Author Topic: Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal!  (Read 97174 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #016: Scanner!!
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2014, 06:22:54 pm »
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #016: Scanner!!

Another Tactical Mission!  Honing our skills at using the motion scanner and the Law of Unintended Consequences!

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal!
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2014, 08:52:39 pm »
Hey Ivan! Catching up with your LP slowly, now watching 13.

Still great entertainment! And.. I have to mention Inciendiary and Conflagration :D Man, I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard. This was hilarious and you are responsible for making me cry, but it's all good :) I am definitely learning not to reload with you.. If you can get through those, I should make it through my games!

A quick mention regarding mind probes (since you've been experimenting with 'em in the LPs I'm watching): Although you need LoS, you don't need to see the alien. It works exactly like firing a gun. So you don't need to move that close to use it.

Also, why do you not use laser pistols? I've found them to be good short range weapons with their autoshots, so I used to give them to my breachers before I had a mod for shotguns. In the other hand, a taser or stun rod and you're ready to bag or fry some aliens.

And finally: Where did you get your sounds? They sure sound better than my retro ones...

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2014, 02:10:08 am »
Hey Ivan! Catching up with your LP slowly, now watching 13.

Still great entertainment! And.. I have to mention Inciendiary and Conflagration :D Man, I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard. This was hilarious and you are responsible for making me cry, but it's all good :) I am definitely learning not to reload with you.. If you can get through those, I should make it through my games!

A quick mention regarding mind probes (since you've been experimenting with 'em in the LPs I'm watching): Although you need LoS, you don't need to see the alien. It works exactly like firing a gun. So you don't need to move that close to use it.

Also, why do you not use laser pistols? I've found them to be good short range weapons with their autoshots, so I used to give them to my breachers before I had a mod for shotguns. In the other hand, a taser or stun rod and you're ready to bag or fry some aliens.

And finally: Where did you get your sounds? They sure sound better than my retro ones...

The sounds are from this mod: https://www.openxcom.com/mod/high-quality-sounds but I've reset some back to original ( I think the sectoid death, etc).

And yeah, I just figured out PSI Line of Fire in ep 016! XD  ... but great to know!!  I was asking for trouble on some of those!

And the incendiary Grenade... such a classic moment!!  I still laugh about it too!

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2014, 02:42:28 am »
Thanks for the info! I'll look into those sounds.

Trouble is what defines your LP for me: "What kind of trouble will he get into?" and "How will he get out of it?" are two questions that have me going back to your LP more than playing the game (but I'm caught up now!). It makes things really fun. And you have some luck in terrors.. I don't often see 4-5 aliens upon getting out. Holy Cats! I did get a Snakemen + Cyberdiscs night terror mission though (using the alien remix mod), that was "fun".

No comment on laser pistols? I'm still curious ;) And shotguns don't fit the "Up Close and Personal" philosophy, do they? They are pretty close ranged weapons, in fact more so than aimed shots with a pistol.

Finally, I made my own mod regarding psionics, because I thought the "Pisonic Line of Fire" mod was a bit much. I allowed the Mind Probe to disregard LoS. Otherwise it is pretty difficult to use and often it is simpler to stun everything in the navigation/engine room than check which alien to stun. I will be toying with other stuff, like checking if it is possible to add a maximum range to psi-amps (and the aliens' psi weapon), to give XCom short range psi, but aliens longer (with Ethereals having longer range than sectoids). Let me know if that sounds interesting to you.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2014, 03:04:43 am »
Right, the laser pistol.  :)
Yep. Great hold out weapon. On auto shot, nice finishers up close.  I've been more interested in the combat knife due to its low time requirements.  And also, if I'm that close, the stun rod or zapper maybe just what the doctor ordered. ;)

Compared to the standard service pistol, though, I don't see it being more effective at range.  The Laser Pistol takes longer to fire, and the service pistol's pretty admirable range and more shots make it a great tool for the early game, so far.  In my test game, I played with laser pistols, but found my self going back to the 10 mm classic. (thats what I like to think of them as, anyway).

And yeah, Shotguns, are just a bit too much "long gun" and what I've seen of them, didn't really make me want to develop a sawn off shotgun.  I may be missing out, but I haven't really given them much more thought. 

I really want to get my flashbangs and dart pistols soon, but the Armor Path for survive ability is usually a first priority.

Your PSI scheme sounds pretty interesting, and I think Dioxine had some work like that too. :)   

This is my first time playing on PSI Line of Fire, so I'm still figuring it out, but the idea of not getting immediately flayed by Ethereals, was a pretty motivating factor, tbh.  Also the fact that it limits the end game "Mind-Control All The Things" OP mechanic, that is exploitative and boring is an equally huge benefit, imo.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep # 017: PSI Line of Fire!
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2014, 06:43:31 pm »
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep # 017: PSI Line of Fire!

