Author Topic: [SOLVED] Fails to start - cannot load ruleset  (Read 6375 times)

Offline abacaps

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Fails to start - cannot load ruleset
« on: August 12, 2014, 07:07:48 am »
I'm having trouble getting it to start. It says 'Failed to load ruleset'. I tried both manual and automatic installs, and I tried both my own copy of x-com - and when that didn't work bought the steam copy, I get the same message. I'm using Windows 8, 64-bit. Thanks for any help, would love to try this classic again.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:01:29 am by abacaps »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: Fails to start - cannot load ruleset
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 08:28:01 am »
Is there a folder called "data" in your openxcom folder? Does that folder contain a folder called "ruleset"? Does that folder contain a file called "xcom1ruleset.rul"?

Did you ever successfully run the game? Or did it crash the first time you tried to run it?

Offline abacaps

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 09:27:55 am »
It contains the folder data, sub-folder Ruleset and the file Xcom1Ruleset.rul. The folder structure is exactly as in the examples provided. It never ran for me (running the non-openxcom Steam version or my other copy works fine though). I also tried copying the folder from the default Program Files to another location but that didn't work either.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:31:04 am by abacaps »

Offline abacaps

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 07:43:46 am »
I just tried to see what happens if I remove the 'data' folder altogether and I get the same message, suggesting that it is not necessarily related to the ruleset but perhaps finding the data folder. In fact I can remove all files and folders except the .dll files and OpenXcom.exe, and I still get the message 'failed to load ruleset'.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 07:55:31 am »
Could it be possible that the folder where your data is located is protected and the system is restricting access to it?
Can you move it to your "Documents" folder and point the game at it?

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline abacaps

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 08:55:22 am »
Yes, that worked, thank you! I had actually moved it from program files to another harddrive for exactly that reason where files should not be protected, but it didn't work (as mentioned above). No idea why the documents folder did work...but it works  :)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: [SOLVED] Fails to start - cannot load ruleset
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 02:43:26 pm »
Awesome!!  I'm glad you will get to experience this awesome game!  ~ Cheers!  :D

Offline abacaps

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 04:13:48 pm »
Much thanks to you! Just lost a game on superhuman already, I'd forgotten how hard it is (maybe iron mode wasn't such a good idea...) :)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 06:10:52 pm »
Hehe! Superhuman is a whole different ballgame on OpenXcom.  The bug in the original that used to reset the game to easy is now gone. :D
I've lost a few Superhuman attempts, myself. ;)

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline abacaps

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 06:35:22 pm »
I played the original x-com with the bugfix but superhuman does seem to be another level in openxcom, maybe I shouldn't have switched on sneaky AI  :o
Though I like the sneaky AI, maybe I'll try an easier level instead...I do love that it's a lot more challenging now :)