Author Topic: Let's Play WHUT?!?!  (Read 9970 times)

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
Let's Play WHUT?!?!
« on: September 24, 2014, 04:44:37 am »
Okay,

I am wanting to do a let's play.

However, I wanted a few ideas on a combination of things and the synergies between mods, so I thought I would take a few ideas and whatever sounds the most interesting to me is the one I'll play.

1. Difficulty (Beginner to Superhuman)

2. Mods (Equalterms, Raven, etc)

3. OpenXcom options (Line of sight Psi, etc)

4. Restrictions (No grenades. Limited bases, Pacifist etc)

5. ????

I eagerly await input... Wait, what? :o

-HH

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: Let's Play WHUT?!?!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 05:36:05 am »
So Meridian, being Meridian took the hardest challenge imaginable:  SuperHuman Diffilculty, Hawaii Challenge.  My hat is off to him, and I still don't know if its doable.  If anyone can do it, its him.  He makes this game look easy.

JStank tried to cram every mod together that he could get to play nice, to show off all the cool toys in OpenXcom, and his series is really good. 

I saw a lot of balance issues there, as the "Get Sniper Rifle > Snipe All The Things"  mechanic, can be quite hard to avoid.  This is a possible problem with many one-off mods.  "I wanna build the coolest, baddest, weapon, ever and destroy all the things!"  >> can lead to OP tools.

I was going to go with a straight, non-modded OpenXcom series, but it felt like that is something that anyone who knows the Ufo Defense might already know, because it is such a classic.  Not being the masochist (nor even a third the skilled player) that Meridian is, I looked for a way to change up from the standard track: 
         "Get lasers >Shoot all the Things > Get Armor  >  Get Heavy Plasma  >  Shoot all the things >  Get PSI >  PSI all the things >  Go Blow Up Mars"

I hit upon the idea of Pistols Only.  This is not a new idea, because I enjoyed a series called "Pistols/ER Only" of the 2012 Xcom from Coto Company, and had a ton of fun watching him beat that game with those limitations.  It got me thinking about doing a scenario like that and what mods might be useful.  The "Up Close Modpack" was born and I have launched the "Lets Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal" series, and have been really enjoying it.  ("Long Guns are Bad! Pistols/Grenades/Melee Only")

Getting back to your original question: What are some good ideas?

One of the most engaging total conversions out there is Piratez!  It has not been covered by a good LP.  It you are up for it, I'd love to see it more than just casually reading the thread.  Its almost a new game, so it may not fit what you would be interested in doing.

If you wanted to do pacifist, I have a decent collection of non-lethal gear in the upclose modpack.  Three melee tools and three types of throwables.

A different twist might be "Blow them all Sky High" ~ Can only use HE Weapons: Grenades, etc, Cannons, Rockets, Blaster Launchers.   This would make live captures pretty tricky, and would cause some resource starvation, due to items being destroyed in successive blasts.  I kind of like the sound of this one. :)  May try it myself, sometime.

Bottomline, though, Play something you will have fun with.  Even a Vanilla OXC run can be hugely entertaining!

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
  • Never let me down again.
    • View Profile
    • Mod Hub for Equal Terms 2.0
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 05:50:58 am »
I was hoping to do a letsplay for equal terms, but I'm too busy with the mod and my same game editor for Xenonauts right now.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 10:21:01 am »
I was deciding between the Hawaii challenge and the Final Mod Pack (FMP) playthrough... but since FMP is still only v0.x, I went for Hawaii challenge. I'd love to see FMP LP once the mod reaches v1.0.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 05:46:05 pm »
I was deciding between the Hawaii challenge and the Final Mod Pack (FMP) playthrough... but since FMP is still only v0.x, I went for Hawaii challenge. I'd love to see FMP LP once the mod reaches v1.0.

As a side note, I do not really expect FMP to become anything much more than it is now. Some new content will probably be added, some minor bugs will be fixed, but that's it - anything more will require a new project (which I am already planning). So there would be no problem if you wanted to make an FMP let's play, especially since my God I would love that so much. :D

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 01:53:19 am »
Gents,

Okay... I had one that I think would be great fun, but it is contingent on a few things.

KingMob4314 has been hard at work on EqualTerms 2.0 and what I am really excited to see are new HWPs.

