Author Topic: [BETA][WIP][BUNCHOFSTUFF] Xeno Operations v0.98  (Read 234617 times)

Offline moghopper

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: [BETA][WIP][BUNCHOFSTUFF] Xeno Operations Mod
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2014, 05:08:07 pm »
Some new terrain mods. Might be the cause

Removed them. Still the same.

I'll try a fresh install later

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2014, 05:16:34 pm »
Another suggestion. You could try using one XenoOps ruleset at a time to try to narrow down the problem. Actually you could try disabling all mods as well to see if it is a separate issue from the mods.

Offline moghopper

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2014, 05:23:50 pm »
Another suggestion. You could try using one XenoOps ruleset at a time to try to narrow down the problem. Actually you could try disabling all mods as well to see if it is a separate issue from the mods.

Looks like I'll need a fresh install. All mods disabled, and same problem.

Thanks for the help

Update: This is interesting. I did a Fresh install, overwrote all the files with the nightly, and same thing.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:39:09 pm by moghopper »

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2014, 07:43:50 pm »
Looks like I'll need a fresh install. All mods disabled, and same problem.

Thanks for the help

Update: This is interesting. I did a Fresh install, overwrote all the files with the nightly, and same thing.

There is one more thing that may be the problem. There may be an issue with your config files. You could try deleting or moving both battle.cfg and options.cfg and let OPXcom generate new ones. If that doesn't fix it, then you may need to ask around in the trouble shooting forums.

Offline moghopper

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2014, 08:33:54 pm »
I tried installing it over again (for the 5th time) and now it all seems to work. No clue why.

Offline cjones

• Captain
  • Happy bug hunting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2014, 12:09:18 am »
.80 is just wow. I won't spoil it for anyone but I am loving it!

Offline cjones

• Captain
  • Happy bug hunting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2014, 07:54:02 pm »
In the realm of " Does this skywarden make my butt look big?"....

Attached a save here where you can see that my tank laser cannon cannot fit thru skywarden front door.  Also noticed aliens shooting at my soldiers thru the front door even when closed.

Thanks!

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2014, 01:29:53 am »
In the realm of " Does this skywarden make my butt look big?"....

Attached a save here where you can see that my tank laser cannon cannot fit thru skywarden front door.  Also noticed aliens shooting at my soldiers thru the front door even when closed.

Thanks!

After a bit of fiddling I think I have fixed the ramp issue. I have attached a patch that should get the ramp working again for HWP. It was an issue with the MCD data for the ramp. Just unzip it in the TERRAIN directory and override the old file. See if it fixes the shooting through the doors issue as well.

Offline cjones

• Captain
  • Happy bug hunting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2014, 11:25:18 pm »
XOPS,

thanks for the fix, I think that fixed most of the firing thru the door stuff, haven't tested HWP yet.  I did noticed the first soldier on left can see and fire thru door still.

Another small thing, I made some power armor just now and I think it gave me both power armor and power suits?  So I ordered 5 power armor and got 5 power suits too?  I cant tell if they were made when I made the suits or if they appeared in the soldier armor screen when I equipped em?

Attached sav, using TFTD manu rules if that matters.

Thanks.

Offline Squaddie Perseus

• Squaddie
  • Just average enough to survive the mission.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2014, 10:34:08 pm »
Hey there. I've been lurking around OpenXCOM and the forums for a while now, and then I found your mod. I am incredibly impressed with the amount of work you've put into this. I honestly think that your mod has the potential to become the Long War of OpenXCOM. I realize this mod is in beta, but I am experiencing the same problem moghopper encountered. Whenever a melee attack animation plays, the game crashes after the fourth frame. I've done two clean installs for both OpenXCOM and your mod, and the end result has been the same. However, I believe I have managed to ascertain what aspect of the mod is causing the crash. It appears the AlienArsenal ruleset and associated resources are the cause. Is there an easy way to fix this, or is this going to be a major effort to fix? Also, I included a save that can show you the crash. Just wait for one of the Chrysalids to reach one of the troopers (*shudders*). I hope this helps. Keep up the amazing work!  ;D

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2014, 04:47:15 pm »
Really enjoying this mod atm as its breathed new life into my games and looking forward to version 0.9 and later but I've a couple of enquiries. Is there a compatibility issue with adding the mod "smoke rocket" as it doesn't recognise the ammunition type. Secondly to expand the aliens further I would like to add the mod "new races mod" that adds aliens from TFTD but on looking at what this mod brings it might mess up the deployments at least. I'm currently using nighty build 10-27-14 2040 but enable my 42 mods through the generic mod enabler JSGME v2.3 so as to not tweak the original files. See attachments.

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2014, 08:03:53 pm »
XOPS,

thanks for the fix, I think that fixed most of the firing thru the door stuff, haven't tested HWP yet.  I did noticed the first soldier on left can see and fire thru door still.

Another small thing, I made some power armor just now and I think it gave me both power armor and power suits?  So I ordered 5 power armor and got 5 power suits too?  I cant tell if they were made when I made the suits or if they appeared in the soldier armor screen when I equipped em?

