Author Topic: Oh Shit Moments - Why i love XCom :>  (Read 69293 times)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Re: Oh Shit Moments - Why i love XCom :>
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 02:11:14 pm »
Well maybe i will give it a try on me next run.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 03:57:52 pm »
@tollworkout: I'm pretty sure the stats are multiplicative not additive.. which would mean % to hit = firing accuracy * gun accuracy (-something for distance in accuracy extender).

Back to the general discussion, one interesting impact of the extender accuracy is that it makes it beneficial to shoot with the soldier closest to the alien for auto and snap shots. It is an incentive to get your scouts shooting instead of just walking around getting shot at. So they become better instead of stagnating and letting the super snipers get all the xp.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 04:13:08 pm »
Back to the general discussion, one interesting impact of the extender accuracy is that it makes it beneficial to shoot with the soldier closest to the alien for auto and snap shots. It is an incentive to get your scouts shooting instead of just walking around getting shot at. So they become better instead of stagnating and letting the super snipers get all the xp.

Which is kinda my Problem because i usually scout with tanks, and let all my Soldiers "snipe" the Alien until it is dead, i prefer snapshot for this. I also do not have designated Scouts and if there is a situation were a soldiers spots an alien when moving forward and noone else can take a shoot, he will step back out of sight, shoots the alien, depending on outcome he will be covered with smoke, or retreats behind cover.

So i mostly fire from out of the enemies visual sightrange, the UFO extender accuracy (as far as my understanding goes), would still allow this tactic but the probaility of hitting with snapshot would be highly decreased, using aimed shot would work, but the gained exp would be to low, so no go for me.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 04:34:31 pm »
Well, for many things, there is a finite amount of experience to be gained in a given mission. For a given set of weapons, there will only be a certain number of hits until the aliens are dead, which means there is a cap to how much firing accuracy XP you can get.

IF (and I don't think it works that way) you can get secondary XP from targeting an alien and missing, then that's an unlimited XP supply. But I would be very surprised. I am fairly certain that when shooting an alien in your turn, you need to hit it to get XP. Even though the chance to hit goes down, the total number of hits to kill the aliens remains similar, it will just take a little bit longer. So you get the same amount of XP.

Regarding reaction fire, the accuracy extender is actually a bonus XP wise. Reaction fire gives XP no matter if a shot hits or not. If a shot hits, the alien is closer to death and a dead alien is worth no XP. Accuracy extender makes snapshots less accurate past a certain distance, which will not reduce reaction XP (firing is what matters for reaction) but increase the survival chance of the alien (you're more likely to miss it). That means another soldier might react to the alien and also gain XP. Of course, however good it is for XP, missing aliens is bad for your health ;)

The only case where accuracy extender is bad for XP is IF missing on your turn when shooting gives XP and you argue that you will have to use aimed shots so you will overall miss less than using snap shots without. You could either not game the system, rise to the challenge and use snap shots within 15 tiles (where snap accuracy is the same), or keep using snap shots and miss a bit more (which would mean more XP IF you get XP from missing, which I doubt).

Overall, extender accuracy does make the game harder, but it also makes it much more interesting and makes it possible to differentiate weapons greatly. Snap shooting across the map as reliably with a pistol, machine gun and sniper rifle is ridiculous to me, accuracy extender allows me to represent that in game.

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 06:19:57 pm »
So i mostly fire from out of the enemies visual sightrange, the UFO extender accuracy (as far as my understanding goes), would still allow this tactic but the probaility of hitting with snapshot would be highly decreased, using aimed shot would work, but the gained exp would be to low, so no go for me.
The tactic still works. From what I've seen, auto shots get a penalty of 2% per square more than seven or so (Which is really close - it reduces auto shot to point blank only, basically), snap shots get a penalty of 2% per square at a little over sight range (so just out of sight, and snap shots work fine). Aimed shots have no limit.
You use aimed shots more than snap shots at longer ranges, and as it gets more important to hit more, you get to use snap shots more.

It doesn't matter for xp, though - the primary action needed to get accuracy xp is hitting the enemy - not shooting at it. So it's the amount of hits that counts, and that only changes as you start using stronger weapons.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 01:00:23 am »
I got scared today while locking at some base maps.

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 09:36:31 am »
The amount of active sectopods is too damn high!

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 10:13:05 am »
The amount of active sectopods is too damn high!

Nope its just that Terrorunitspawn is set 12 on Base Maps.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 06:16:16 pm »
Some more Oh shit moments.
Those Sectoids seem to wanna do a picnic in front of there UFO :>

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 12:07:03 am »
Who ordered Chryssalid Beef?

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2015, 01:10:11 am »
Might try this terror site once more but a case of biting more than u can chew comes into mind. At least if I do have to abort the negative scored will be minimised by me landing in the 1st place rather than ignoring the mission altogether.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2015, 07:57:08 pm »
How do you guys get pictures of the entire combat area? I had a landing side on a raider class ufo and the landing craft was surrounded by 5 sectopods.

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2015, 08:38:57 pm »
How do you guys get pictures of the entire combat area? I had a landing side on a raider class ufo and the landing craft was surrounded by 5 sectopods.

Options -> Video -> Battlescape Scale - Full display.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2015, 09:02:58 pm »
I use half display. full is a little bit to crazy.

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
  • 100% Un-Professional XCOM Lets Player
    • View Profile
    • FINAL MOD PACK LP OUT SOON NOW RECRUITING! SIGN UP TODAY!
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 01:59:38 pm »
2. with acc extender
AIM = soldier aim - 100 + weapon aim - (2 * distance from soldier to target)
ex soldier with 72 acc / weapon with 95% acc / target is 7 squares away : 72 - 100 + 95 - (2 x 7 )  = 5
Are those weapon specific or a general rule. Reason being I would like to somehow make the sniper rifle have a minimum effective range...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 02:01:38 pm by Jstank »