So I think that I'll wait just a little bit and run a "Heavy Metal" game where I use mostly/only HWPs. I think it would be a blast actually. Loading out the Sky Ranger with 5 HWPs, that is to say a 1 scout tank and 3 shooty killer tanks and few poor dudes to clear the UFO. Any other restrictions? I think it would be an absolute blast so I'll put a pin in this until EqualTerms 2.0 comes out. I will be compiling a list of mods I'll be using and why and then the options I select. I'm going to be eating a few shit sandwiches I'm sure, but my will is good. :)  Alright, I'll update this thread as I fully flesh out the EXACT details.

KingMob4313,

So pretty please would you edit the craft HWP limits so I can run an automaton crew. Upping the HWPs to coincide with the maximum 4 square tanks plus the remainder in scout drones would be super sweet. So, it would break out.

Skyranger-6 HWPs
Avenger-8 HWPs

PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR AND BEER!

Ivan,

Great Ideas and I'll goof around more with your fun Mod. You thought about adding an incendiary proxy mine? :)
I've been watching a LOT of your let's plays recently. Really enjoying it!

Meridian,

I love your Let's Play Hawaii challenge!
Not something that I would attempt, but DAMN. Have you ever seen someone who is really good at something and makes it look effortless and you think "I could do that"... Well long story short.... NOPE, I CANNOT match you, but I had a blast losing in a horrible fashion.

-HH

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 03:45:55 am »
Thanks for the feedback on the vids!  I like your "Hearts of Iron" idea! That could be tons of fun and a great way to show off some of the HWP mods!! :)  It crossed my mind last night as I was writing the previous post, but I couldn't really get the thought to where it made sense and sounded fun. XD

Brainstorming:

• Scout Drone with smoke
  • Upgraded One tile drone with Weapon system. ie LMG or Improved Rifle but maybe not Sniper Rifle (Could be too OP) - Would be great if this was only available after some research breakthrough..
  • Stun Drone - Armed with Stun Rod(Maybe after researching Stun Bomb?)
  • Standard Tank
  • Standard Tank w/ HE instead of Solid shot
  • Standard Tank with Grenade Launcher (arcing shot) (Maybe after researching alien Grenade?)
  • Fill in more of the awesome improvements in HWPs here

It seems like making a useful tech progression would be a worthwhile endeavor.  It doesn't really make sense to start with everything purchaseable at the beginning, and it could definitely be Over Powered.  Obviously Laser and Plasma Tanks come later in the progress tree, but the new HWPs need some sort of progression.

Maybe to get the Tank HE, you require one regular Tank, then a decent amount of time one research.  Then after having researched Tank HE, you can research Tank Grenade Launchers.  You get the idea.

And regarding Meridian:  You should watch his one man base take downs in Terror from the Deep.  Yeah.... Lets just say, when I tried it.... it was horribly ugly.  He makes everything look so damn effortless!

Edit: "Heavy Metal" is a cool name for it!  another favorite Tanker phrase, is "Death before dismount"
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 03:48:43 am by ivandogovich »

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 05:23:29 am »
Ivan,

Have you been following KingMob's thread on EqualTerms 2.0?

What he is talking about implementing is badass.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2888.0

Take a quick peek.

Two weapon HWPs with both direct and indirect fire weapons that scale with research. It will be sweet... All of them in this release will be four square HWPs but oh shit am I looking forward to it.  I really want to see a good bunch of one square and four HWPs that fill in some of the roles that I want... I'll get some of that in EQ2, but I'll start to see more as my programming skills start coming back...

--1 square tanks

A 1 square flying UAV with no other abilities or weapons... Think QuadCopter

A 1 square tank that has electro flares it throws out.

A 1 square minelayer tank that chucks proxy mines

A 1 square shotgun tank

A 1 square scout tank that can pop smoke- check

A 1 square scout tank that can self destruct for 75 dmg, a sapper tank

A 1 square tank with an SMG

A 1 square "little dog" that acts like an equipment bearer that can throw ammo, grenades or other gear and has LOTS of time units so I can have it follow my dudes around so they don't get overburdened.

--four square tanks

A foursquare "Big Dog" tank that fufills the same function as above but with a built in medkit and gun.

A Four square javelin tank.... shoots rockets straight up and the come straight down or shoots directly

A four square "Sapper" tank that blows up when killed or by using main weapon. goes off for 210 damage.... Hurray for HMX!

A four square "Soak" tank that is nothing more than a target for aliens to shoot at. HEAVILY armored and cheap, no gun.

A four square tank with a SAW and 2 SSRLs

A four square tank with a Laser sniper and a smoke generator

A four square tank with a Plasma gun and Alien grenade launcher

A four square tank with a fusion torch and machinegun.