Attached sav, using TFTD manu rules if that matters.

Thanks.

The Skywarden still needs a lot more polish in the mcd area. It's a lot harder to plug all of the holes than I initially thought. Given that the Skywarden is functional now, I will probably hold off on plugging all of the holes until 1.0. Thanks for the catch though.

As for the power armor, I loaded your save and tried to duplicate the bug. No luck or in this case good luck since I didn't find a bug. Don't know why it added extra power suits. Maybe it was something I fixed recently without knowing. Regardless I will keep an eye out for it next time I playtest.

Hey there. I've been lurking around OpenXCOM and the forums for a while now, and then I found your mod. I am incredibly impressed with the amount of work you've put into this. I honestly think that your mod has the potential to become the Long War of OpenXCOM. I realize this mod is in beta, but I am experiencing the same problem moghopper encountered. Whenever a melee attack animation plays, the game crashes after the fourth frame. I've done two clean installs for both OpenXCOM and your mod, and the end result has been the same. However, I believe I have managed to ascertain what aspect of the mod is causing the crash. It appears the AlienArsenal ruleset and associated resources are the cause. Is there an easy way to fix this, or is this going to be a major effort to fix? Also, I included a save that can show you the crash. Just wait for one of the Chrysalids to reach one of the troopers (*shudders*). I hope this helps. Keep up the amazing work!  ;D

Thanks for playing the mod! Let's see if we can fix this. First off, you need to make sure you have the latest nightly. It is the only one that supports the shortened melee animations. The nightlies are here: https://openxcom.org/git-builds/

If that does not fix it, then try a clean install as you did before and then update again to the latest nightly. It if still crashes, then trying backing up the options and battle configuration files and then deleting the originals letting open xcom generate new ones (these files are in the open xcom folder in the documents directory, not in the main game directory).

If it still crashes, disable all mods and try again to make sure it isn't a problem with the mods. If it still crashes, then do another clean install without mods. If this doesn't work, then go to the trouble shooting boards because it is an issue beyond my ability to fix.

Also trying to take on Snakemen and Crysalids with nothing but starting weapons and rookies! Well you got guts. That's all I can say. :)

Really enjoying this mod atm as its breathed new life into my games and looking forward to version 0.9 and later but I've a couple of enquiries. Is there a compatibility issue with adding the mod "smoke rocket" as it doesn't recognise the ammunition type. Secondly to expand the aliens further I would like to add the mod "new races mod" that adds aliens from TFTD but on looking at what this mod brings it might mess up the deployments at least. I'm currently using nighty build 10-27-14 2040 but enable my 42 mods through the generic mod enabler JSGME v2.3 so as to not tweak the original files. See attachments.

The smoke rocket mod doesn't work because XenoOps has already modded the Rocket Launcher to take special kinds of ammunition (AP rocket, really need to buff that one actually). If you want to add compatibility with the smoke rocket then edit XenoOpsWeapons.rul and add the following code to the Rocket Launcher
Code: [Select]
    compatibleAmmo:
      - STR_SMALL_ROCKET
      - STR_LARGE_ROCKET
      - STR_INCENDIARY_ROCKET
      - STR_AP_ROCKET
      - STR_SMOKE_ROCKET #add this to the end of the list
Then delete the following entry from the Smoke Rocket Mod
Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_ROCKET_LAUNCHER
    compatibleAmmo:
      - STR_SMALL_ROCKET
      - STR_LARGE_ROCKET
      - STR_INCENDIARY_ROCKET
      - STR_SMOKE_ROCKET
This should make it compatible.

I took a look at the new races mod. It doesn't mess with deployments so it should work. Only mods that try to give aliens new weapons really mess with XenoOps. However it will have plenty of other issues. For example, the first month you will encounter sectoids mixed with a lot of other odd races since in XenoOps, the sectoid race has been replaced by the Cydonia Landing Guard due to hardcoding issues. Also research into alien topics may work strangely as well (medics won't give data on XenoOps only races, Martian Solution research may not work when interrogating captured XenoOps races etc).
Looking at your mod list... holy crap that is a lot of mods. You even have Batman in there! Wow. Too bad I really don't have to time to check for compatibility issues with every single mod. I all can say is that mods that add alien gear flat out wont work. Mods that add new aliens will work, but can produce strange effects in research and mission order. Mods that add new weapons usually work. Mods that modify old weapons probably wont work or at least not well as too many weapons have been moved or replaced. New armors are hit or miss, but most should work since all of the original armors are largely untouched save for a few tweaks. Any mod that messes with the research order will probably cause issues as well since at this point I have mutilated the tech tree. Hope this helps. :)

In update news, I got almost everything ready for 9.0. Just need to finish those stupid turrets for the Alloy Tanks. After that I will be running out of things to add. Can't say when it will be out. November and December are always busy months for everyone. I also plan to include a Lite version with the next release that doesn't have the plasma conversion system and greatly shortens the tech tree to keep the pacing close to the original game as an optional version. After 9.0, my 1.0 goal is to combine all of the rulesets into a full mod with a marathon tech tree.

