aliens

Author Topic: Quality of UI life  (Read 23654 times)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
Re: Quality of UI life
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2015, 02:58:29 pm »
no need for coding
mod is enough
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2389.msg27804.html#msg27804
Well' that's exactly the same thing I was going to do in my mod, drawing an icon-indicator directly in the crouched frames.
It's not a problem for me to do this, can be done quickly; but it's indeed quite ugly and people who don't want to the icon won't be able to deactivate it.

Changing the arrow to indicate the kneeled state is another good idea. I wouldn't make fancy animations frankly, just some kind of indicator in the arrow to indicate the crouching.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 03:01:23 pm by robin »

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2015, 03:09:08 pm »
Changing the arrow to indicate the kneeled state is another good idea. I wouldn't make fancy animations frankly, just some kind of indicator in the arrow to indicate the crouching.
how about rotating the arow by 180 degree?

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2015, 03:58:07 pm »
how about rotating the arow by 180 degree?
Hell no.
There was some mockups I guess in the git or something, with arrows just as triangles, without top part. It's much more "natural" than arrow pointing UP. WHA???  :o

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2015, 04:23:31 pm »
Yeah the rotated arrow, I don't like.

(Tried to incorporate the icons on the button into the arrow; problem is they're all bigger than vanilla arrow)

Offline volutar

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2015, 04:27:07 pm »
Just try same arrow with shorter or no tail.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2015, 05:00:35 pm »
Well I was hoping to draw something more explicit about what it means.

The ones marked in green are as big as vanilla arrow.

Offline bladum

• Colonel
  • Bladum
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2015, 05:14:09 pm »
@Robin,

you should travel back in time to 1993 and help Microprose to make better UFO in the first place ;-)

all your stuff fits to vanilla very well

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2015, 08:18:05 pm »
If we add custom arrow we could made it bit bigger. Only limitation is how its look.

Offline volutar

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2015, 11:56:43 pm »
Expanded #15. Hints gotta be more useful.  Among other additions - showing kneel state in the hint of kneel button in a form like:
- standing -> kneel
- kneeling -> stand
Not necessary exactly like that, but something alike. Tho it would need to be done for all languages (entire #15).
This improvement will make #20 unnecessary.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:55:04 pm by volutar »

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2015, 02:18:43 pm »
It was proposed at some time, but PR was rejected.

https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/pull/846

Offline volutar

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2015, 02:25:01 pm »
With indicative hint it gonna be obsolete.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2015, 03:51:43 pm »
1. "Manufacture categories" is not used by the most of players, but it steals list space and makes almost ZERO use, statistically speaking. So it should be disabled by default, but for those few who need it - leave it in the "advanced options" (off by default).

I like them, but I will survive if they are removed.

2. Make proper use of Shift/Ctrl as modifier keys, instead of "process as ordinary key". Tab/Shift-Tab is conventional way of switching between things, and we have tab/shift, which looks like it simply raw and unfinished thing. And previous unit should be as Shift-Tab, not just Shift. And inventory copy/paste should be not just C/V, but Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V, because it's CONVENTIONAL.

Agreed.

3. Implement proper drag'n'drop style for items and drop down menus (LMB down, moving to entry, and LMB up to switch). I don't think it worth discussion because it's conventional modern UI style. Item drag'n'drop tho is tricky, because classic xcom style also should be working "by default". It's better to make it autodetectable (by mouse moving beyond some threshold to "untie" and switch into d'n'd mode).

a/ I don't see a need for drag and drop (e.g. for moving items between inventory slots), I am quite used to the current way of doing it... from other games too. But again, I am not against it.

b/ What do you mean by drag and drop in drop down menus?

4.(easy) Make RMB for selling/transferring/buying screens work not as max/min but increasing/decreasing by 100. When you have 1000 alloys, it's pretty unhandy to scroll it to sell 500. Mouse wheel as increasing-decreasing values is not good advise, because it screws solid concept "scroll is always scroll", can cause accidental value changes, thus multiplies mess. It's bad to mix different things into single control. It's not how UI should work. As alternative - make Ctrl/Shift modifier key to work as scaler, i.e. change values by 10 instead of 1.

Agreed, this is really needed.
And yes, we should definitely not use the middle/scroll button for that.

5.(easy) Add total expenditures into base info screen, showing expenditures of all project, not just selected base (there are plenty of space to add it without messing).

Agreed, this is really needed.

6.(easy) Make inventory screen "copy/paste" layout buttons static. Why? 1. Because there are no dynamic buttons in the Xcom UI. Making exception leading to mess. 2. There's no need to show either it filled or not, since it "saves" layout only during single equipment session, and there's no need to mix "paste" with "clear". Mixing things into single control is a bad UI design, as I said earlier, and it's not "my" vision, it's conventional QoL thing.

