Author Topic: Playable Dev Build of TFTD?  (Read 8493 times)

Offline FLIR

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Playable Dev Build of TFTD?
« on: December 13, 2014, 07:32:09 pm »
Hi,

I am wondering if an early build of OpenXcom + TFTD can be downloaded somewhere and be played?

Thanks!

Offline AndO3131

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Playable Dev Build of TFTD?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 09:22:13 pm »
It's not downloadable yet, because it's not ready. I believe TFTD support will be finished around mid 2015. Please, be patient.

Offline Mackus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 02:12:47 pm »
Mid 2015 :o !? We are gonna go crazy in the meantime! I was sure of "any day now", since battlescape is very playable. Why no open beta, at very least? OpenXCOM had open betas, back when it was nowhere as close to complete as OpenTFTD looks now.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 02:15:34 pm by Mackus »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 05:08:45 pm »
An open beta is especially useful when you are trying to work out bugs in getting your program to operate.

Warboy has a number of development goals that he is working on, that he would like to accomplish before releasing it to the public and work on squashing bugs.  When he feels its done enough, I'm sure he'll put it to beta!

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 07:20:21 pm »
in due time.

Offline Mackus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 12:08:03 am »
in due time.
In due course. At the appropriate juncture. In the fullness of time. When the moment is ripe. When the necessary procedures have been completed. Nothing precipitate, of course.

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 06:14:42 am »
There's no real point to reveal build when there's no even a support of multiple data folders, no working geoscape and no necessary externalization put. Yes, battlescape works pretty convenient to give some nice impression and make teasing videos. But it's not for public. Public aren't developers who can sort issues out properly and fix them. The result of premature revealing will be tons of reports and devs bloody distracting. So it's no-no, until it will be truly playable, with proper externalized stuff, researches, manufactures and multiple types of terror missions... not just Battlescape.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 07:11:34 am »
volutar pretty much nailed it, we have UFO defense for playability and testing if things are broken, TFTD still has much work to be done before we can consider it likewise. the idea is that in doing all the stuff for TFTD we don't break anything in UFO defense.

Offline Mackus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 11:55:01 am »
Got it. Any chance we get videos or screen-shots of geoscape, just to let us now how work on it is moving along?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 12:13:15 pm »
there has been almost 0 work done on the geoscape.

Offline FLIR

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 11:00:28 pm »
"almost 0 work done on the geoscape"   :'(

I hope TFTD get's the same "love" as UFO Defense - TFTD would really deserve it...

May I ask some questions:

How many people are working on "OpenTFTD"? Would more donations help? Or do you need more programmers?

Offline Firestorm

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 08:59:16 am »
Got it. Any chance we get videos or screen-shots of geoscape, just to let us now how work on it is moving along?

What exactly would you be hoping to see? UI appearance aside, TFTD geoscape is pretty much the same as UFO.  The only thing that really changes is the textures.  I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of code remains the same (although I also wouldn't be surprised to find out I was wrong, either.)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 04:32:47 pm »
how many are working on it? well, i can't claim full responsibility for it, but i'm basically the guy.
donations help, inasmuch as they keep me motivated and my coffee mug topped up, but i wouldn't say they were crucial to TFTD development.

as for the differences in the geoscape... the textures and colors are all but done already, the bulk of the work that needs doing is the stuff that you DON'T see, like the alien mission generation. there's a lot of hard coding that needs to be removed for starters.

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 07:26:22 pm »
how many are working on it? well, i can't claim full responsibility for it, but i'm basically the guy.
Hey?!;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:30:12 pm by volutar »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 11:33:19 pm »
sure, you're helping, so is everyone that collaborates on the project, that's why i don't claim full responsibility. i don't mean to marginalize your or anyone else's contribution, i merely mean that i'm leading the charge, so to speak.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 11:54:36 pm by Warboy1982 »