aliens

Author Topic: tuUse or tuPrime for grenades  (Read 5305 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
tuUse or tuPrime for grenades
« on: February 25, 2015, 05:59:24 pm »
It would be interesting to have varying priming costs for different types of grenades.

Priming a good ol' grenade could be faster than a high explosive: Pull the pin versus setting up the digital detonator. It would also allow more customization of modded explosives.

Being able to use "flatRate: true" for priming explosives would also be convenient. Makes a veteran faster at priming complicated explosives than a newbie.

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: tuUse or tuPrime for grenades
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:03:34 pm »
Was thinking of something else that would require messing with grenade priming: Flares, since the AI doesn't react to light this would only be useful as a tier -1 version of the electro-flare(providing an opportunity for a research requirement for the electro-flare).  My thought is you set the timer, perhaps with a reducing the max you can set it to, and it functions same as an electro-flare until the timer runs out at which point it goes dark. It would require the flare to be tagged as used/not recoverable once primed too.

Alternately I was thinking this might be possible to add using the same functionality as the ink-smoke bomb from TFTD, prime as normal then once it goes off it produces light for a few turns the same way the ink-bombs produce smoke for a few turns.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 10:10:04 pm »
@NoelBuddy:  What would be the point in timed lights?  Illumination has no effect on the aliens, so this would only be a nuisance for the player.

Offline jackstraw2323

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 11:27:35 pm »
Timed lights from a gaming perspective could be interesting. They would force the player to decide between cautiously advancing or popping a new flare and wasting TU that could be reserved for firing. Or if you forget your timing you could lose LOS when your flare runs out at the wrong moment.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 08:06:25 pm »
nah priming flares is not necessary  . flares are also recoverable and re-usable between missions .

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 09:27:05 pm »
Arthanor you can test it in my extended version, I even could add option for flat prime cost in next version.

Offline jackstraw2323

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 09:29:24 pm »
Well yes classically that's how they work, but some modders see value in making them consumable or changing time requirements to provide alternative strategic elements in mode.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 11:28:34 pm »
Arthanor you can test it in my extended version, I even could add option for flat prime cost in next version.
You already have it implemented? I just looked at your git repo, I will try to compile it this weekend. I've been putting off doing that for too long!

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 12:48:47 am »
Yes, it is.

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 08:57:43 pm »
@NoelBuddy:  What would be the point in timed lights?  Illumination has no effect on the aliens, so this would only be a nuisance for the player.

It would be a tier -1 tech. You start with it available and add traditional electro-flares to the tech tree requiring research.  It was mostly something I've been thinking about for a prequel mod set in the early 20th century where flares would exist but not permanent ones, the ability to set it like priming a grenade was just me trying to think of the easiest way existing mechanics could be used to add it but having it run for a set number of turns like an ink bomb would make more sense now that TFTD mechanics are being worked on.

Well yes classically that's how they work, but some modders see value in making them consumable or changing time requirements to provide alternative strategic elements in mode.

Exactly.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:00:30 pm by NoelBuddy »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 11:54:53 pm »
You already have it implemented? I just looked at your git repo, I will try to compile it this weekend. I've been putting off doing that for too long!
My recent build have all required functionality, `flatPrime: true` give you intended behavior.