aliens

Author Topic: Duke Falcon's possible graphics for FMP  (Read 4914 times)

Offline Duke_Falcon

• Colonel
  • *Visit my DA site - click on the small globe!*
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
Duke Falcon's possible graphics for FMP
« on: September 04, 2014, 09:57:16 pm »
Dioxine wrote me in the FMP topic:
"Your Pedia graphics weren't done properly. Never paste over; prepare a RGB picture, THEN change the palette while converting to indexed color. If you can't get it to look good, just send the RGB png you've prepared and we'll make it look good in the Pedia :)"
And he was more than right. So I decided to open this little topic for post my graphics to "make it look good in the Pedia"!

The base of the idea was the experience that many aliens have TFTD copy-paste illustrations what looks odd among the other alien-entries. So, I decided it may be good to make some new Ufopedia pictures. All pictures are X-com palette converted GIF now and I checked all alien pictures in my FMP (they looks good even in full-screen although not as good as the original Microprose graphics)...

So far I make new illustrations for the Tunlun, the Cerebreal and the Reptoid races but others are under work still now (let me say I think I shall remake the Tunlun or edit it a bit I think). Here are the ominous pictures:
Tunlun terrorist and autopsy

Reptoid alive and autopsy

Cerebreal adult alive and autopsy

Salamandron terrorist and autopsy

And two illustration to possibly change the duplicated pedia pictures (it is up to the mod-god who maintain and raise FMP if they were used or not, :) )
Alloy Skyranger and Alloy Cannon

And some alien research entry illustrations extracted from the PS X-com's Game Over video:
Alien infiltration

Alien retaliation

Alien terror\flyby
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:08:14 pm by Duke_Falcon »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Duke Falcon's possible graphics for FMP
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 10:18:56 pm »
The palette you need:

Offline Duke_Falcon

• Colonel
  • *Visit my DA site - click on the small globe!*
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 09:12:44 pm »
The palette you need:

Thanks! Helped a lot!
And also work on the pictures a bit. Few pixels here and there to look bit better. I know you say they are half-decent or something but I not really can do more. I need months of experience for this. But at least they adequate now - no shadows for autopsies, but it hard to spot if you not search it directly - and better than those TFTD copy-paste terrors what was originally implemented in FMP. TFTD just have such a different style that it looks awfully terrible among X-com1 graphics.
I offer some pictures as an alternative. If you want you use it. If not, no worry and problem, I do understand.

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 11:48:34 am »
So far I make new illustrations for the Tunlun, the Cerebreal and the Reptoid races but others are under work still now (let me say I think I shall remake the Tunlun or edit it a bit I think). Here are the ominous pictures:
Tunlun terrorist and autopsy

I've modified some TFTD units to match Duke_Falcon's Tunlun UFOpedia entries.

<This unit uses DrawingRoutine 14>

Despite the source images being from TFTD the new images are setup in the UFO palette.

Spoiler:

I've also attached Duke_Falcon's original UFOpedia and Autopsy images to this post as they were hosted off site.
(Best to keep a more local archive here on the OpenXcom forum, just in case.)