuxcom. I went on a wild internet goose chase just now.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2015, 02:58:12 am »
Ah man you got me all excited that there was a euxcom mod called nuxcom. I went on a wild internet goose chase just now.

LOL me too..hahahaha ...i actually read your post and noticed EUXCOM and NUXCOM and i went searching for it hahahah...even tho I DID read your post saying you went on a wild goose chase i did it too anyway  . WOW

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2015, 09:51:50 pm »
I can definitely say that aliens in X-com'12 do panic from dead alien buddies it's just obliquely mentioned. Coders have found that the aliens panic and your cue is your soldiers' announcing it. What was SUPPOSED to happen next was the Aliens would use Hunker Down. However the AI is bugged and won't. Instead they just end their turn without doing anything. https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/975377-r-d-tactical-bug-hunts-suppression-and-alien-skipping-turn/

Unfortunately though, they do not have the same exact mechanics of firing at random like us hu-nams.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2015, 11:32:26 pm »
On the android version they move back a little bit and indeed your soldiers announce it. I don't think they hunker down (the only time I saw an alien hunker down was when being suppressed), but maybe they go on overwatch. It's awfully annoying when they retreat and engage 1-2 more alien pods too.

Your soldiers can also panic. It never happened to the soldiers I started with (they gained willpower faster than the aliens could scare them with), but I once brought a bunch of rookies to a mission with mutons and yup, panic ensued (mutons also have an ability that causes panic in low willed soldiers).

The best was my heavy squaddie who unloaded his whole machine gun point blank into a muton berserker after panicking from being approached, managing to kill it before it struck. Close combat isn't very scary when you only get 2 action points. As long as you are just far enough, the enemy just plants itself next to you and you can shoot them with 100% accuracy next turn.

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2015, 11:55:30 pm »
I used to play a reaction-heavy game in original Xcom (back when it still set the difficulty to novice). I usually kept overlapping fields of fire with plenty of action points to spare, and for some reason it scared enemy melee units so much that they wouldn't approach very closely.
They'd head towards one of my soldiers, but before reaching it they'd be within four or five troopers' line of sight, all of whom ready to reaction fire, and they'd run away again. It was a little confusing.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 08:04:57 am by mrxian »

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2015, 12:21:14 am »
Just as in flanking in military shooters, you don't get an accuracy bonus, you just get a better shot at the enemy AR from another angle. Very interesting idea though.