I want to see the rise of the machines.

-HH

-edited for clarity
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:48:01 am by HelmetHair »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 12:09:32 pm »
As a side note, I do not really expect FMP to become anything much more than it is now. Some new content will probably be added, some minor bugs will be fixed, but that's it - anything more will require a new project (which I am already planning). So there would be no problem if you wanted to make an FMP let's play, especially since my God I would love that so much. :D

@Solarius Scorch: When I found your mod I saw that it combines a lot of other mods and also that it changes the tech tree.... at that point I knew that I MUST definitely play it... but I didn't read further, because I want to play it blindly first (especially not knowing the tech tree!). Having played XCOM countless of times, I really welcome the opportunity to explore the unknown again. I was just waiting until the mod is stable enough (i.e. reaches v1.0). If you say that it is almost finished, maybe you could increase the version number to v1.0... for people like me, who wait until it's ready, but don't follow the thread, because they don't want to spoil the surprise and excitement.

PS: The LP is only a matter of time... maybe in November/December I could start already... after finishing the current LP.

So I think that I'll wait just a little bit and run a "Heavy Metal" game where I use mostly/only HWPs. I think it would be a blast actually. Loading out the Sky Ranger with 5 HWPs, that is to say a 1 scout tank and 3 shooty killer tanks and few poor dudes to clear the UFO. Any other restrictions? I think it would be an absolute blast so I'll put a pin in this until EqualTerms 2.0 comes out. I will be compiling a list of mods I'll be using and why and then the options I select. I'm going to be eating a few shit sandwiches I'm sure, but my will is good. :)  Alright, I'll update this thread as I fully flesh out the EXACT details.

@HelmetHair: That sounds really great. Maybe somebody could also do a mod inspired by the game called "Z"... I'd love to see robot soldiers in the game ;-) I can already imagine Grunts, Toughs, Psychos, Lasers, Snipers and Pyros (https://zzed.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Robots)

PS: Both "Heavy Metal" and "Hearts of Iron" sound cool... my suggestion would be "Steel Soldiers" (again inspired by Z)

Meridian,
I love your Let's Play Hawaii challenge!
Not something that I would attempt, but DAMN. Have you ever seen someone who is really good at something and makes it look effortless and you think "I could do that"... Well long story short.... NOPE, I CANNOT match you, but I had a blast losing in a horrible fashion.

@HelmetHair: Thanks... and I am REALLY sorry your soldier died so early :-( You'll definitely get a new one, once the mission is over... let's pretend it never happenned :)

Oh, and can you give us a link to your YouTube channel please?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 12:13:00 pm by Meridian »

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 02:47:24 am »
It is all golden...

BTW just watched Operation Rambo...

SON. OF. A. BITCH......WOW!

You knocked out a whole Alien Base like you were ordering takeout.

then,

YOU DID IT AGAIN!!!

And to answer your question, I'll post details when I get things started, which should be early next week.

-HH

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 05:51:29 am »
Ivan!

Meridian!

Fellas, I need some advice on capturing my planned LP. KingMob4313 has set a release date for equalterms 1.9745785489490546762456313 ;) for next  Monday. So what software do you gents use?

Thanks!

-HH

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 05:55:17 am »
I use Camtasia Studio, and I think Meridian uses Bandi-cam.  Meridian has an excellent guide on his website, here: link broken

« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 10:48:29 pm by Meridian »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 11:43:43 am »
I use Bandicam 2.0.3:
 - capturing using OpenGL mode (you need to set the [Raw*] display filter in OpenXcom to use that mode)
 - recording with on-the-fly encoding using NVENC H.264 encoder with 100% quality setting, 1280x720, 30fps
 - recording game audio (44.1 kHz) and microphone audio separately (feature of Bandicam)

Afterwards I re-encode the video again so that the file is not so big using Avidemux (with default settings for x264 encoder, quality=20 (of 51, smaller number=better quality))

Then I process the audio in Audacity (noise removal + volume control) and encode it using AAC encoder (quality=115).

Finally I mux the video and audio track together using YAMB.

PS: my average video bitrate is about 750 kbps (with a lot of smoke on the battlefield it can go up to 4000 kbps), average audio bitrate is 145 kbps.
PS2: the original video (without re-encoding by Avidemux) is usually 2x-4x bigger (1500-5000 kbps)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:48:57 am by Meridian »

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 03:43:37 pm »
Thanks Meridian!

-HH

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 11:16:35 am »
So... how does it look like with this LP? HelmetHair?