Author Topic: Oh Shit Moments - Why i love XCom :>  (Read 69316 times)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Oh Shit Moments - Why i love XCom :>
« on: February 15, 2015, 03:42:12 pm »
That's why i love Xcom!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: Oh Shit Moments - Why i love XCom :>
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 04:08:51 pm »
That's why i love Xcom!

Great screenshots.   :)

025 looks like a bad map spawn?  all those baddies clustered in one corner looks like that terrain may have some messed up spawn nodes.

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:47:42 pm »
Can we have some background story for the last picture? Seems they all fell asleep.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:12:25 pm »
Can we have some background story for the last picture? Seems they all fell asleep.

Well the endless stream of Snakeman who got reactionshotted in the face, wghile they tried to kill the tank :D
Thats the story.

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 10:17:47 pm »
The opening to this terror mission was one of my bigger 'oh shit' moments. But I got through it without losing everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV5JGM-LE-w

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 10:38:29 pm »
The opening to this terror mission was one of my bigger 'oh shit' moments. But I got through it without losing everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV5JGM-LE-w

What is so good on this UFO extender accuracy...??

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 11:05:48 pm »
It makes the game more challenging - to reliably hit at longer distances, you have to use the more tu-expensive shots. I've only just started using it, and while I like the idea, I think some of the ranges are a little too short. Auto-fire becomes almost useless. :(

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 11:00:04 am »

makes you accuracy depend on range. 

aimed however is not affected by this and always behaves like the original xcom giving a flat aim rate everywhere on the map.

makes the game more fair as enemies are affected by it as well.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 11:44:08 am »
makes you accuracy depend on range. 

aimed however is not affected by this and always behaves like the original xcom giving a flat aim rate everywhere on the map.

makes the game more fair as enemies are affected by it as well.

Which also means you can't perform as many primary actions as you normally would -> Soldiers lvl slower...
So nogo for me.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 12:01:52 pm »
Missing doesn't give experience. The reduced accuracy may make battles take a few more turns, but the total experience should be exactly the same.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 12:20:31 pm »
Missing doesn't give experience. The reduced accuracy may make battles take a few more turns, but the total experience should be exactly the same.

Shooting at an Enemy counts as an primary action, any performed primary action will increase secondary stats, like TU, Strength, Stamina, Health. In case you hit your target when you shoot it, you will get additional experience and your Accuracy will be increased. Reactionshots have only to be triggered to get you Reaction experience.

It is also know that, performing less then 3 Primary actions for a soldier in a mission will grant no improvement.
Minimal is 3 Primary actions (Shooting at enemy, Reactionshooting an enemy). 12 primary actions will give you the maximum experience a soldier will be rewarded per missions. This could lead to significant improvements like +6 Reactions (is fired 12 reactionshots only and all points get rewarded into reactions) or +6 firing accuracy.

So the best weapon to improve your soldiers basically are generally Pistols. But they will not do signifcant damage or are to inaccurate at distance -> Laser Rifle Snap Shot / Rifle Snap Shot is the way to go.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 01:07:54 pm »
If during your turn you shoot and miss, it gives your soldier zero primary and secondary experience.
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Firing_Accuracy

I also disagree with :
It is also know that, performing less then 3 Primary actions for a soldier in a mission will grant no improvement.
You get 50% chance of increasing accuracy by 1. But even if you get unlucky, it counts as secondary XP, so the physical stats increase as usual.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 01:39:56 pm »
If during your turn you shoot and miss, it gives your soldier zero primary and secondary experience.
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Firing_Accuracy

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Experience#How_Experience_Points_Are_Applied Says Otherwise....

Shooting an Enemy (if you hit or not) is a primary action and will increase secondary stats (TU's Strength, Stamina, Health).
If you hit the enemy you will also gain Firing Accuracy.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 01:56:12 pm »
Which also means you can't perform as many primary actions as you normally would -> Soldiers lvl slower...
So nogo for me.

1. Vanilla is something like
AIM =  soldier aim - 100 + weapon aim 
ex soldier with 72 acc / weapon with 95% acc / target is 7 squares away 
72 - 100 + 95 = 77% aim

2. with acc extender
AIM = soldier aim - 100 + weapon aim - (2 * distance from soldier to target)
ex soldier with 72 acc / weapon with 95% acc / target is 7 squares away : 72 - 100 + 95 - (2 x 7 )  = 53%

All other weapon stats are identical. Damage same. TU same. ...

Affects everyone in the game.

The effect is you hit less the farther away the target is from you but also aliens also hit you less the farther they are from you. So is equally fair.

It makes  grenades and melee more useful than lining up soldiers for shots. Makes the game more tactical.

Is a great option I always play with. You can no longer get sniped from halfway across the map during night time cause  aliens see 3 times better than you. In vanilla XCOM at Superhuman aliens would never miss a hit from anywhere on the map. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 01:57:57 pm by tollworkout »

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 01:57:23 pm »
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Experience#How_Experience_Points_Are_Applied Says Otherwise....

Shooting an Enemy (if you hit or not) is a primary action and will increase secondary stats (TU's Strength, Stamina, Health).
If you hit the enemy you will also gain Firing Accuracy.

Performing more than 11 actions won't cause any more increase.  You can do  a maximum of 11 things with a soldier for the purpose of stats increase.  So hitting aliens 5 times and using psi 6 times you done.

Acc extender doesn't affect game that much in terms of xp. Mostly affects ability to shoot.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 01:59:46 pm by tollworkout »