aliens

Author Topic: Craft sonic weapon, no ammo  (Read 3637 times)

Offline endersblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
Craft sonic weapon, no ammo
« on: November 10, 2014, 07:06:07 am »
Something I could never figure out, the Sonic Craft Cannons, if I remember, do not actually use ammo.  They just automatically reload back at base.  I always wanted to be able to make other weapons do this.  So looking at the Sonic Cannon:

Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_PLASMA_BEAM_UC
    sprite: 5
    sound: 9
    damage: 140
    range: 52
    accuracy: 50
    reloadCautious: 12
    reloadStandard: 12
    reloadAggressive: 12
    ammoMax: 100
    rearmRate: 50
    launcher: STR_PLASMA_BEAM
    projectileType: 5

The only thing I can see is the "projectileType: 5" that may have something to do with it.  Now, I don't want to make other weapons do sonic weapon damage, if that's what it actually does, but I WOULD like to make them not require ammo.

Also, going along with this, I was wondering if anyone offhandedly knew what the "max" range within the intercept window is?  I used to know it back when I modded the original, but can't for the life of me remember.

Offline endersblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Craft sonic weapon, no ammo
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 07:37:14 am »
Also, so as not to have to create another thread:  In original XCOM/TFTD, there was some sort of strange limit (memory maybe?) when it came to Alien Containment.  After a certain amount of time, no matter if you were researching them or not to get them out of containment, eventually the newer aliens you captured just disappeared after a mission.  Has this been fixed?  I'm about to start a game with the Final Mod Pack, and since it requires live aliens for a lot of stuff, I plan on just stunning the hell out of everything I can.  I just don't want to screw myself by capping out the Containment again!

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 08:46:20 am »
Unless storage limits are enforced (it's an advanced option), Alien Containment can actually hold probably an infinite number of aliens in OpenXcom.  But with storage limits, they can only hold 10 live aliens for each containment (as the UFOpaedia text states).  If after a mission you go over this limit, you'll have to select which live alien to keep and which to turn into a corpse to meet the limit.

Offline endersblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 08:54:58 am »
Thanks for the reply :-)  But it isn't quite what I'm talking about.  Although I do believe I'm running with unlimited storage and all that.

The way alien containment info was stored in the original was in a file called ASTORE.DAT.  It was essentially plain text file that has a list of all the aliens you've captured.  Unfortunately there was a limit (file size?  line limit?) that, once reached, no matter how much Alien Containment space you actually had open, you would NEVER receive another live alien.  To alleviate this issue, you could delete it (or delete the info in it) and it would SOMETIMES work again, although most often the game would just continue to make captured aliens disappear.

Now, this was a fairly high number, most people would never reach it.  There is more than enough room to capture all the aliens you needed to fill the UFOpaedia, unless you make it a habit of capturing soldiers.  But not much more beyond that.  Like I mentioned, I love capturing aliens (it's sometimes easier than trying to kill them), and I also liked really long games, so I would usually always reach that point. 

I don't see the ASTORE.DAT file in my OpenXcom directory, so I'm not sure if this is even an issue.  I just want to make sure before I go hog wild capturing live aliens :-)

Hope this was enough info to explain what I'm talking about lol :-P

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 10:49:09 am »
Craft weapons:
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Ruleset_Reference_%28OpenXcom%29#Craft_Weapons
Sonic cannon does not consume anything to rearm because it doesn't have a "clip" value.

About live aliens : OpenXcom reads the original resource files (except the ones completely replaced by, for example, the ruleset), but doesn't implement the same kind of file-based communication between Geoscape and Battlescape. The format (and limits) of these files are irrelevant. Even the savegames are made in a new  "yaml" format, so all lists (list of soldiers, list of equipment in a ship, list of research topics) are not limited by the format.

You can always right-click your Alien Containment to reach a new screen where you can manage the live aliens.

Note that OpenXCOM will not let you research a live alien if there's nothing to gain from it : For example after you know all live aliens, medics are no longer proposed to research.

Offline endersblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 06:26:39 pm »
Laser Cannon and Sonic Cannon don't have clip: lines.  So if I just remove the clip line from something, it will cease needing ammo!  Cool!

Thanks for the link!  And thanks for the info about storage limits (or lack thereof).  Good to know!  Now I just gotta figure out the max range of the intercept window.

Edit:  DERP...of course I meant Plasma and not Sonic -_-  I'm stuck in TFTD mode lol.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 06:30:10 pm by endersblade »