Base management, learning about PSI Line of Fire, and tackling another Large Scout!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #018: Knife Slice!!
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2014, 09:13:01 pm »
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #018: Knife Slice!!

Instant feedback with the Combat Knife! (With more Cowbell ;) )  Intact Large Scout!!  Elerium for Powersuits! Yay!

Promotions All Around!!  Sweet!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #019: Power Armor!!!
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2014, 06:33:07 pm »
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #019: Power Armor!!!

Field Testing XCom's finest protective Gear!

Can someone say "Man of Steel'? ;)

Offline Random Commander

• Captain
  • Making no sense since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2014, 06:42:20 am »
A very good episode, as usual! A few things though:

First, Only 6 recruits left? What are you going to do if and when the list runs out? Lets hope those 6 get promoted soon (Including me, although I bet I'm going to be the absolute last person to be recruited, unless I somehow didn't make the list  :o )

Second, The "UfoPedia" base should correctly represent the "UfoPaedia" website. Basically just add that a inbetween the P and e and you should be good ;D

And third, what are your thoughts about adding the magnum (You know, the one that's in the FMP?) into your lets play? It is a short gun with a powerful bullet but very small clips. I think it's a good addition but I'm not sure if you would accept it.

Please let me know soon!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2014, 08:10:57 am »
@RandomCommander  ;)

I gotta tell you that "a" was giving me fits.   .... yeah, in the commendations ufopedia ruleset for the images, I spent hours trying to get it to work.  Guess how the ruleset section was spelled.  Yup, with an "a"   ::)

Code: [Select]
ufopaedia:
  - id: STR_MEDAL_MERIT_STAR_NAME
    type_id: 7
    section: STR_WEAPONS_AND_EQUIPMENT
    image_id: MERIT_STAR_MEDAL_IMAGE
    text: STR_MEDAL_MERIT_STAR_UFOPEDIA
    text_width: 158
    listorder: 3000

As for the Magnum....   When I set my mod pack up, I looked at a lot of mods and pulled things from all over, combat knife, scout drone, fusion torch (not yet seen), incendiary grenades, etc.   I looked at some of the other pistols out there, and didn't come away with any compelling reason to go beyond the standard service issue hardware.  If anything, I've been so impressed with these pistols.  With aimed shots they are far more accurate than I imagined, and have been working for scout and snipe tactics in the early game fairly well.   Getting back to other modded pistols...  I didn't want to add any more to the series, just for flavor sake if they didn't add a compelling distinctive.  I also wanted to avoid any incredibly OP or out of balance items.

Beyond the service pistol, the next big thing is the plasma pistol, for more stopping power.  I'm not sure how well it will compare, really.  I am not incredibly thrilled with laser pistols at this point.  Auto shot it their only attraction and that is only really good for up close in the UfoExtender accuracy model.   And when I get up close, there are other appealing things, like zappers, rods, knives, etc.

That said, I'm not beyond being convinced that the magnum is awesome, and I gotta have it. ;)  What is its actual stats? How does it compare with the others?

My fond anticipation is for my version of the Toxi-gun from Apocalypse. ;)  My dart gun will have increasing levels of potency, that I really want to try against late game foes. :)  Its going to be a ton of fun with those things, but I need a good manufacturing base to keep them fed. ;)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 07:41:29 pm by ivandogovich »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #20: FlashBang!!
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2014, 06:13:25 pm »
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #20: FlashBang!!

Now we are getting to the good part!  Love this thing!  The Flashbang Grenade Rocks!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #21: Purple Heart!
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2014, 07:40:46 pm »
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #21: Purple Heart!

In this episode we finish off our Large Scout and promotions flood in!  :D

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #22: Bogies!!
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2014, 05:28:03 pm »
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #22: Bogies!!

Two Ufo's Downed!  More Tactical Missions! More Experience!

One Random promotion! ;)  .... that the Commander had previously overlooked!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 05:31:13 pm by ivandogovich »

Offline Random Commander

• Captain
  • Making no sense since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2014, 07:28:54 pm »
Heh, Revealing myself as a wounded guy with only a purple heart as an award? Now that is just WAC. :P

You had a nice save there with the proxy grenade, It scared us all. There is a way to deactivate, yes deactivate grenades by right-clicking the active grenade. I think that might become really valuable if you make a mistake and have a primed grenade on the floor :) EDIT: This has been proven to only work during base inventory and pre-battle inventory.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:52:55 pm by RandomCommander »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2014, 07:40:28 pm »
That Proxie Grenade scare was great moment of tension ;)

I'm happy to have joined the crew! Hopefully will do something useful (at least I'm not too slow and got a good arm!). I'm looking forward to the rest of that mission.