aliens

Author Topic: Aliens throwing grenades for less TUs than humans?  (Read 11054 times)

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
Aliens throwing grenades for less TUs than humans?
« on: August 11, 2014, 07:24:50 pm »
I've had a few games where an alien can throw a grenade and afterwards still have time left to fire off a snap shot.  And a few times where an alien exits from a UFO and throws a grenade when I know it shouldn't have had enough time to do all that.

I'm not imagining things, am I?  Is it because Instant Grenades are on?

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
Re: Aliens throwing grenades for less TUs than humans?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:27:02 pm »
You can prime a grenade in one turn and throw it in the next (or any subsequent turn), I'm assuming aliens also do this

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 09:31:21 pm »
I've remembered a situation where a Floater seemed both to fire its weapon and throw a grenade at a scouting HWP on the same turn. That looked odd but at the time I simply thought that there was a second alien nearby. However, afterwards I found no 2nd alien on that location. I remember that my thought was that the alien must have already a primed grenade (I've never seen them doing this on the original but it might be something added by OXC).

At the end I ignored the incident since it could just have been a misperception on my part. Now, after reading the OP I'm more inclined think there might be something there. I'll keep an eye to see if this happens again.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 01:45:09 pm »
Every time I saw an alien throw a grenade, it always exploded after their turn was done (or instantly exploded with Instant Grenades on).  So I don't think aliens know how to prime grenades above 0.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 03:03:12 pm »
Every time I saw an alien throw a grenade, it always exploded after their turn was done (or instantly exploded with Instant Grenades on).  So I don't think aliens know how to prime grenades above 0.

It could prime the grenade with a 0 timer and keep it on its hand until the next turn. 

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 04:14:17 pm »
they prime the grenades as they throw them, and they are charged accordingly. they weren't getting charged for moving it from their belt to their hand, but it IS all properly accounted for

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 07:21:38 pm »
they prime the grenades as they throw them, and they are charged accordingly. they weren't getting charged for moving it from their belt to their hand, but it IS all properly accounted for

The oracle has spoken! ;)

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 04:31:43 pm »
Okay, I just saw a muton walk several tiles and then afterwards throw a grenade primed at 0.  He definitely only had enough time to just throw it, there should've been no time for him to have primed it first.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 07:26:54 pm »
well, yeah, he could have primed it in a previous turn. as long as he carries it, it won't explode... just like it does for your own soldiers.

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 01:04:37 am »
well, yeah, he could have primed it in a previous turn. as long as he carries it, it won't explode... just like it does for your own soldiers.

That is pretty doubtful though. I have never killed an alien and had it explode next turn as if they have dropped a primed grenade.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 04:03:29 am »
True. Hm. Maybe there is really something going on. Maybe the computer is cheating... when it shouldn't be able to.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 04:41:07 am »
in vanilla Xcom TFTD (which I played the most) I often noticed aliens throwing a grenade then taking a snap shot, and those weapons have higher TU costs . . . and then walk around a little

So they are not getting charged for Priming the grenade, only throwing it.

Maybe they have this little implant in their arm that auto-primes their grenades when they throw them eh? Too bad the xcom researchers never found it or the electronic receiver in their grenades that allowed them to be remotely activated in flight.

>>> reasoning ,the aliens never prime their grenades in advance, otherwise there would have been cases where you shoot one and the grenades he drops explode. Nevar happened in the history of gameplay.

(in other news, one can throw a grenade underwater up to a hundred yards, but in doom flynn taggart can carry every weapon in his arsenal too. thats games man)

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 07:43:25 am »
Who's Flynn Taggart?

Surely you're referring to Doomguy ;)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 07:49:41 am »
Who's Flynn Taggart?

Surely you're referring to Doomguy ;)

Who's totally Blazkowicz's grandson BTW :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 07:29:42 pm »
Well in XCom you can carry up to about 7 weapons too, it's not Call of Duty either :)