Author Topic: [GRAPHICS] Cleaner Desert  (Read 6293 times)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
[GRAPHICS] Cleaner Desert
« on: November 01, 2014, 02:32:45 pm »
I'm not snake- or skull-o-phobic but the unbelievable amount of snakes and skulls in the XCom deserts always made me shake my head, so I came up with this.

This cosmetic mod removes the trillions of snakes and skulls from the X-Com deserts. Just overwrite your original files in the data/terrain folder with those in the zip. And your desert will be a desert and no longer a snake pit or the predator's skull collection. Or a cartoon from Gary Larson.

Of course you make a backup of the original files, don't you? thx.

The three snake-map-tiles were replaced with sand and in one case with tiny little cactus sprouts, you will see next to nothing new, except for the missing snakes. Same for the skulls, all sand now. The rest of the desert graphics remain completely untouched.

anyway, have fun!

civilian 2014
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:34:56 am by new_civilian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: (GRAPHICS) Cleaner Desert
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 07:10:54 pm »
I'm a bit torn on this. I've never liked the fact that the snakes aren't moving, actual creatures, and the skulls are silly, but I got so used to them that I'm not sure I want them removed.

What would be awesome is adding code for neutral creatures, which either ignore both sides or perhaps attack them... Dying from a poisonous snake bite while fighting aliens would be fun! :)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 07:46:01 pm »
I'm a bit torn on this. I've never liked the fact that the snakes aren't moving, actual creatures, and the skulls are silly, but I got so used to them that I'm not sure I want them removed.

What would be awesome is adding code for neutral creatures, which either ignore both sides or perhaps attack them... Dying from a poisonous snake bite while fighting aliens would be fun! :)

I remember being scared of the snakes in my first few desert missions... I think I even tried shooting some.  Took me a bit to realize they were scenery. XD

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 04:47:44 pm »
I remember being scared of the snakes in my first few desert missions... I think I even tried shooting some.  Took me a bit to realize they were scenery. XD

Haha  ;D Same here....  Ack, the olde days.... *remembers playing Xcom 1 on the first Playstation...*

I like your Let's play videos, btw!

Solarius, maybe one could add those critters as civilian units? Like the Sectoids in the XCom Apcolapse alien levels? (they were neutral and served as food for the other aliens iirc). But making those sprites is way beyond my abilities....

Of course that would mean that the Aliens start to act like ivandogovivh and shoot them  :D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 04:55:36 pm by new_civilian »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 04:55:36 pm »
btw could you use standard tags with square brackets?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 08:42:04 pm »
Solarius, maybe one could add those critters as civilian units? Like the Sectoids in the XCom Apcolapse alien levels? (they were neutral and served as food for the other aliens iirc). But making those sprites is way beyond my abilities....

Of course that would mean that the Aliens start to act like ivandogovivh and shoot them  :D

Yeah, and for really bad penalties to you. :D

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 11:34:34 am »
btw could you use standard tags with square brackets?
##

ok.  :)