Offline Squaddie Perseus

• Squaddie
  • Just average enough to survive the mission.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2014, 12:15:29 am »
Hey XOPs. Just wanted to let you know that I downloaded and pasted the latest nightly over the install of OpenXCOM I had and the melee animations now work properly. It turns out I pulled a dumb and didn't realize that the nightlies and main download were separate.  :P Thanks for pointing them out to me. Can't wait to see what else you do with this incredible mod. I wish I could offer my help in someway, but I'm not that talented when it comes to modding so the most I can do is report any bugs I find.  :) Actually, speaking of bugs/features/things, does the Satellite Network research actually do anything right now? I researched it and the game crashes when I try to view the report. This can be avoided by simply allocating new research but there doesn't seem to be a noticeable effect or benefit from this research. Are you still testing this or am I missing something again?

Edit: Oh, and you mentioned me being gutsy for taking on Lids and Snakemen with starter weapons? Well....I didn't know what the aliens were and when I did I was still trying to solve the animation crash.....That and it turns out Anti-Material rifles are actually good against lone Lids. A couple shots or a single shot followed up by a few shots from other troopers will kill a lone Lid at the start, but that's it. I actually managed to win the mission in the save I provided you without a losing a soldier to the Lids (lost one to plasma fire though), but only because the Lids were far enough apart that I could focus on them one at a time, otherwise I really doubt I would have won that mission. May have to start a new game though. Second month was not nice to me with those Snakemen and their pets everywhere (that and ignoring terror missions because of the aforementioned but now solved crash). If you're intending for a longer game where the nastier aliens take longer to show up so that the larger tech tree doesn't leave the player facing Lids like I was in that save, you may want to reduce the chances of Snakemen with Lids appearing, especially at the start of the game. On small Snakemen UFOs, the aliens can be killed with starter weapons, but the UFO in the aforementioned save was a Large class that I brought down with copious amounts of Avalanches, and they were disturbingly common from the outset of my current attempted run. Again though, thanks for pointing me in the direction I needed to fix this problem and keep up the amazing work!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 12:23:19 am by Squaddie Perseus »

Offline TaxxiDriver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2014, 02:46:23 pm »
Holy mother god shit of ....  wow.

You have some serious talents, man. Both for making sprites and organizing the general structure of the game. You freaked me out. Many of the things I've only imagined are actually in here. That's... so sweet ;D Especially every single sprite just looks so brilliant. I hope you keep going with it :)

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
Re: [BETA][WIP][BUNCHOFSTUFF] Xeno Operations Mod v0.90
« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2014, 10:48:55 pm »
Hey XOPs. Just wanted to let you know that I downloaded and pasted the latest nightly over the install of OpenXCOM I had and the melee animations now work properly. It turns out I pulled a dumb and didn't realize that the nightlies and main download were separate.  :P Thanks for pointing them out to me. Can't wait to see what else you do with this incredible mod. I wish I could offer my help in someway, but I'm not that talented when it comes to modding so the most I can do is report any bugs I find.  :) Actually, speaking of bugs/features/things, does the Satellite Network research actually do anything right now? I researched it and the game crashes when I try to view the report. This can be avoided by simply allocating new research but there doesn't seem to be a noticeable effect or benefit from this research. Are you still testing this or am I missing something again?

Should work. That tech unlocks a new 2x2 radar facility. Check the building list and see if it is there. That bug should have been fixed though. Not sure what could be the issue. Try the update I have just posted and see if the issue persists.

Holy mother god shit of ....  wow.

You have some serious talents, man. Both for making sprites and organizing the general structure of the game. You freaked me out. Many of the things I've only imagined are actually in here. That's... so sweet ;D Especially every single sprite just looks so brilliant. I hope you keep going with it :)

Thanks for the high praise! I really need to move this to the completed mods forum and release it on the modsite soon to improve visibility. And yes I plan to keep going even if I do take long breaks. Even if I disappear for a while, I always come back to XCom.

Now for the 0.90 version.
Gentlemen... BEHOLD!!!
https://www.openxcom.com/content/files/d3a4809a/XenoOperationsBetaV0.90.zip

Expect a lot of bugs with this one. I had a really hard time getting this thing out the door. The day I was going to release it, openxcom decided that I had added one item too many and the bigobs numbers got all messed up. I hope I have fixed them, but I expect I have missed a few. Also still no Alloy tanks I am afraid. Can't get that blasted turret right. Still I did add four HWPs though two are just small UAVs. The other two are kitbashes. Also added human versions of the alien explosives and a bunch of minor tweaks. Also I added a Lite version without a conversion system and a shorter tech tree for those who want something a little faster pace and closer to vanilla.

Also a note for modders: In the folder HopelessWarAssests are bigobs, floorobs, and handobs for a future challenge version of xenoops. They are not yet implemented, but I am sharing them ahead of time. Including are several futuristic guns intended to be a third tier of ballistic weapons. modders are free to use this so long as I get a mention in the credits.