aliens

Author Topic: Alternate movement Methods at its best  (Read 5913 times)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Alternate movement Methods at its best
« on: February 17, 2015, 10:11:16 pm »
I really like the feature of the alternate movement methods.
Strafing is good for surviving and running well look at the screenshot :D

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate movement Methods at its best
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 10:26:46 pm »
It heavily alters vanilla gameplay. Frankly, xcom becomes another game, more imbalanced (because AI can't use that, and hardly be able to). Obviously it's aimed for making player's life easier, deaths uncommon, and generally it's damn cheesy.

I wouldn't suggest adding this "feature" in first hand, if it's up to me. At least not in "advanced options" but for some total-conversion-mods only. Not to spoil vanilla.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 10:32:08 pm »
It heavily alters vanilla gameplay. Frankly, xcom becomes another game, more imbalanced (because AI can't use that, and hardly be able to). Obviously it's aimed for making player's life easier, deaths uncommon, and generally it's damn cheesy.

I wouldn't suggest adding this "feature" in first hand, if it's up to me. At least not in "advanced options" but for some total-conversion-mods only. Not to spoil vanilla.

I mainly use for quick position changes and as you can see in Screenshot the Soldier running this distance has full TU and full Stamina, after running this distance he will nearly have depleted his complete Stamina and my stay stationary for a turn. So yes it alter playing, and yes the AI can not use it, but the AI is also at another disadvantage because turning cost energy for them. (at least in the DOS Version)

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 10:58:44 pm »
How do you run anyway?

I figured out strafing. (Which isn't all that game-breaking, it's more of a quality-of-life thing.)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 11:03:45 pm »
Strafing allows you to alter the usual outcome of walking past a corner by looking to the side and triggering "mutual surprise" and giving you first shot instead of stepping blindly and allowing aliens to reaction fire. It's a rather huge change. But not one I would let go of.

Running is also by pressing CTRL while you click to move a unit, but you have to click more than one tile away. It will substract 3 TUs per tile instead of 4 on flat ground, but also take 3 stamina instead of 2. It's great for "run and reserve TUs for reaction fire" since you have more TUs for the same distance and probably don't use too much stamina any ways. It also allows to quickly reposition soldiers but they'll likely only be able to move a little bit afterwards, catching their breath (armors that enhance stamina can make this quite sustainable though).

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 08:37:02 am »
Wow, I didn't know you can run in this game. I  do know about strafing, though I don't use it either. Thanks for tip guys.