Author Topic: How Vanilla is Vanilla?  (Read 4572 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
How Vanilla is Vanilla?
« on: October 06, 2011, 10:58:57 am »
Hello,
 Just wondering is there a set out plan for the official MODS to openXcom or are you simply playing it by ear?

I know in a interview on strategy core SupSuper mentioned a few changes i was just wondering if any more have been officially approved? ( approved by you  the programmers not  approved by unimportant people like me :P)
Thanks

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: How Vanilla is Vanilla?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 01:45:49 pm »
There is nothing set in stone, as far as I know.

If you follow the steam forums, the word is that currently "the way to play xcom" is with UFOExtender (https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=User:Seb76)
But a lot of people want xcomutil to work on top of that too. (https://sites.google.com/site/stjones/xcomutil)

The problem is that neither of them will work properly with openxcom. The only way to give people these mods back, is to implement them in our vanilla openxcom - probably with options to enable/disable them.

Obvious bugfixes are mostly implemented without much discussion.
The enhancements we have to look at in two categories: non-gameplay affecting enhancements, and gameplay affecting enhancements. The latter ones would need options to enable them.
Range based accuracy I have realised now is an example of a gameplay affecting enhancement, thus I'm working on the option to enable it only if you want.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 02:03:58 pm by Daiky »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 12:46:51 pm »
Sorry i have only ever played the original version of x-com , no modes or enhancements so i am not sure if my follow up question will be stupid or not .

Is melee going to be a default option even if its only " Click on empty hand slot and select PUNCH "?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 05:56:16 pm »
We are planning to look into mods mainly after v1.0 (focus right now is on original gameplay), although we usually add some things in the meantime to keep people interested.

As Daiky said though, there is nothing set in stone, we pretty much add whatever improves the game without drastically affecting gameplay. XcomUtil / Ufo Extender are the most popular mods around the community so we'll definitely wanna feature those sometime.

We haven't looked into melee yet. You should post it in the Suggestions forum to see if anyone else would be interested.