aliens

Author Topic: AI effectiveness per difficulty level ?  (Read 6715 times)

Offline Zak

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
AI effectiveness per difficulty level ?
« on: November 22, 2014, 08:37:05 am »
Im playing on experienced difficulty and see no reason to enter Ufos just wait outside, later or soner the aliens will leave their ship and killed easily.

So my question is, will the AI behavior change if the game is set on highter difficulty level ?

If yes, what are those changes exactly ?

Thanks

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: AI effectiveness per difficulty level ?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 12:27:13 pm »
I don't think the AI changes, there will just be more aliens and they will be stronger, and UFOs fire more quickly the higher the difficulty as well.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 12:28:56 pm »
alien stats get buffed more and more the higher the difficulty, they're more likely to use explosives, they're allowed more waypoints on blaster launches. sneaky AI might break the "wait them out" tactic to some extent, or you could, you know, not use it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 12:34:12 pm by Warboy1982 »

Offline Zak

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 03:46:59 pm »
in Xenonauts the ai just dont leave the ship if you are positioning around the entrance door couldnt this be implemented some day too ?

is there a way to mod this ?

Thanks

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 04:36:55 pm »
There isn't much of a way to mod the AI.

You can try decreasing the aggression values for aliens, which will make them less likely to charge out and more likely to hang out and wait for you.

You can change the intelligence of aliens, which defines how many turns they will remember where you are (and remembering that you are waiting at the entrance might make them not want to come out after you killed the first alien walking out)

Otherwise, that's it. And as was said above, try Sneaky AI in the options, that makes aliens less likely to expose themselves.

Frankly, the tactic of "press End Turn until all aliens have come out" makes the game so boring I never tried to use it. Breaching is where the thrill is, I don't know why you would deprive yourself of that.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 05:55:18 pm »
in a word, no.
we don't have xenonauts' AI, we have xcom's AI.
xcom's AI very clearly says "we all start hunting the player on turn 20"

no matter what adjustments i make, short of installing a human being in your PC, there will always be some way to "game" the AI. therefore i put it to you, that it is not up to me to rewrite the AI every week, but up to you to choose not to exploit it.

Offline Zak

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 05:56:40 am »

You can try decreasing the aggression values for aliens, which will make them less likely to charge out and more likely to hang out and wait for you.

You can change the intelligence of aliens, which defines how many turns they will remember where you are (and remembering that you are waiting at the entrance might make them not want to come out after you killed the first alien walking out)

Otherwise, that's it. And as was said above, try Sneaky AI in the options, that makes aliens less likely to expose themselves.

Thats what i want to hear  ;)

Where can i change the aggression values and the intelligence for aliens ?

There is no way to chreate an ai mod ?

in a word, no.
we don't have xenonauts' AI, we have xcom's AI.
xcom's AI very clearly says "we all start hunting the player on turn 20"

no matter what adjustments i make, short of installing a human being in your PC, there will always be some way to "game" the AI. therefore i put it to you, that it is not up to me to rewrite the AI every week, but up to you to choose not to exploit it.

I know thats the problem with Single player games, and on those nearly perfekt ones its often my only complaint.
It just would be cool if we could create realy creative AIs somedays.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 06:04:18 am by Zak »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 07:27:22 am »
Thats what i want to hear  ;)

Where can i change the aggression values and the intelligence for aliens ?

There is no way to chreate an ai mod ?

Both are values set using rulesets, so you can look into writing a mod that changes them. This wiki page has much of the information on what is in a ruleset: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Ruleset_Reference_%28OpenXcom%29#AI_Units_.28Aliens.2FCivilians.29

Note that you do not have to rewrite the whole ruleset, only the values you wish to change.

In your case, I would expect something like:
Code: [Select]
units:
  - type: STR_SECTOID_SOLDIER
    aggression: 0
    intelligence: 10
  - type: STR_SECTOID_MEDIC
    aggression: 0
    intelligence: 10

and so on for every alien that you want to perform ambushes. I am in no way saying that this will do what you want, only that it is a way to change alien behavior through modding instead of rewriting the AI code. Another way is by using the "Sneaky AI" option and I believe you can use both.

There is no way to profoundly change the AI using mods, no. You can only tweak parameters. You would have to make your own branch of the OpenXCom code and code your own AI in order to do more profound changes than what I describe above.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:31:57 am by Arthanor »