Author Topic: Turn 155. Not sure if this should go into bug section or suggestion.  (Read 7277 times)

Offline MrFrustrated

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Not sure if this should go into bug section or suggestion, but the game kept going at turn 155.

I was playing a base defense skirmish against mutons on superhuman. Gave my guys rifles while fighting maxxed out mutons. Among the mods I was using was alien bleeding, distance effecting auto shots, and aliens won't expose themselves.

Around turn 60, I send the girl  (last two troops) out to hunt. The guy places a prox grenade on the stairs and waits upstair. The girl gets killed 5 turns later. 90 turns later, no alien ever checks the upstairs where he is hiding.

2 things.
1) I thought the game ended on turn 150.

2) I thought the aliens knew where you are around turn 20.

Either end the match in my favor, or have the aliens charge my last guy.

(Yes, I'm perfectly aware that the no exposing mod could be the troube here)

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
Re: Turn 155. Not sure if this should go into bug section or suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 08:09:44 am »
I wasn't aware of a max turn limit.

Tactically, wouldn't you want to go out  in a blaze of glory last soldier, unknown number of enemies, setup a screen grabber and records the last few turns as an amazing battle!!!!!

Win or loose do it on your terms!!!! :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 02:31:01 pm »
2 things.
1) I thought the game ended on turn 150.

2) I thought the aliens knew where you are around turn 20.

On the original game I never heard of 1)  but 2) is correct. However, 2) doesn't mean that all the aliens will rush at your positions, even without using the Sneaky AI option (aliens no exposing themselves). The AI unit will know the position of all your troops but it may instead decide to guard a location or wait for your soldiers.

Offline Recruit69

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 02:58:08 pm »
It knows of your position after turn 20! Cheating AI!

I hope this is not replicated in OpenXcom

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 05:15:50 pm »

I have bad news for you. It is replicated. For a practical reason. So that what was described by MrFrustrated won't happen.

Offline Recruit69

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 05:45:53 pm »
I have bad news for you. It is replicated. For a practical reason. So that what was described by MrFrustrated won't happen.

What reason would that be?

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 06:06:18 pm »
To avid long battles.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 08:09:00 pm »
A turn limit for ending a battle seems logical to me.

Since Xcom is in a human world, 150 turns or 2.5 "hours" of game world time, would mean reinforcements arrived or say  an airstrike on the position, thus terminating the game on the player side if at least one unit survived.

On an Alien base assault the winning side flag could be set to the Alien side, as reinforcements from another base or from Cydonia could arrive. Or it could be X-Com side too, as the base could be obliterated with an airstrike.

I suppose simple coding could be added where for a default and each type of mission, a maximum number of turns and a flag for the winning side can be set on the ruleset. An additional text can be added to terminate the battle, something like "reinforcements arrived and terminated the alien threat".

Just ideas  :)

Offline MrFrustrated

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 01:41:56 am »
I wasn't aware of a max turn limit.

Tactically, wouldn't you want to go out  in a blaze of glory last soldier, unknown number of enemies, setup a screen grabber and records the last few turns as an amazing battle!!!!!

Win or loose do it on your terms!!!! :)

If its my last guy, I'll make the aliens come to him for an effective last stand.

Offline Sturm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 05:38:28 pm »

Even worse, OpenXcom has a cheating player that uses special abilities that the AI doesn't have like thinking, predicting situations, coordinating and using tactics which breaks the game.

A turn limit for ending a battle seems logical to me.

Since Xcom is in a human world, 150 turns or 2.5 "hours" of game world time, would mean reinforcements arrived or say  an airstrike on the position, thus terminating the game on the player side if at least one unit survived.
More like 12,5-25 minutes.

Offline MrFrustrated

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 11:04:59 pm »
I had another game where the last Muton would not leave the hangar.

Easily 60 turns passed after killing all the othey guys. It was a navigator who had panicked. Occasionaly he would make a hangar door open and close. I had at least 26 men left (maybe 28 or 29), max eqiupped. All entrances had prox grenades.

At first, I hoped he would bleed to death (had that mod and the aliens don't expose themselves mod).

For the 1st 30 tuirns, I hade 1 guy facing every entrance he could use.

I pulled them hoping he would charge. No such luck.

After 60+ turns, I sent 2 guys into the lower right \ hangar (had to grenade my own prox), searched, found no aliens and  3 blaster bombs. I fire 2 blaster bombs. I use 1 to clear out the 2nd floor of the room before the Lower left hangar. That took out both of my prox in the area. I send a second to punch a hole in the hangar door. Immediately sent 2 guys, who found the lone baddie in a turn. Killed him. Victory.

Aside from a bug, I wonder if he had any weapons. Maybe he dropped them and were destroyed at some piont.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 01:29:42 am »
If its my last guy, I'll make the aliens come to him for an effective last stand.

hmmm.... a last stand doesn't mean you have to just stand waiting :)

You need to watch more hero movies :P one single untrained computer nerd armed with a toothpick takes on and defeats an elite squad of meanest toughest soldiers on the planet :D

Offline MrFrustrated

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 06:25:53 am »
hmmm.... a last stand doesn't mean you have to just stand waiting :)

You need to watch more hero movies :P one single untrained computer nerd armed with a toothpick takes on and defeats an elite squad of meanest toughest soldiers on the planet :D

You know what, a toothpick might do more damage to a muton than a slug throwing rifle.

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 12:13:53 am »
Was he panicked?  I think the turn 20 might need more proofing.  I've had aliens spot my folks and not make a bee line for them in any way.