aliens

Author Topic: Savegame converter?  (Read 3876 times)

Offline grzegorj

• Captain
  • grzegorj and Sherlock are my nicknames...
    • View Profile
    • X-COM
Savegame converter?
« on: September 04, 2014, 02:34:48 pm »
Will it be possible to try to add a savegame converter UFO: EU <---> OpenXCom? I realize that because of many (stupid...) limitations of the original game, and many unique (and nice!) features of OXC it is not possible to make an accurate "translation" between savegames. But perhaps it would be possible to get something as similar as possible.

I feel it would help with testing some (yet) not implemented features of the original game like the correct length of alien ship landing on the ground, or of the range of randomless of alien behaviour during tactical and air combat (see my other posts).

It would also be nice to compare if you can catch a Supply Ship with an Interceptor or not - in exactly the same situation, in UFO: EU and in OXC.

As meaning of (lots of / most / nearly all?) bytes in the original savegame is known today, such a converter should not be a serious challenge for a smart programmer... I hope... I wish I was much skillful and wrote such a program but myself... but with my present very limited (rookie  :) ) skills it would really take too much time for me :(

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: Savegame converter?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 03:54:05 pm »
I fear that this will be really really tedious, and probably not worth the trouble... because OXC savegames are yaml-based. You can simply open them in a text editor and change stuff. If you know what to do, you can easily create new UFOs and tell them where to fly, so testing stuff is quite easy. (if you know what to write, that is...)

unfortunately, I have little knowledge about this stuff. but there are several guys on the forum who have done wonders with OXC's yaml-based data... there's a globe editor, and work is being done on a ruleset editor... so maybe creating a savegame editor would be better for playtesting?

Offline pkrcel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 12:29:40 am »
I think that's surely in realm of possibilities....thou I don't know if it would be worth it

Unfortunately thou, I'm also not a competent programmer to get such a thing done.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:52:40 pm »

Offline grzegorj

• Captain
  • grzegorj and Sherlock are my nicknames...
    • View Profile
    • X-COM
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 02:50:45 pm »
OXC savegames are enough readible, and they are not a real problem. A savegame OXC <---> UFO:EU converter could help determine if both games behave similarly in the same situation. For example: will a Skyranger catch a UFO or not. Or: for how long should a Supply Ship stay at the alien base. An OXC savegame editor will not help in it at all.

In other words: it could help compare both games (or: whether OXC mimics the original enough well).