Agreed.

7. Need to add fast forward for walk animation. "RMB" as "fast forward" for firing was spontaneous choice, without consideration of the walk (RMB works as abort walk). Suggestion: Make "Space" button fast forwarding any animation - either firing (projectile, grenade throw), or walking (make walkers speedup their journey). RMB as cancel of long action - abort walking (as it was), and stop burst fire. Burst fire cancellation should work with the less impact on the gameplay, it shouldn't restore any TUs (it still will be spent), and perhaps, all bullets still gonna be spent. Cancelled bullets aren't gonna make any damage. The point of burst fire cancellation is to lessen "damaging" effect of fire misclick. Changing RMB behaviour for the fire is bad, but changing RMB for the walk is even worse, and leaving them not matching is bad too.

I fail to see the need for "fast forward". You can already configure the speed of walking and speed of firing. In what situations is this functionality useful?

8. Make hint for each dropdown entry, not just single hint for the whole dropdown list. Because, obviously that 2 lines for 7 entries is not enough. Will need of translation work.

In the Options dialog, yes.
From everywhere else, I would remove (obvious) hints completely.

9. Mod descriptions (for EN-us by default and for each language optionally). Damage formula, as gameplay element, should be transferred from the advanced options to mods (because tftd has tftd formula and ufoeu has ufoeu, as default).

a/ Mod description might be useful for built-in mods. Other mods you had to download somewhere and the description was (hopefully) there.

b/ In my personal opinion, I would remove the option completely. TFTD damage formula (in my opinion) ruins the game experience. Also in TFTD, I would not allow the original formula... because of the same reason. I think the game designers did a concious decision and also balanced everything according to the damage formula used.

10. Make it possible to change unit positions during pre-battle equipment and show actual unit locations (small thumb-like top view) in the craft, considering tanks. Perhaps make tanks relocatable. For the base "craft eqipment" screen, and perhaps, for the pre-battle inventory too.

Agreed, that would be nice.

11. Fix the mess with fire/walk confirmation thing. Currently Path preview is tied to walk confirmation, and fire confirmation doesn't have any kind of preview. Need to split these options to "Confirmation"  and "Preview". Preview without confirmation should work in "hover" mode, with, like, 200ms delay if mouse is still or something (not to overload CPU when moving cursor around). Preview of fire can be done with using "projectile" rendering technique just with "dot sprites" spreaded through the trajectory, including throw parabola. Confirmation is needed thing for touch devices (walk preview, walk confirmation, fire preview fire confirmation).

I fail to see the need for fire confirmation. In what situation(s) is that necessary/desired/useful?

12.(easy) Grenade indicator should blink not only in inventory screen, but in the battlescape panel as well (in hands).

I haven't seen any indicator yet, so I can only imagine what it looks like... but I like the idea.

13. Make it possible to drag item, and while holding it at the cursor, switch unit, and put at the other unit's slot, without using of ground. Also switch items if "dropped" one over another. Conventional inventory works like that. During actual battle these manipulation tweaks ain't gonna be working tho, it's only for pre-battle equipment, like copy/paste thing.

a/ between different units is seems more complicated than using ground

b/ within the same unit, I like it

14. Add support of modular fonts (to make it possible to add extra alphabets without replacing "classic", and add exotic thai, japanese, korean and chinese "fonts" + make UI elements "rulesetted" (bigger line heights, etc).

I am opinionless on this.

15. Dynamic hint texts. Hint over the left/right hand slots of the panel should show item name and loaded ammo type/bullets left (instead of irrelevant Captain Obvious stuff like "Use Left Hand Item"/"Use Right Hand Item"). Also show grenade charging state/turns and Medikit P/S/H numbers. Kneel/unkneel hint of the respective button should show current state. Same for move up/down. It should show current level. Perhaps same for camera up/down. End turn button should show current turn number. Main purpose - is to make hints more indicative and useful.

Yes.
Make hints actually useful... and remove obvious hints.

16.(easy) During pre-battle equipment "unload" should work even if hand slots are occupied, and in this case spread ammo/weapon to the ground slots. When hovering over the weapon - it should show ammo type/bullets left within the hint (as with previous #15).

YES.

17.(easy) Ufopaedia available from the tactic screen (to see weapon/ammo/item properties). Perhaps replace "MultiLevel view" with ufopaedia button.

Would be nice.

18.(easy) When moving items between slots in the combat mode (not pre-battle), it should show NUMBER (TU cost) at the corner of the cell you're trying to drop to (when hovering), with "dim", not contrast color.

Would be nice.

19.(easy) In pre-battle screen (perhaps just at the base), when clicking into paper doll image (square area in the chest), it should allow to change armour. Also when moving mouse over the paperdoll, it should show armour type as HINT.

Yes, please ;-)